Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

If boredom were a CTB method, I would be long gone
Sep 13, 2020
I've only been an active member of the site for 8 days. However, I started lurking 11 months ago.

It absolutely fascinates myself how this site is completely cathartic for me. I perceive that I have obtained more emotional benefit on SS than I received from weekly therapy sessions for somewhere between one year and one and a half years.

Does anybody else feel this way?

Does anyone have theories as to why this site is so cathartic for me and to others perhaps as well?

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: ShornSoloists, Lupgevif, Wisdom3_1-9 and 11 others
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
The anonymity and distance really helps. The idea of group therapy makes me very uncomfortable because I tend to really take in what people are feeling. A room full of distraught and/or suicidal people would be a bit much and wouldn't help me. My job is the most I can handle because it's 1:1 and slightly intimate with one suicidal person, I can't imagine the mental exhaustion of doing any more than that.

It's also easier to be honest behind a screen. There's no therapist watching the session who could lock us up for expressing our honest thoughts, we can say whatever we feel we need to say. We can support each other more sincerely.

• Hugs
Reactions: ShornSoloists, Dr Iron Arc, Deleted member 1465 and 5 others
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I think this place is far better than therapy. There's always someone who can directly relate to your situation. Plus you have the freedom to express yourself without the fear of being sectioned.

You hear about the goodbye threads but you rarely hear about the success stories. It's of my strong opinion that the majority of users go on to recovery with this place being a key factor in it.

• Love
Reactions: ShornSoloists, Wisdom3_1-9, Mm80 and 9 others
SipSop

SipSop

Arcanist
May 7, 2020
I've only been an active member of the site for 8 days. However, I started lurking 11 months ago.

It absolutely fascinates myself how this site is completely cathartic for me. I perceive that I have obtained more emotional benefit on SS than I received from weekly therapy sessions for somewhere between one year and one and a half years.

Does anybody else feel this way?

Does anyone have theories as to why this site is so cathartic for me and to others perhaps as well?
Perhaps one didn't wanted to be loved as he wanted to be understood.

Reactions: demuic, ShornSoloists, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga and 4 others
XYZ

XYZ

I just can’t get these damn wrists to bleed
Jul 22, 2020
Yes, this place is good for my nerves he he he.

I don't have to fit in, to conform or censure myself when it comes to issues such as health, suicide, failure and regrets.

This place is freedom and company during hard times. Cheers!

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: ShornSoloists, SipSop, Deleted member 1465 and 3 others
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
The community here is helpful. It does not matter for what reason you come here, because there is a place for almost anyone - it is very welcoming. You can be honest and show who you truly are without being judged harshly. The environment is refreshing compared to many other communities online

...And most importantly of all: people here tend to be reasonable. Even if someone doesn't agree with another persons view(s) they will (usually) try to understand or constructively argue with that person, and it often brings about interesting discussions.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: ShornSoloists, Deleted member 1465, XYZ and 2 others
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
It can be cathartic and a positive experience if you allow it to be so. It can also be dangerous if you let it; an addiction that drags you down and reinforces negativity. Or it can just be information. It is whatever you bring with you at your core.
Personally, I have found it beneficial. Members on here may even have saved my life by making me feel I had some value at a time when I was almost abandoned, allowing me to drill down and find the resilience that was still there (I hope). It doesn't give me what it did. I'm wary of it and wary of getting too close to people I may lose, but the anonymity, empathy and lack of judgement is something that is sorely lacking in those IRL who would claim to want to help.

• Love
Reactions: ShornSoloists, Brink, XYZ and 3 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
For me, it just feels refreshing to be on a website where people actually support each other for the most part and aren't caught up in virtue signaling or trying to make themselves look better. Looking at you, Twitter. Everyone here seems to have suffered but for a variety of reasons yet we all reached a far enough point to have joined this site in the first place so everyone has that in common. Here I can spit out words I normally can't find the clarity or courage to say not even to my therapist.

• Love
Reactions: ShornSoloists, Umbreon, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga and 1 other person
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
I think its because we are almost unconditional in support, its the closest we will get to unconditional support.
Therapists may well care but they are getting paid at the end of the day. And although they are supportive most are not comfy with the subject of suicide and you will sense that as the client. They also want you to get better so there will be some pressure there.
On here we dont gain from each other financially or in any other way than pure support.
I was saying to max the other night that i have laughed from my interactions here more than irl and we are all meant to be depressed ! How does that one work?
Its the kind of place where your not gonna be judged for what colour nail polish you wear ☺

• Love
Reactions: ShornSoloists, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga and Chupacabra 44
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
This site has saved me from some of my darkest times and brought me back from the edge. It's a second home, a place of pure freedom to talk as I need to and want to. I don't think I'd still be here if I hadn't discovered this site.

• Love
Reactions: ShornSoloists, Chupacabra 44, XYZ and 3 others
Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

If boredom were a CTB method, I would be long gone
Sep 13, 2020
I am getting worried you guys might push me into recovery. (No joke).

What are the lurking pro-lifers going to think about that!!

Reactions: ShornSoloists and mahakaliSS_MahaDurga