T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
As a kid I always remember being curious why the family of Charlie stayed in bed all day...
And I was either told or assumed they were poorly... .but then that's how they've been his whole young life and suddenly when Charlie brings in a golden opportunity the grandpa or whatever jumps up as if he's a hero. I always remember thinking "hang on a fuckin minute you mean they all have Charlie wrapped around their little finger with no care that he lives in squalor because they've placed obligation curse onto him that he should care for them when it's obvious he wouldn't be in that position if he'd have been properly treated. To me the movie (I won't comment on the book or shitty remakes) was just about emotional abuse.

Is this obvious or is it an opinion of mine? I in fact quite detest the movie and all it appears to stand for.

• Yay!
Reactions: Celerity, beelzebul, Disappointered and 2 others
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Actually- yeah- that used to bother me too- the way the Grandpa was suddenly able to dance around the place. Plus- the whole- everyone is starving hungry but Charlie buys him tobacco.

That's like real life though! A family member used to teach in quite a poor area and do home visits before term started. The parents would have the wide screen TV and latest smartphones while the children would be dressed in dirty clothes with no toys to play with.

• Love
Reactions: beelzebul, Rogue Proxy, leavingthesoultrap and 1 other person
T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
Actually- yeah- that used to bother me too- the way the Grandpa was suddenly able to dance around the place. Plus- the whole- everyone is starving hungry but Charlie buys him tobacco.

That's like real life though! A family member used to teach in quite a poor area and do home visits before term started. The parents would have the wide screen TV and latest smartphones while the children would be dressed in dirty clothes with no toys to play with.
Honestly, what is this realm. But I suppose if everyone had our sanity it could well be a world of equally poor standing through people being bored. But hey ho, stick to blazing saddles, kids...

• Love
Reactions: Forever Sleep
leavingthesoultrap

leavingthesoultrap

(ᴗ_ ᴗ。)
Nov 25, 2023
It is an intersting movie with losts of hidden meanings. Ive read that it is an analogy to drug addiction. Candy = drugs.

Reactions: TooConscious
T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
It is an intersting movie with losts of hidden meanings. Ive read that it is an analogy to drug addiction. Candy = drugs.
Sugar is an addiction like anything, I can't quite see the movie being used metaphorically for the usual substances unless it's like a alcoholic going with their sponsor, food for thought!

Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Yeah, I loved the movie growing up and still have a soft spot for it, but the only adult in the entire movie that shows genuine, unselfish love toward Charlie is his mother whom we see for all but 5 minutes. Everybody else wants something from him.

Without having read the book, I have to wonder how the original story reads. I know the Oompa Loompas and the bad kids failing in the factory was meant to be a morality tale and an indictment of modern parenting. Beyond that, I'm not sure.

T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
Yeah, I loved the movie growing up and still have a soft spot for it, but the only adult in the entire movie that shows genuine, unselfish love toward Charlie is his mother whom we see for all but 5 minutes. Everybody else wants something from him.

Without having read the book, I have to wonder how the original story reads. I know the Oompa Loompas and the bad kids failing in the factory was meant to be a morality tale and an indictment of modern parenting. Beyond that, I'm not sure.
I should have overlooked it again (recapped) so I remember properly as don't recall the mother at all I thought parents were dead. Unless different versions I'm an Ald cunt now so the 70's one I'm going from.
Interesting about the modern parenting metaphor. Cheers!

Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
I should have overlooked it again (recapped) so I remember properly as don't recall the mother at all I thought parents were dead. Unless different versions I'm an Ald cunt now so the 70's one I'm going from.
Interesting about the modern parenting metaphor. Cheers
I had no idea it was that old! I thought it was from the 80s since that's when my older brother was a kiddo.

Mom is there. Diana Sowle apparently plays the part. She sings a sad song about Charlie, and that's about all we see of her as I said, lol.

I'm positive we're talking about the same one. This had Gene Wilder in it.