Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
this is my first time having indoor cats and my first time using litter (i used something else in the past). the bag of litter say 8cm but when i took my measuring tape to it that almost filled it up to the top and this is a tall box, the last one i had wasnt even this tall what do they want people to do? over fill them?

and second question, it says to just fill it up when it starts to get low. which for now i did but.....idk wouldnt you like your toilet cleaned now and again?

this whole thing just doesnt make sense to me and help would be appreciated.

(i got them to help with depression so this totally belongs on this forum lol. i just dont really have anyone else to ask and i know theres a few other pet owners here)

Last edited:
W’ren

W’ren

Worthless
Oct 28, 2020
Hi!
For the cat litter, you need to scoop it, so you get a cat litt scoop… and you clean the litter that way, if that's what you mean…

But what i always did was once the litter got low and nasty after having refilled it a couple of times, i would empty the litterbox out completely and start again with new cat litter.

Don't clean the cat litter box with chemicals or anything though because your kitties will want to recognize their own scent on the cat litter box when climbing back in on the new litter.

Then go through the whole scooping/getting low/refilling a few times then dumping the nasty stuff all over again. And refill and repeat! :heart:

Reactions: nolongerhuman, GrumpyFrog, nightnightnitrite and 1 other person
nightnightnitrite

nightnightnitrite

baby blues
Apr 17, 2021
Personally, I use to fill my kitty litter box to about halfway up the side. My cat wasn't too fussy and got used to it immediately. Once there was about 4-5 clumps I would scoop them all out. If the kitty litter looked low I would pour some more on top. I only did a complete litter exchange every 2 weeks(3 weeks if I was slacking) or if I smelt it too much. I would clean the box with water and dawn dish soap(or anything non toxic). They are pretty low maintenance but keeping their box clean keeps the rest of the home clean. I had kittens so they weren't as good at staying clean by theirselves and liked to track poop around so I had to stay extra on top of it. Congrats on you new cats, I hope they give you lots of love<3

Reactions: W’ren and western_heart
western_heart

western_heart

trying to save ourself
May 23, 2021
The litter I use has instructions to dump it all and clean the box monthly using a mild detergent

In practice... we only have one cat and scoop the box every day, so we get away with doing that every few months. I'm not sure what my SO does to clean it though.

Reactions: W’ren and nightnightnitrite
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
@Echo @nightnightnitrite @western_heart ok thats exactly what i thought and what hubby suggested as well

also nightnightnitrite, they arent exactly new. ive had them for a couple years, this is just my first time using litter. we were using a different product before, thnx though :)

i do scoop it a couple times a day, so they are kept clean it was just that the bag of litter i have says just to top it off and that didnt seem like the right thing to do lol

thank you guys this was very helpful and made me feel more confident about how im taking care of my girls

• Hugs
Reactions: W’ren and nightnightnitrite
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Everybody gangsta until the pussy starts shitting.

• Yay!
Reactions: nolongerhuman, GrumpyFrog and BottomlessPit