easypeasy

easypeasy

Jul 1, 2024
I just considered an idea. But first, some background: I live rather independently. I cannot work or care for myself due to physical pain and mobility issues following a botched medical procedure (several, in fact).

I wonder if I could tell people I have a serious form of cancer or heart defect, so when I do cbt, the rumour mill, my legacy and the pain others will feel could be minimised? I surely can stipulate I would NOT like an autopsy. Of course… my Drs will expose the truth. Perhaps I could complain of severe headaches or chest pain for a few weeks? Then again…I have made all arrangements to minimise the pain and stress after I'm gone… so maybe it won't matter.

I suppose I didn't think this post through, but I'd still like to hear others ideas on this topic.

Reactions: davidtorez
C

CatLvr

Arcanist
Aug 1, 2024
A few years ago a man my husband worked with ctb. To this day no one knows why. He left no notes, far as anyone knows he didn't have any horrible medical diagnosis, nothing. Of course, it could be that the family knows and is just not sharing but ... I mean I think it could be done. Especially if you start complaining about pains you don't have now (or pain you have now worsening). I have often joked that given the neurological symptoms I have with my migraines and cluster headaches that it would take me a week to figure out I was actually having a stroke. 🤷

• Love
Reactions: davidtorez and easypeasy
Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
Pretend to have cancer? Why??? Who cares what they think? When they find out the real reason you died, they will find this ruse a bit suspicious.
They do autopsies when they feel they need to. You, the dead person, have no input on that.

Reactions: davidtorez and imsotired35
T

timetodie24

Elementalist
Apr 14, 2023
They autopsy based on medical need. So the symptoms and situation when you die and your medical records.
If you were on palliative care for cancer, tests show you're deteriorating and then you die with the timeframe and symptoms as expected. Then likely wouldn't need autopsy.
If you suddenly die , drs don't know what caused it and someone tells them 'oh they said they have cancer or heart issue' then the coroner is not just going to take their word for it . They would have to do autopsy to confirm. Especially if your medical records show no treatment for the illness you pretended to have . And also whatever method you choose will likely show visible signs to any dr that it was not cancer/heart issue .

• Informative
Reactions: davidtorez, easypeasy, imsotired35 and 1 other person
easypeasy

easypeasy

Jul 1, 2024
A few years ago a man my husband worked with ctb. To this day no one knows why. He left no notes, far as anyone knows he didn't have any horrible medical diagnosis, nothing. Of course, it could be that the family knows and is just not sharing but ... I mean I think it could be done. Especially if you start complaining about pains you don't have now (or pain you have now worsening). I have often joked that given the neurological symptoms I have with my migraines and cluster headaches that it would take me a week to figure out I was actually having a stroke. 🤷
I appreciate your answer. Thank you! How did they know the gentleman ctb'd and didn't die from Natural Causes? Do you know?
They autopsy based on medical need. So the symptoms and situation when you die and your medical records.
If you were on palliative care for cancer, tests show you're deteriorating and then you die with the timeframe and symptoms as expected. Then likely wouldn't need autopsy.
If you suddenly die , drs don't know what caused it and someone tells them 'oh they said they have cancer or heart issue' then the coroner is not just going to take their word for it . They would have to do autopsy to confirm. Especially if your medical records show no treatment for the illness you pretended to have . And also whatever method you choose will likely show visible signs to any dr that it was not cancer/heart issue .
Sadly, I know you are right. But I appreciate you working through it with me. You are spot on. I'm not sure of the best way to make sure the truth about My physical disability is brought to light. Sadly, I don't trust my family (parents and siblings). Do you have any advice on how to make sure my eulogy is done by people I trust?
Pretend to have cancer? Why??? Who cares what they think? When they find out the real reason you died, they will find this ruse a bit suspicious.
They do autopsies when they feel they need to. You, the dead person, have no input on that.
Why? Because I thought it would be less traumatic for people. I don't want to hurt them if I can help it. I did mention the reason in my OP, but maybe I wasn't clear. You're right the cancer ruse would be suspicious and a stupid idea.

However, I'm not convinced that they do autopsies and you have no say simply because you are dead. I still have rights and wishes to be executed. For example if I want to donate organs. For example…There are many cases when a spouse decides not to conduct an autopsy. It's up to the family as outlined in the will. If you have literature that backs up what you've said…I'd be really interested to see that because it contradicts what I've been told. I think if I ask my lawyer he might worry.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatLvr
ladylazarus4

ladylazarus4

exhausted
May 12, 2024
people don't just all of a sudden die of cancer, so that wouldn't be very believable.

Reactions: İnilerim
C

CatLvr

Arcanist
Aug 1, 2024
I appreciate your answer. Thank you! How did they know the gentleman ctb'd and didn't die from Natural Causes? Do you know?

Oh gosh!! I'm sorry -- that's kinda pertinent here -- because he ate a shotgun slug in front of a local police department. I know the family didn't have an autopsy done.

The general assumption is that he MUST have gotten a bad diagnosis from his doctor that he didn't want to put himself or his family through.

