E

eighthhouse

Jun 30, 2020
I'm struggling. I'm an amateur poet, and I had dreams of publishing something meaningful to contribute to the world, and now anyone can instantly do what I do by pressing a button, whether they respect the craft or not. I mean, I know GPT-3 poetry isn't great, but I also know the models are getting better. The field is about to be oversaturated with stuff much better than anything I could do alone made by people who don't even care. My talent feels worthless now. Ironically poetry had really helped me not want to commit suicide the past few years. I don't know if I can keep going because I feel I have no purpose anymore. Help?

• Aww..
  • Wow
Reactions: Ultracheese, StolenLife, Regen and 3 others
hungry_ghost

hungry_ghost

جهاد
Feb 21, 2022
I didn't even know such a thing existed until this post.

I'm a poet as well, but I write very rarely nowadays.

I guess it's kind of like AI-generated art, as well, right?

Although, I think deep down people will always prefer the real and organic, versus the vapid, lazily and quickly produced "inferior copy".

Reactions: Regen
chocolatebar

chocolatebar

Paragon
Jul 11, 2021
Is the art in the process or in the physical mount?

When you write a poem, you try to evoke emotions into the reader, you try to pass a message, or something else, but most importantly, you feel everything yourself.

An automated software can join words according to a theme, and following a certain style, but that's it.

There's a lot of nuance in this matter, but I see these kind of software more like tools than anything. You may or may not use them to create artistic works.

So many painters felt the same way you're feeling about AIs, when the first commercial cameras came. They feared that photography would render their art useless, but it didn't happen. Perhaps people admire paintings more today. However, the most important thing is the fact that painters created new artistic movements after photography, like surrealism and abstract, developing further the field. On the other hand, people thought that photography was just clicking and getting the perfect image, but soon learn how deep it is.

You don't have to "compete" with AIs. The entire artistic field will be shaken in the next few years, and you can be part of it.

Just do your art, and do with your heart, because it's not replaceable by any machine part.

Reactions: Lost in a Dream, Ultracheese, mint_parfait and 3 others
R

Regen

I stay in my power
Aug 20, 2020
Oh no. I did not heared about that until your post. Now I did read it... All that new technology and ki makes me anxiety. Wonderful new world...

makethepainstop

makethepainstop

Visionary
Sep 16, 2022
Can anything be more beautiful than those from whose minds come all artistic expression in so many ways?🤓
Can anything be more beautiful than those from whose minds come all artistic expression in so many ways?🤓

Reactions: Regen
M

Moonomyth

Student
Feb 6, 2020
I'm struggling. I'm an amateur poet, and I had dreams of publishing something meaningful to contribute to the world, and now anyone can instantly do what I do by pressing a button, whether they respect the craft or not. I mean, I know GPT-3 poetry isn't great, but I also know the models are getting better. The field is about to be oversaturated with stuff much better than anything I could do alone made by people who don't even care. My talent feels worthless now. Ironically poetry had really helped me not want to commit suicide the past few years. I don't know if I can keep going because I feel I have no purpose anymore. Help?
Yeah it's a tough set of circumstances for poetry as a market, but having some experience with poetry as a publishing field, it's a tough market even without GPT-3. Your best bet is to enter academia in the humanities, explicitly within the creative writing field, and publish anthologies and contribute to literary magazines.

Professional creative writing, in general, isn't a field I'd recommend to most people, and I'd say that's especially the case with poetry: outside of well-known classics up through the mid-20th century, poetry doesn't have much of a mass market.

None of this is to say that you can't publish something meaningful or contribute to the world with your poetry: quite the opposite. The rise of GPT means we have to step away from a central publishing market and decentralize, take things local.

U

Unending

Enlightened
Nov 5, 2022
I personally only find ai art and writing to be worthy of a good laugh. Literally what makes art meaningful is the emotion behind it. Otherwise, is it even still art? Probably not. Even calling it pseudo-art seems a bit too generous.

Reactions: whatevs, Lost in a Dream and Ultracheese