London2021

London2021

Jan 30, 2021
Really want the language about dying by suicide to change. We still criminalise health .Although countries have different legislations most give the police powers to detain- in the UK you have more rights when arrested than you do if deemed to need MH care.

The term 'commit ' suicide dates from the days when it was a criminal offence to kill yourself. Am guessing still parts of the world where it still is. But ending your life should not be equated with being a criminal.

I am not committing a crime. I am not commiting suicide . I am dying by suicide.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, insanedoomer, angelfeather and 9 others
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
You could say you're committing to suicide.

• Love
  • Yay!
Reactions: Ame, GenesAndEnvironment, NeverSatisfied and 11 others
Bootleg Astolfo

Bootleg Astolfo

Glorious Bean Plushie
Oct 12, 2020
May i suggest replacing commit with kermit ? I'm kermitting suicide.

• Yay!
  • Love
Reactions: GarageKarate07, insanedoomer, ClairyFairy and 20 others
M

Miss_Takes

Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Dec 4, 2020
While I do get the OPs point as an 'older' person this is the term that comes naturally to me and I have zero attachment to it as associated with a criminal act. I personally detest CTB because to me a euphimism both denigrates and minimizes the.seriousness of the act of suicide.
I shall attempt to refrain from using 'commit' however as one doesnt wish to distress others where possible.

Im welcome to being made aware if I do use 'commit' thoughtlessly however ... but please be gentle.

Reactions: Addi_Madd, NeverSatisfied, London2021 and 1 other person
AQUA

AQUA

Headstone
Dec 2, 2020
strangely I'm the opposite as in
triple h badass GIF by WWE

You should try owning your badass temporary criminal status for a change, you might like it :)

• Yay!
Reactions: Fragile, NeverSatisfied, London2021 and 7 others
magick'sgone

magick'sgone

And so on it goes....
May 16, 2019
The term doesn't bother me at all but maybe that's because I don't really give a shit about that kind of thing anymore. CTB annoys me more but I can't pinpoint exactly why.

Reactions: Deathbydemo and Skathon
builtwrong

builtwrong

permanent solution to a permanent problem
Aug 24, 2020
I don't know, personally Ive always known of the way to refer to suicide as "committing" it. It had nothing to do with its status as criminal, it was just how you referred to it

Zzzzz

Zzzzz

Nothing compares to the bliss of death.
Aug 8, 2018
I can understand the desire to omit the word. In some people's minds, commit suicide is similar to commit murder. There is a bit of implication that something wrong is being done. Suicide is sufficient without the commit part.

Reactions: LittleBabyNothing
9BBN

9BBN

Heaven, send Hell away
Mar 29, 2021
"Suicide" is a verb too, guys. Maybe we should collectively work to exclude "commit" in our language to remove the associations.

Meretlein

Meretlein

Feb 15, 2019
"Dying by suicide" is often used to equate suicide deaths to heart attack deaths, completing robbing us our agency. "Ended his/her life" and "took his/her life" is the most neutral in my opinion.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, blue_muse, Skathon and 4 others
BitterlyAlive_

BitterlyAlive_

-
Dec 8, 2020
"Dying by suicide" is often used to equate suicide deaths to heart attack deaths, completing robbing us our agency. "Ended his/her life" and "took his/her life" is the most neutral in my opinion.
I'm not sure if I necessarily agree, but this made me think. I'm a sucker for semantics.

Reactions: Deathbydemo and Meretlein
LittleBabyNothing

LittleBabyNothing

Suffering Autointoxification
Nov 22, 2020
i am choosing to end my life.
The report will conclude suicide by poisoning.
BPD/CPTSD is the cause of death.

Reactions: angelfeather and London2021
Thrash

Thrash

Nov 21, 2020
Eh it never bothered me people can call it whatever.

Reactions: Skathon and GenesAndEnvironment
London2021

London2021

Jan 30, 2021
Ended life by suicide works officialdom and for me. 're the word ' committing ' certainly in the English speaking word is it is lifted direct from criminal legislation when it was a crime. But ' Kermitting ' yep, like that...will instruct the coroner accordingly

Reactions: LittleBabyNothing
Deathbydemo

Deathbydemo

Mage
Feb 15, 2020
It doesn't bother me, to be honest. Most people I know in real life will say "he/she took their own life" as opposed to commit suicide. For me, I wish people would say "she died of heartbreak". That's so much more fitting.

• Hugs
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, London2021 and LittleBabyNothing
L

lostchild

Nov 6, 2019
Say commit to everything.

Go commit eating cereal.

• Yay!
Reactions: LittleBabyNothing and GenesAndEnvironment
Marktheghost

Marktheghost

Paragon
Feb 20, 2020
Why do people say take your own life? Who are you taking it from? It was already your life wasn't it?

Reactions: GenesAndEnvironment, Skathon and LittleBabyNothing
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Call it evil-self-murder-crime-to-hurt-loved-ones-sadistic-abandonment or whatever, I'm still doing it :sunglasses: