H

harmonica

Sep 2, 2020
Wondering why it isn't more "popular"? What are the downsides?

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I attempted this method in my second year of college since I had plenty of charcoal to use from art classes and was only stopped when I couldn't find anything to burn the charcoal with. I think there's supposedly no guarantee you can keep the ventilation closed off unless you are in a car in which case why not just use carbon monoxide in a garage? It probably also hurts like hell on your lungs too before you go unconscious and if you survive you could potentially have permanent lung damage too. I'm sure there's other resources here that would do a way better job of explaining the drawbacks though.

Reactions: harmonica
RicRac

RicRac

Aug 15, 2020
If you do it right it would be probably as peaceful as N. I knew 6 people 20 years ago died in a peaceful way in a house by accident, they put the generator inside because the house was too cold, it was during that period of techno raving around Paris in France. They just fell asleep and that's it. And btw the house wasn't sealed at all, there was plenty of air coming from outside, very bad isolation.

Reactions: Mila and harmonica
S

Spitfire

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
The major problem I see with it is the potential to cause other people to be inadvertently harmed.

Even if a warning note is written and staged, there is still no way to be certain a person will actually see and read the warning note prior to entering the space; friends, family, a neighbor, or even a rescuer could be killed. This would be a major concern for me.

It should be carried out carefully to prevent something like this from happening. Otherwise, it seems like a very good choice.

Reactions: harmonica and RicRac
W

WFJ74

Student
Aug 18, 2020
The downside is overthinking it, IMO. I have two grills and a huge bag of charcoal. It'll be more than enough. People have died using only a couple bricks so just make sure you're in a small space and it's well sealed.

Reactions: harmonica
U

unfortunatelyme

Sep 13, 2020
This seems like a very good way to go, but I'm scared I might burn the whole house down or hurt someone accidentally

• Hugs
Reactions: Blueman
S

Spitfire

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
Copy and paste about some things to be aware of when considering this method.

CO poisoning can cause long-term neurocognitive deficits, a potentially devastating injury estimated to impact up to 40% of survivors (1).

Delayed movement disorders have been noted in 13% of 242 CO poisonings with parkinsonism (72%).

including frequent nonpurposeful movements, urinary and fecal incontinence, an inability to care for oneself, disorientation, and depressed consciousness

I'm just posting to point out some of the possible risks involved should it fail. I would not recommend it without having done good research and thourough planning.