I do have an idea that might help you circumvent a traditional autopsy, though. What about willing your body to a criminal justice training program that uses bodies to study/teach forensic investigation?? Those programs use bodies to study decomposition/decay and the flora (bugs, microbes, etc.) that flourish in order to determine approximate times of death, stuff like that.

I found this:

To donate a body to a body farm, you can contact the Forensic Anthropology Center (FAC) directly at (865) 806-5106. The FAC does not charge fees for body donations, but they do encourage financial contributions to support their research, training, and outreach.

Some reasons people donate their bodies to a body farm include:
  • Helping the criminal justice system: Some people want to help identify unidentified remains and find answers for families and the criminal justice system.
  • Teaching: Some people want to keep teaching after they're gone.
  • Being useful forever: Some people want to be useful forever.
  • Knowing a crime victim: Some people have known a crime victim.
  • Metaphysical reasons: Some people feel like they're "not in that body anymore" and want others to use it to teach and learn.

• Some medical conditions, such as contagious diseases and extreme emaciation or obesity, can make a body unacceptable for scientific study. Certain circumstances of death may also preclude donation.
Anyway, I hope this helps!!

• Informative
Reactions: easypeasy
willitpass

willitpass

Don’t try to offer me help, I’ve tried everything
Mar 10, 2020
However, I'm not convinced that they do autopsies and you have no say simply because you are dead. I still have rights and wishes to be executed. For example if I want to donate organs. For example…There are many cases when a spouse decides not to conduct an autopsy. It's up to the family as outlined in the will. If you have literature that backs up what you've said…I'd be really interested to see that because it contradicts what I've been told. I think if I ask my lawyer he might worry.
I don't know where you live, but at least in many states in the US, you cannot opt out of an autopsy in your will. Anyone who dies under suspicious or unnatural circumstances gets an autopsy. If you were not fighting a terminal illness with a death already predicted by medical professionals or you are not of old age where death is to be expected, you will get an autopsy. For one thing, it is a legal ground to ensure there wasn't foul play. Young, even moderately health people don't just drop dead. They want to make sure you weren't murdered. They also want to check if there was an underlying medical condition that somehow got missed. And when you commit suicide, they don't exactly care what you want, they'll do an autopsy anyway. I wish I could just say no thanks, I would love for my family to not have to go through that, but it isn't your choice. It's a legal requirement.
Oh gosh!! I'm sorry -- that's kinda pertinent here -- because he ate a shotgun slug in front of a local police department. I know the family didn't have an autopsy done.

The general assumption is that he MUST have gotten a bad diagnosis from his doctor that he didn't want to put himself or his family through.

I do have an idea that might help you circumvent a traditional autopsy, though. What about willing your body to a criminal justice training program that uses bodies to study/teach forensic investigation?? Those programs use bodies to study decomposition/decay and the flora (bugs, microbes, etc.) that flourish in order to determine approximate times of death, stuff like that.

I found this:

To donate a body to a body farm, you can contact the Forensic Anthropology Center (FAC) directly at (865) 806-5106. The FAC does not charge fees for body donations, but they do encourage financial contributions to support their research, training, and outreach.

• Helping the criminal justice system: Some people want to help identify unidentified remains and find answers for families and the criminal justice system.
  • Metaphysical reasons: Some people feel like they're "not in that body anymore" and want others to use it to teach and learn.

• Some medical conditions, such as contagious diseases and extreme emaciation or obesity, can make a body unacceptable for scientific study. Certain circumstances of death may also preclude donation.
I don't think you would be eligible if you die under mysterious circumstances, as figuring out a cause of death would be prioritized over donation. The laws are very strict in most places regarding investigation of unnatural deaths. The police have to cover their own ass. If someone dies when it wasn't anticipated they have to make sure they aren't missing a crime. And an autopsy is a big part of ensuring a crime was not committed.

blackwidow

blackwidow

Road to nowhere
Aug 12, 2022
Unfortunately you can't refuse an autopsy.. In the UK anyway. Whoever sorts your funeral which someone will will find out you didn't have cancer.

C

CatLvr

Arcanist
Aug 1, 2024
I don't know where you live, but at least in many states in the US, you cannot opt out of an autopsy in your will. Anyone who dies under suspicious or unnatural circumstances gets an autopsy. If you were not fighting a terminal illness with a death already predicted by medical professionals or you are not of old age where death is to be expected, you will get an autopsy. For one thing, it is a legal ground to ensure there wasn't foul play. Young, even moderately health people don't just drop dead. They want to make sure you weren't murdered. They also want to check if there was an underlying medical condition that somehow got missed. And when you commit suicide, they don't exactly care what you want, they'll do an autopsy anyway. I wish I could just say no thanks, I would love for my family to not have to go through that, but it isn't your choice. It's a legal requirement.

