S

SadLoser

Jul 31, 2021
I just can't. I've always been terrible at it. I try, but it doesn't click with me. I'm probably going to drop out of college soon because of it. I need more time to think about what I want to do.

Does anyone know what careers don't require you to use math? I don't care about making large amounts of money, but i'd want to be making more than I would working in McDonald's basically, just a respectable middle class salary.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Amumu and $nowLeopard
Amumu

Amumu

Ctb - temporary solution for a permanent problem
Aug 29, 2020
Law, politics or medicine (to a certain extent for the latter) don't require maths.

But since you're already in college, I think you should think a lot about that before quitting.

Reactions: Skathon, Angst Filled Fuck Up and SadLoser
S

SadLoser

Jul 31, 2021
Law, politics or medicine (to a certain extent for the latter) don't require maths.

But since you're already in college, I think you should think a lot about that before quitting.
Doesn't medicine require you to be super smart though? Same with law?

I'll see how my Christmas exams go. But I don't think i'm ready for college. I took a 2 year break after highschool and I thought it would be fine now but I still feel like it's not my time. I'm just depressed and feel like crap there, work aside. I want to move out of my parents' home for a bit and try feeling like an adult for the first time.

• Hugs
Reactions: Amumu
Amumu

Amumu

Ctb - temporary solution for a permanent problem
Aug 29, 2020
Doesn't medicine require you to be super smart though? Same with law?

Well it depends on the country you live in, but if it's not too competitive you can do anything like that with a normal IQ.

Reactions: SadLoser
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
I would say most careers don't require math. It probably just feels like they do now because it's a mandatory part of college. I mean I flunked the shit out of it too. But realistically you can do just about anything while still being bad at it.

Bootleg Astolfo

Bootleg Astolfo

Glorious Bean Plushie
Oct 12, 2020
Do what people with awfull grades here do ! Construction or mining ! Basic grunts in both fields with minimal formation make more than the people who go to college lol. Crane operator make like 80 000$ a year, and it's not even a full 1 year course to be qualified. If youre good and you make it to foreman, or go work in the north, you can make straight up doctor salaries at 125-150 000$.

• Wow
Reactions: SadLoser
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
But realistically you can do just about anything while still being bad at it.
You can't be a good sex worker if you can't count

Calculate Figure It Out GIF by Originals

Crane operator make like 80 000$ a year, and it's not even a full 1 year course to be qualified.
I bet you're a great crane operator :wink: @Bootleg Astolfo

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: Angst Filled Fuck Up
S

SadLoser

Jul 31, 2021
Do what people with awfull grades here do ! Construction or mining ! Basic grunts in both fields with minimal formation make more than the people who go to college lol. Crane operator make like 80 000$ a year, and it's not even a full 1 year course to be qualified. If youre good and you make it to foreman, or go work in the north, you can make straight up doctor salaries at 125-150 000$.
For real? Crane operators make that much? What's the catch? Don't you... literally just move stuff around with cranes all day?

Reactions: Skathon
Bootleg Astolfo

Bootleg Astolfo

Glorious Bean Plushie
Oct 12, 2020
For real? Crane operators make that much? What's the catch? Don't you... literally just move stuff around with cranes all day?
The catch is that no one wants to do the job and there's a lot of demand for it lol. It looks boring and repetitive, but if youre looking for a very well paid job that doesnt need you to have really good physic or intellect, it's a pretty good deal.

TheHatedOne

TheHatedOne

Death is salvation
Sep 26, 2021
Translator
Security guard
Historian

that's all I can think of now.

Sayo

Sayo

Not 2B
Aug 22, 2018
Translator
Security guard
Historian

that's all I can think of now.
These ones are good, being a security guard is pretty viable and translator is definitely an option.

Whoever said law/medicine is right too, you have to work very hard to get through school - not the same thing as being smart but it requires a lot of rote memorisation. There's also the option of not practising as a doctor or a lawyer but working in those fields clerically, e.g. as a medical secretary (requires technical certification, but it's more like you'll have to memorise and become comfortable with a lot of medical jargon and accurately record it, not math), paralegal, etc. There's stuff like being a phlebotomist (person who collects blood for pathology) too. In Australia and the UK, you don't go to university for that, you go to a trade school (technical college, I guess?) and then get trained on the job. Similarly, being a computer scientist requires you understand math, and being a programmer requires you to study some math and occasionally do it (unless you get a job without certification, increasingly rare), but working in IT doesn't require math.

In Australia, most tradeswork and manual labour actually pays pretty well, and the math you have to do is relatively minimal. So, yeah, construction, mining, but other stuff too. Truck driving (hard work though).

Most things in STEM fields require you to take a little obligatory math. People struggle with it, accept they might do poorly in it and aim for a pass, get through, and graduate. I double majored in math and something else, but I had to do remedial math due to the state of my HS education and believed I was a hopeless case (doing remedial math probably put me in a better state to do math than most people). Turns out I liked it, and it's useful enough in conjunction with other fields. Anyway, my bio major had special math and stat classes you had to take - and I took the math major math and stat classes too, the proper ones, so I can compare - and they were adjusted so that almost anyone could pass. They were hard for a lot of people, sort of like chemistry gives a lot of people who do bio trouble, but they just had to do one or two units and they were out. Something to keep in mind if your interests lie in an area where math is nominally required - you might not need much to graduate and the job itself might not involve a lot.

Hell, you need more math to learn to be, say, an electrician than to be one - but that's because you need to understand how it works a little enough to build up the required 'sense' for things.

If you're in the US, I don't know if trade schools require the same sort of financial investment as university, or if apprenticeships are widely available, but at least take a look at what they offer, because it'll give you the same sorts of ideas as people are throwing out here.

It kind of sounds like you're not looking for a career so much as steady pay while you work out whether you want to go to college or not and try some independence? I apologise if that's incorrect. Consider less secure stuff like data entry too if that's the case and/or while going to school, From someone who's 28 with almost no formal work experience - getting it when you can helps a lot, even if it's not in your dream field.

Last edited: