N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
This is my personal opinion in it. Maybe I don't have the right to judge it. Maybe only the surviviors and their loved ones can make this judgement.

Here is a good article on it. There were state funded christian schools where indigenous should assimilate to the Canadians culture. This often resulted in abuse, domestically and sexually. Many children even died because of it. And I assume some of them also have committed suicide because of this trauamtic experiences.

The indigenous people seemingly struggle nowadays a lot of from mental illness, drug abuse like alcoholism and low life quality.
I can perfectly relate to that. I also experienced a decade long child-abuse. It kills your soul. I feel very sorry for them.
Canada is often perceived as a very humanistic and civilized country though probably every country has its dark sides.

I read many elderly people were very thankful to Francis to express this apology. As I said maybe I should not have the right for it. But I think this is not enough. I think the church should pay the survivors and their families more money. Don't know how much they currently spend on reparations. But in my country the amounts are jokes.

The thing is for me: the church would have never admitted it if there was no pressure. If it had been possible they would have kept quiet about it forever. They are hypocrites.

The descriptions of these schools sound nightmarish. Thank you catholic church/other christian religions to produce more totally broken people. Now you can tell everyone of them that they go to hell if they kill themselves.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: kråkevind, archipelago, rationaltake and 3 others