strawberrygirl

strawberrygirl

Jan 12, 2020
Anyone currently going through this now in your country? What is your experience like?

I am currently tagging along with my family.. seeing some relatives that we see once a year.. the elders are exchanging baby photos and saying how precious youth is and putting down how the current generation is producing less babies unlike their generation.. talks about how how with old age now they are weak, frail etc...

It is saddening how this supposingly festive and joyous occasions are plaqued with such topics..

• Hugs
Reactions: LegaliseIt! and StillWaiting
B

Backwood_tilt

UnEnlightened
Dec 27, 2019
I'm thankfully away from my family right now in a different country, but we still keep in touch via text and there's a lot of pressure for me to go back and spend the holidays.

I almost cracked at one point when i told my relative "maybe in another lifetime" in response to their repeatedly asking me to fly there. I'm planning to CTB within the next couple of weeks.

• Hugs
Reactions: LegaliseIt! and strawberrygirl
strawberrygirl

strawberrygirl

Jan 12, 2020
I'm thankfully away from my family right now in a different country, but we still keep in touch via text and there's a lot of pressure for me to go back and spend the holidays.

I almost cracked at one point when i told my relative "maybe in another lifetime" in response to their repeatedly asking me to fly there. I'm planning to CTB within the next couple of weeks.
So much hugs to you. I'm glad for you that you are away, I feel that it's much more peaceful and comfortable to be away for such seasons, not sure if you feel the same, i'm sorry if i assumed. Quality time seems to be non-existent.. all that is is superficiality and talks on looks and career prospects.

Do you enjoy the country where you are now?

StillWaiting

StillWaiting

Need cats to comfort me
Jul 28, 2018
Yes.
It is weird when I hear relatives asking others when they are going to have kids

• Hugs
Reactions: LegaliseIt!
g0921

g0921

Jan 18, 2020
I miss my grandma... She is the only one I love in my family. And the rest I wish them all burn in hell.....

But I don't wanna visit her,
becoz it would only bring up my childhood trauma that caused by my parents and younger sister.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Cevapcici, LegaliseIt! and StillWaiting
strawberrygirl

strawberrygirl

Jan 12, 2020
I miss my grandma... She is the only one I love in my family. And the rest I wish them all burn in hell.....

But I don't wanna visit her,
becoz it would only bring up my childhood trauma that caused by my parents and younger sister.
I'm sure she'll be happy that you have those thoughts and love for her. It means much more than people who visit out of obligation..

• Love
Reactions: g0921 and LegaliseIt!
C

Cevapcici

Student
Dec 30, 2018
Chinese boomers are renown for being a pain in the ass to deal with, you shouldn't really pay attention to that they have to say about the younger generations -_- festive occasions are always plagued with this kind of talk, no matter what culture you grew up in...you know , just , enjoy as much as you can and don't pay attention to whatever you find ridiculous.

B

Backwood_tilt

UnEnlightened
Dec 27, 2019
So much hugs to you. I'm glad for you that you are away, I feel that it's much more peaceful and comfortable to be away for such seasons, not sure if you feel the same, i'm sorry if i assumed. Quality time seems to be non-existent.. all that is is superficiality and talks on looks and career prospects.

Do you enjoy the country where you are now?

Haha, no i don't really enjoy this country for a variety of reasons. I am in Canada right now. Where are you?

No need to apologize. I feel the same way. I know i'm going to CTB and it's annoying juts hearing from my family about all this stuff through text. It does feel quite superficial even in my own family.

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I'm an Asian American living in the US and both my parents are from Taiwan. While both my parents are Americanized, they do recognize Chinese New Year and celebrate it somewhat. As far as the talk of children, getting old, and what not, they didn't really talk about it much. It's almost like it's another regular day, then again, both my parents are boomers and I'm a millennial.

Reactions: deadalready