I don't think you would be eligible if you die under mysterious circumstances, as figuring out a cause of death would be prioritized over donation. The laws are very strict in most places regarding investigation of unnatural deaths. The police have to cover their own ass. If someone dies when it wasn't anticipated they have to make sure they aren't missing a crime. And an autopsy is a big part of ensuring a crime was not committed.
True. I am not even sure what the statutory REQUIREMENTS are to be able to donate. This IS the route I am taking, as opposed to a trad funeral, when the time comes, however it happens. I can't see putting the few friends and fam I have through the expense of a funeral or even a cremation and a cardboard box. 🤷 I'd just as soon they use that money for something enjoyable and just go on about their lives without all the hoopla we attach to dying. At least when it comes to me anyway.

Reactions: easypeasy
willitpass

willitpass

Don’t try to offer me help, I’ve tried everything
Mar 10, 2020
True. I am not even sure what the statutory REQUIREMENTS are to be able to donate. This IS the route I am taking, as opposed to a trad funeral, when the time comes, however it happens. I can't see putting the few friends and fam I have through the expense of a funeral or even a cremation and a cardboard box. 🤷 I'd just as soon they use that money for something enjoyable and just go on about their lives without all the hoopla we attach to dying. At least when it comes to me anyway.
At the very least you will almost certainly have to go under an autopsy prior to donating your body to any science. Whether or not they accept bodies post autopsy I'm not sure. But I don't know if there are any states that let you go without an autopsy for a suicide. Trust me I would rather them do anything but slice my body up and withhold my body from my family just to tell them what they already know. But no writing in a will or begging and pleading will get you out of it. Policy is policy.

J

justpathetic

Pathetic
Sep 15, 2024
Whenever a death is not attended by a medical professional an autopsy is done. So if you're not in the hospital under hospice etc... an autopsy is done. Even when you are under med care if it's suspicious or considered unnatural you get an autopsy. The only possible legal reason to not get one is religious. Some middle eastern religions believe you won't go to heaven if your body is desecrated this includes an autopsy

easypeasy

easypeasy

Jul 1, 2024
people don't just all of a sudden die of cancer, so that wouldn't be very believable.
My uncle recently died of Cancer after only finding out a few months, earlier. A close friend also had this happen. And that was WITH treatment. I still agree it's not the best idea (I was really just thinking out loud)…but you can absolutely get it and die within months or even weeks if not given treatment. I do appreciate your comment.
At the very least you will almost certainly have to go under an autopsy prior to donating your body to any science. Whether or not they accept bodies post autopsy I'm not sure. But I don't know if there are any states that let you go without an autopsy for a suicide. Trust me I would rather them do anything but slice my body up and withhold my body from my family just to tell them what they already know. But no writing in a will or begging and pleading will get you out of it. Policy is policy.
You're partly correct. An autopsy is required if I am an organ donor. However, I can't find any evidence that autopsy's are mandatory. I know of specific true crime cases where the spouse will have the body cremated and insist there be no autopsy…(obviously making it very suspicious) but it was legal.

Given the difference of opinion, I asked Chat GPT to help us out, in case anybody wanted to know:

"Autopsies are not always mandatory. Here are a few common situations where an autopsy may be required:

1. If a death occurs under suspicious, violent, or unexpected circumstances, an autopsy may be legally mandated to determine the cause and manner of death. (I.e. possible murder)
2. Sudden or Unexpected Death: If someone dies suddenly without a known medical condition, authorities may request an autopsy to determine the cause of death.
3. Public Health Concerns: If there are concerns about contagious diseases or public health risks, an autopsy may be ordered to understand the cause and prevent further risks.
4. Medical Uncertainty: If the cause of death is unclear or if it happens in a hospital setting and doctors are uncertain about the cause, an autopsy might be performed.
5. Legal or Family Request: Sometimes families can request an autopsy for personal or legal reasons, although they may need to bear the cost unless it is part of an official investigation.

In some cases, it may not be required if the cause of death is clear. Of course, IF there is a life insurance payout, it would be required. But I think most of us knew that. In cases of suicide, an autopsy is often required but not mandatory and depends on local laws and circumstances of death. Religious or personal beliefs might also influence whether an autopsy is performed.

Autopsy results are not public knowledge so IF I trusted my next of kin, I'd probably be ok with it. The reason for my post was that I don't trust my family to be honest about my life (or death) after I'm gone…so I'm trying to think of a way to control that narrative.

I also ask..please be gentle with me. I've been betrayed a lot by the people closest to me, and I was butchered in a medical procedure in 2018 they tried to cover up and I'm not coping very well physically or mentally at the moment. I'm really just trying to work through my thoughts and get to a peaceful place. Because only then will I feel ready to ctb.
I enjoyed reading your message and learning something new! I had no idea that you could opt out of having any service at all. I assumed that everybody that died had to have a funeral or ceremony of some kind for the family. Do you think your friends and family will prefer not having a funeral for you? Have you spoken to them about it?

I have left my family enough to cover the costs of my own funeral. I know it will be a sad time for them, and I presumed that a funeral would be an important part of the healing process for them. I want to minimises any pain I'm going to cause them. It's interesting you have such a different take I had not considered. Id be interested to hear people's thoughts on this.

I found this:

You are an absolute angel! It definitely helps and I really enjoyed hearing your ideas ❤️💕

Last edited: