• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

H

hellodarkness

Dec 8, 2020
No this is not a good idea. Most mental illnesses are more than one or two defining symptoms- you have to have a certain collection in tandem, sometimes in certain time frames (ex. bipolar mania versus depression timelines versus borderline personality mood swing timelines are very different).

If you think you have a legitimate mental health problem, please seek a psychiatrist. They will evaluate you and get you any help you might need.

Reactions: Sensei, Bazzinga and Donk
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
You should NEVER do this, some times the symptoms that you experience may be from something other than a mental illnesses, also, they tend to write those articles in a very broad way so you may think that you perfectly fit the criteria for one of these conditions, when in reality there is far more nuance to it and even health professionals tend to misdiagnose patients.

Seriously, don't read about mental health online, there's a hypochondriac crisis right now and it goes beyond mental health. the more you read, the more you will internalize those symptoms. I'm not saying that there's no chance that you have whatever you are reading about, but this is something that you should ask a professional about and interact with people with the diagnosed condition.

This is why 99% of people on social media like reddit or twitter think that they have depression, anxiety or even autism. and they make the actual people struggling with these conditions look like a joke.

Reactions: demuic, b&w, Nodscene and 3 others
clownangel

clownangel

Student
Sep 25, 2019
the more you read, the more you will internalize those symptoms.
This is probably my biggest concern with self diagnosis of anything. On the flip side, @Wannadie2592 - if you've read something and it hits home for you it could be worth bringing up with a doctor/psych/etc. I used to keep really detailed notes on how I was feeling (physically & mentally because I have health issues in both areas) and it helped narrow the scope a bit to rule things out and evaluate others instead of some of the vague medical questionnaires. (Then I could go in like "I've been experiencing xyz, I read THIS and it lines up a bit but what do you think?")

....But yeah, a lot of the time reading into it can exaggerate things and make figuring out what's going on even more challenging so keep that in mind for sure.

Reactions: b&w and Bazzinga
Bazzinga

Bazzinga

Lost
Dec 25, 2020
You should NEVER do this, some times the symptoms that you experience may be from something other than a mental illnesses, also, they tend to write those articles in a very broad way so you may think that you perfectly fit the criteria for one of these conditions, when in reality there is far more nuance to it and even health professionals tend to misdiagnose patients.

Seriously, don't read about mental health online, there's a hypochondriac crisis right now and it goes beyond mental health. the more you read, the more you will internalize those symptoms. I'm not saying that there's no chance that you have whatever you are reading about, but this is something that you should ask a professional about and interact with people with the diagnosed condition.

This is why 99% of people on social media like reddit or twitter think that they have depression, anxiety or even autism. and they make the actual people struggling with these conditions look like a joke.
So could that mean I might be faking something I didn't have;( that thought just makes it worse but I've been self harming for quite a while and my suicidal thoughts are pretty high and I won't be able to afford myself a psychiatrist too:(does that mean I might be faking something for attention?I've been thinking about it but I don't know can I be faking this for attention?that just makes it look so horrible:(I've been asking myself this for a while

signifying nothing

signifying nothing

-
Sep 13, 2020
Yeah, try not to get stuck with a label (in any part of your life) as they can end up defining you.

Reactions: Meditation guide, b&w and Bazzinga
Bazzinga

Bazzinga

Lost
Dec 25, 2020
I keep asking myself if im faking it it's just that I've never been diagnosed because I haven't had means to get to talk to a psychiatrist,but if I'm not clinically depressed then I'm not depressed right?I don't know what to think anymore it's like I feel like shit all the time like I'm worthless,I don't deserve to be loved or cared.But I don't know if your not diagnosed depressed you aren't depressed right??am I not depressed or am I?it's like im trying to act depressed but I'm not?sorry for being weird I just feel really unstable rn:(

clownangel

clownangel

Student
Sep 25, 2019
But I don't know if your not diagnosed depressed you aren't depressed right?
This is why I think some self diagnosis can be useful - I know the mental health care system just about anywhere isn't the most accessible thing. Someone can certainly be depressed without ever having the formal stamp of approval on it - it doesn't cancel out your feelings/experience just because you haven't been able to see anyone about it.

I hope you can talk to a professional about it as soon as you can, even though getting a depression diagnosis isn't "good news" having that validated by someone else can help get rid of the stress from feeling unstable or unsure about it.

Reactions: MindFrog, Sensei and Bazzinga
Bazzinga

Bazzinga

Lost
Dec 25, 2020
This is why I think some self diagnosis can be useful - I know the mental health care system just about anywhere isn't the most accessible thing. Someone can certainly be depressed without ever having the formal stamp of approval on it - it doesn't cancel out your feelings/experience just because you haven't been able to see anyone about it.

I hope you can talk to a professional about it as soon as you can, even though getting a depression diagnosis isn't "good news" having that validated by someone else can help get rid of the stress from feeling unstable or unsure about it.
Thank you so much but I won't be able to meet a psychiatrist in person but I can do anything online tho if there are any free therapy sessions or psychiatric sessions you know of or might heard of I would like to know:)and it would really be helpful:)

Reactions: clownangel
D

Deleted member 14573

Feb 2, 2020
Best not to do so.

If you think that you have a particular mental illness then bring it up with a psychiatrist. I thought I had anxiety but was recently diagnosed with a personality disorder.

Though I will say that different psychiatrists have given me different diagnosis so I try to focus on the treatment aspect rather than the illness/diagnosis.

Psychiatry can be really frustrating sometimes but you have to leave it to the experts.

