P

pokerkitty

Apr 17, 2024
A major factor in sourcing your method is what you happen to personally have available to you.

I run multiple businesses importing and reselling Chinese goods across various markets. I've learned a ridiculous amount about ordering and importing from Chinese suppliers.

When I noticed multiple listings on these sites claiming to provide 99.9% helium, I got curious. Some even claim to offer Nitrogen, but I trust those listings less, especially because most offer it only up to 50L, when most guides on here recommend 200

There's a lot of questions to be asked here. For one thing, the helium claim could be bull. Could be the same stuff you can buy at your local Walmart. But it might be a method that, albeit more expensive, avoids having to go out and lie about welding or brewing.

For another thing, is helium even still recommended? I don't see it talked about much anymore, but that might just be because all US sources are impure, now.

Say the helium is legit, 99.9% stuff. Should I just use your standard exit bag?

U

Unspoken7612

Student
Jul 14, 2024
If the helium is legit, then yes, you could use the same method as would be used for nitrogen and the same sort of exit bag.

You'll know better than me but I think you can absolutely believe the nitrogen suppliers. I think you're right to be suspicious of pure helium though. Does the cost make sense? It should be more expensive than balloon gas.

leloyon

leloyon

I'll see you in the Wired.
Feb 4, 2023
For another thing, is helium even still recommended? I don't see it talked about much anymore, but that might just be because all US sources are impure, now.
Not sure about everything else, but I personally blame this on the shilling of other methods, most notably SN, as well as the purity problem you mentioned. That, and it's not the cheapest or most convenient method. SN is just a small bag of chemical that you can shove in any drawer, closet, cupboard, whatever, as opposed to a gas tank, tubing, and whatever mask you're using, which can be quite bulky and hard to store especially when you have people to hide it from, and requires you to set it up.

Reactions: LifeQuitter
P

pokerkitty

Apr 17, 2024
If the helium is legit, then yes, you could use the same method as would be used for nitrogen and the same sort of exit bag.

You'll know better than me but I think you can absolutely believe the nitrogen suppliers. I think you're right to be suspicious of pure helium though. Does the cost make sense? It should be more expensive than balloon gas.
Cost makes sense. Seems about in the $20 range for 50L.

I'm less worried about the nitrogen being pure and more confused about the terminology. I don't know a damn thing about this sort of thing, and I'm going completely off of the guides. Some are recommending 200L, some 2 cubic feet. The Chinese sources seem to mostly be using the term "bar" (like 200 bar, for example)

Would love someone who knows something about these sizes and terms to weigh in. I'm assuming a lot of this comes from the units used over here vs over there.
Not sure about everything else, but I personally blame this on the shilling of other methods, most notably SN, as well as the purity problem you mentioned. That, and it's not the cheapest or most convenient method. SN is just a small bag of chemical that you can shove in any drawer, closet, cupboard, whatever, as opposed to a gas tank, tubing, and whatever mask you're using, which can be quite bulky and hard to store especially when you have people to hide it from, and requires you to set it up.
For me, it's a lot more about the "pleasantness" of the method. Everything about SN sounds like hell. As complex as the exit bag is, the peace of it makes it worth it to me. I'd also like to provide the minimal possible trauma to my housemate, who will almost certainly be the one to find me. There's nothing pleasant about a hanging body.

leloyon

leloyon

I'll see you in the Wired.
Feb 4, 2023
For me, it's a lot more about the "pleasantness" of the method. Everything about SN sounds like hell. As complex as the exit bag is, the peace of it makes it worth it to me. I'd also like to provide the minimal possible trauma to my housemate, who will almost certainly be the one to find me. There's nothing pleasant about a hanging body.
I'm not saying that I personally don't like it, to be honest I prefer it more than SN from what I've heard about the two, that's just my opinion on why it perhaps isn't as popular as it used to be.
Personally I see this as a flaw to an extent. Everyone is hung up on finding a perfect suicide pill or drink that is completely peaceful and painless. You'll see people still agonising over how to source N when inert gas, even considering its flaws, is still a viable option. And you don't have to go around looking for drug stores in Latin America to get any of it.
Although in terms of "minimal possible trauma", my personal plan (if I end up doing it at home) is to block my door (door doesn't have a lock) and pin a note outside explaining the situation.

U

Unspoken7612

Student
Jul 14, 2024
Bar is a measure of pressure, not volume.

You're not actually directly concerned about either the pressure or the pressurised volume, you're concerned about the unpressurised volume. You can work that out if you know the pressure and the pressurised volume.

I think the Peaceful Pill Handbook and similar guides make assumptions about the pressure because that's standardised? That allows them to state a pressurised volume and avoid confusing readers by asking them to do calculations. It's been a while since I looked into this.

A

athiestjoe

Sep 24, 2024
Finding pure helium is difficult due to a 2 year shortage but is available in gas shops. The balloon kits discussed in the PPH are now cut with 20% air/oxygen and not suitable. Someone shouldn't need to find it from a source in China to find it, but other inert gasses are easier to get (argon + nitrogen, common welding gasses). Different companies and manufacturers may be measuring MSI, Bars vs in L so check the measurement and review comparison grids to see if the cannister has enough for an exit method.