ihatepain

ihatepain

I never wanted to be born.
Mar 24, 2019
I am planning to jump off a 31 storey building but the desired landing spot is not a very big area. There are plants and small trees 15 feet from the concrete area (which is my desired landing spot). The concrete area is exactly below me from my jumping spot. Can the wind blow me to different directions while I'm falling thus causing me to land on the plants/trees instead of the concrete area?

C

CursedAccount1234

Aug 5, 2019
I am planning to jump off a 31 storey building but the desired landing spot is not a very big area. There are plants and small trees 15 feet from the concrete area (which is my desired landing spot). The concrete area is exactly below me from my jumping spot. Can the wind blow me to different directions while I'm falling thus causing me to land on the plants/trees instead of the concrete area?

Yes. Make sure to make yourself aerodynamic

Lookingforabus

Lookingforabus

Arcanist
Aug 6, 2019
Yes, it sure can. Elvita Adams survived a suicide attempt from the top of the Empire State Building... because a gust of wind blew her back into the building, where she landed on an 85th story ledge instead of the ground.

Not a whole lot you can do about it when you're in the air. A horizontal position while in the air would minimize the effects of wind, but I'd definitely wait until there's no wind, especially with a small target area.

Reactions: ihatepain and woxihuanni
Stan

Stan

Factoid Hunter
Aug 29, 2019
If the building is in an area with other similar sized buildings there is a known phenomena that they create a wind tunnel effect. Go to any such place and on the ground you will see dust devils a lot and maybe experience gusts of wind, this is a good indicator of what you would experience higher up. Best to make the surface are as small as possible so a 'cannonball' or 'bomb' dive would reduce that

Reactions: ihatepain
BridgeJumper

BridgeJumper

The Arsonist
Apr 7, 2019
Does it apply to bridge jumping too?
Damn. I really dont wanna miss the concrete spot and become a vegetable. Maybe Ill go back to the plan of hanging myself off the bridge railing? That way no room for failure

ihatepain

ihatepain

Mar 24, 2019
Yes, it sure can. Elvita Adams survived a suicide attempt from the top of the Empire State Building... because a gust of wind blew her back into the building, where she landed on an 85th story ledge instead of the ground.

Not a whole lot you can do about it when you're in the air. A horizontal position while in the air would minimize the effects of wind, but I'd definitely wait until there's no wind, especially with a small target area.
If there is hardly any wind that I feel from the place I jump from, would it be safe to jump?
Get the "windy" app.

Don't wear loose-fitting clothing.
Thanks

Reactions: Baskol1
C

calendulo

Enlightened
Jun 13, 2019
31 storey, i do not know in feets, but 31X2,50 mts as minimun..........80 mts.
I think that does not mind wherever you fell. Guess you are going to blow inside up yourself.

Reactions: Baskol1 and ihatepain
Lookingforabus

Lookingforabus

Arcanist
Aug 6, 2019
If there is hardly any wind that I feel from the place I jump from, would it be safe to jump?

Depends on your risk tolerance. I assumed you'd be about 120 meters up (31 stories at about 4 meters per story, which is the general average in my country), which gives you a freefall time of 5 seconds.

One mile per hour is 1.467 feet per second, so it doesn't take much wind to move a free falling body a fair bit off target, and you have a small landing zone. Of course, the momentum of the air won't transfer to you perfectly, so you won't be blown off course by nearly the whole amount, but something to keep in mind. I wouldn't risk it in anything stronger than a light breeze, but it's your call.

31 storey, i do not know in feets, but 31X2,50 mts as minimun..........80 mts.
I think that does not mind wherever you fell. Guess you are going to blow inside up yourself.

It definitely matters. People have survived parachutes not opening because they landed in snow drifts and swampy ground and so on. From only 30 stories up, crashing through some tree branches and landing on grass is very survivable.

Reactions: Baskol1 and ihatepain
C

calendulo

Enlightened
Jun 13, 2019
It definitely matters. People have survived parachutes not opening because they landed in snow drifts and swampy ground and so on. From only 30 stories up, crashing through some tree branches and landing on grass is very survivable.

Sincerely, I have not any valid argument to say you. Imho 80 or 90 mts to the ground means a sure death.
fate can decide that you survived, but that's ramdomly.

ihatepain

ihatepain

Mar 24, 2019
Depends on your risk tolerance. I assumed you'd be about 120 meters up (31 stories at about 4 meters per story, which is the general average in my country), which gives you a freefall time of 5 seconds.

One mile per hour is 1.467 feet per second, so it doesn't take much wind to move a free falling body a fair bit off target, and you have a small landing zone. Of course, the momentum of the air won't transfer to you perfectly, so you won't be blown off course by nearly the whole amount, but something to keep in mind. I wouldn't risk it in anything stronger than a light breeze, but it's your call.

Thank you for your insight.

Lookingforabus

Lookingforabus

Arcanist
Aug 6, 2019
Sincerely, I have not any valid argument to say you. Imho 80 or 90 mts to the ground means a sure death.
fate can decide that you survived, but that's ramdomly.

Well, no offense, but that's extremely irresponsible. You don't have anything to back up your opinion, which seems to be based on TV or movies, rather than facts, analysis or case studies, and anyone who takes your unfounded opinion seriously is likely to wind up seriously injured or paralyzed. There are just hundreds of verified accounts of people surviving long falls by hitting tree branches to slow them down enough to survive impact, including people falling or jumping from planes kilometers in the air, so please stop endangering people by saying trees don't matter. They do.

Reactions: ihatepain and Baskol1
C

calendulo

Enlightened
Jun 13, 2019
Well, no offense, but that's extremely irresponsible. You don't have anything to back up your opinion, which seems to be based on TV or movies, rather than facts, analysis or case studies, and anyone who takes your unfounded opinion seriously is likely to wind up seriously injured or paralyzed. There are just hundreds of verified accounts of people surviving long falls by hitting tree branches to slow them down enough to survive impact, including people falling or jumping from planes kilometers in the air, so please stop endangering people by saying trees don't matter. They do.
No problem, I can not take offence in a different language. I think that is an advantage.
It is an interesting subject.
But sadly I would loved to be debating this issue, but I am afraid that my english level is not good enough for it and I could easily made a semantic mistake in any sentence and it seeing censorship level on here, I must not risk, at least until I had decided my final exit and I need one week more at least.
I really hope you get a bad impression from me.