Embers

Embers

LOST
Feb 24, 2021
Has anyone ever thought of ( or actually used) chloroform to knock them out for an attempt?
I've no idea if this would work, or how you'd obtain chloroform. But in theory, could you take SN ( having done all the prep etc), give yourself a nice big dose of chloroform to sniff, knock yourself out and sleep through the SN killing you?

I

Isitmytime

Jan 26, 2021
Has anyone ever thought of ( or actually used) chloroform to knock them out for an attempt?
I've no idea if this would work, or how you'd obtain chloroform. But in theory, could you take SN ( having done all the prep etc), give yourself a nice big dose of chloroform to sniff, knock yourself out and sleep through the SN killing you?

You apparently can prepare chloroform at home, though I find it too complicated and unreliable (you need to store it properly).

Aside from that, it knocks you out slower than we see in movies, it is hard to self-administer the right amount, and results seem unpredictable. It sounded attractive to just gulp SN and then just drift out of consciousness, but I think for a real overkill I would go with a combination of inert gas+SN instead. Still, too much preparation for me.

Here's a bit of what I found on chloroform - draw your own conclusions:

"The toxic dose of chloroform is 7 to 25 mg/dL (0.59 to 2.1 mmol/L).21 At inhaled concentrations of less than 1500 ppm, physical effects of dizziness, tiredness, and headache are reported; anesthesia occurs at a range of 1500 to 30,000 ppm. Chloroform causes irritation to the respiratory tract. It will cause dry mouth, sedation, confusion, and loss of consciousness within 5 to 10 minutes, and unconsciousness may last up to 30 minutes after removal from exposure. Fatalities occur after 5 to 10 minutes at doses of 25,000 ppm or greater by inhalation.21 Often, death is sudden ("sudden sniffing death") from ventricular dysrhythmias thought to be induced by sensitization of the myocardium to catecholamines.

Death can occur from cardiac arrest and hepatic toxicity with peak elevation of hepatic enzymes 3 to 4 days after exposure and a subsequent return of liver-function tests to normal in survivors."

Reactions: justamortal and Embers