Reactions: clownangel and Bazzinga
clownangel

clownangel

Student
Sep 25, 2019
Thank you so much but I won't be able to meet a psychiatrist in person but I can do anything online tho if there are any free therapy sessions or psychiatric sessions you know of or might heard of I would like to know:)and it would really be helpful:)
I found a sort of round up of resources through NAMI - could help to go down the list (though I know it's overwhelming when you're already struggling) - Not sure where you are (Most of these are for the US) so it might be useless to you but has some good ways to start or search terms to use. I have awful government bottom of the barrel insurance but it still covers some therapy/psych stuff. (Sometimes primary care doctors can get referrals or help with a diagnosis too! When I was a teenager I actually got diagnosed by my primary care doctor, maybe you can talk to them on the phone or have a telehealth appointment and they can point you to the right people.)

As far as therapy/etc online goes a few of my friends have used both BetterHelp & Talk Space and I think they're cheaper than traditional appointments. Of course treatment is only as good as the doctor you're working with - if you don't click with someone you can (and should!) switch. Hope it helps, I think most of the population has had depression at some point but not everyone figures it out, knowing and acknowledging it is half the issue. I felt so much better once I knew I wasn't just making myself nuts on purpose so I hope you get that validation & relief too aha.

Oh - also for free stuff, I know most of us on here aren't a huge fan of crisis helplines (with good reason) but there might be something similar to call and talk to someone. I think there's a text line for one of them - could give it a shot and ask about how to get diagnosed.
Though I will say that different psychiatrists have given me different diagnosis so I try to focus on the treatment aspect rather than the illness/diagnosis.
That's for real the most frustrating thing to me. Great advice, though - even if the name changes the symptoms/cause and the treatment is the part that's actually relevant aha.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bazzinga and b&w
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
Why bother when you can just pop your head in any psych's office and watch them tally up a dozen disorders on their little notepads. We are all mentally ill and insane according to Psychology/Psychiatry. People can doctor shop until they get the label they want, the DSM is a joke. If I gave even their general rhetoric any credence, I would probably say self-diagnosis is more accurate than any "official" category you would be boxed into.

Reactions: Bazzinga and Deleted member 14573
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
So could that mean I might be faking something I didn't have;( that thought just makes it worse but I've been self harming for quite a while and my suicidal thoughts are pretty high and I won't be able to afford myself a psychiatrist too:(does that mean I might be faking something for attention?I've been thinking about it but I don't know can I be faking this for attention?that just makes it look so horrible:(I've been asking myself this for a while
I don't think that you are necessarily faking it for attention, and hypochondria is rarely about it.

the way I see it, you are concerned about your health and started googling symptoms, then you fell into the rabbit hole of articles about mental health and internalized some of it, many people (and I mean many) have had this happen to them, it's quite common so don't feel alone or that you are faking something, many people have found answers, but this is definitely not the way to have a healthy diagnosis.

may I ask what condition you think you have?

My only advice here would be: just stop googling health stuff and don't stress yourself over something that you don't know the answer to, you'll do yourself an immense favor, seriously. then you can ask about it to someone with experience in mental health, no one on this forum can give you an actual diagnosis and neither can those dangerous googled articles, it'll just feed those thoughts, try to think about something else and occupy your mind.

Reactions: Bazzinga and b&w
BluesRunTheGame

BluesRunTheGame

Blackpilled
Dec 15, 2020
I had a longer answer that I idiotically managed to delete but basically it seems to me you have clinical depression and I wish you get a GP who helps you with it.

Reactions: Bazzinga
awfullife

awfullife

Arcanist
Nov 16, 2019
Why bother when you can just pop your head in any psych's office and watch them tally up a dozen disorders on their little notepads. We are all mentally ill and insane according to Psychology/Psychiatry. People can doctor shop until they get the label they want, the DSM is a joke. If I gave even their general rhetoric any credence, I would probably say self-diagnosis is more accurate than any "official" category you would be boxed into.
Agree 95% and I worked in mental health in psych mental health industry for 2 years.

Reactions: Bazzinga
b&w

b&w

Nov 12, 2020
I made the mistake of doing this: defining myself by a label. It can be helpful sometimes to have a like-minded community of people to lean on for support if you exhibit some of the traits of those mental illnesses, but it's not a good idea nor is it healthy to say you have this or that without an official diagnosis.

• Hugs
Reactions: Bazzinga and Fragile
Nodscene

Nodscene

Its time
Jun 7, 2019
Initially you should be able to just talk to your family doctor as they should be able to either narrow down the possibilities or even diagnose you and treat. A psychologist or psychiatrist may not be needed at all or at least for a while depending on what you have.

I don't know if it's different here in Canada but all the meds I got for depression were from my family doctor and not anyone else. That being said you have a much higher chance of feeling better with meds and professional help.

Please take into consideration what LastFlowers said as the DSM really is a joke now and everything is a diagnosable condition these days. So don't be afraid to stand up for yourself if you think a diagnosis is wrong or they are claiming symptoms you don't have. Chances are you won't run into that kind of situation but knowledge is power :)

Reactions: Bazzinga and Deleted member 14573
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
try not to get stuck with a label (in any part of your life) as they can end up defining you.
This is so true. No labels. Even if it's one from a so called professional. If you accept a label on yourself it's going to be stuck in your head that's what you are. Then it's going to mess with you. It's fine if you need that label as an explanation of some of your behavior but do not let it define you. It's a slippery slope.

Everyone says get a diagnosis from a professional. I got two wrong diagnosis's from shrinks. And being vulnerable and trusting, I believed them. Psychiatrists are in the business of labeling everyone and they will label you even if they don't know what they are talking about and don't know you or understand you at all.
Then you will spend years walking around thinking you are whatever label they put on you. It becomes you identifying yourself a certain way.

Last edited:
Reactions: MindFrog