B

Bodydysmorphia34

Oct 31, 2023
Hello,

I am a 23 year old male who has been suffering from depression, bodydysmorphia and anxiety since the age of seventeen.

I am thinking a lot about death, afterlife and all the related topics. Is it worth staying alive to get old and trying to wait until death gets you? Is there like a real chance life might become more bearable?

I just don't know if it will get better anytime in future, I feel like it is only going to get worse the older I become.

I've tried basically everything to combat my depression: therapy, medication.. what am I supposed to do?

• Hugs
Reactions: ForgottenAgain, Praestat_Mori, Forever Sleep and 3 others
hmskms

hmskms

trying to escape a world governed by sociopaths.
Jun 12, 2023
>what am i supposed to do?
oh boy, you're not gonna believe this.

B

Bodydysmorphia34

Oct 31, 2023
>what am i supposed to do?
oh boy, you're not gonna believe this.

I know it sounds corny but I've literally done everything to beat my depression but it didn't help, so I feel like I've reached the end of the line

hmskms

hmskms

trying to escape a world governed by sociopaths.
Jun 12, 2023
I know it sounds corny but I've literally done everything to beat my depression but it didn't help, so I feel like I've reached the end of the line
yeah i know. you cant really get out of everything feeling like a chore. the best you can do is try and convince yourself it isn't your fault.

Reactions: Abandoned Character
DeepCD

DeepCD

Oct 2, 2023
well I tell you something that is a fact. everything gets worse physically and mentally as you get older. That's just the nature of the human body.

no way you could have legitimately experienced every single possibility to help your depression. that would take More than one lifetime. there are so many possibilities of treating depression. taking one medicine alone should be at least a year to have a legitimate experience. let's add in conjunction and cross-conjunctioning with all the possibilities. this is just one topic alone.

therapy is a topic of its own with so many different types. and those types alone would take a while, and then conjunction with other therapies as well as cross-conjunctioning, etc etc..

and then let's talk about health and exercise and food you should avoid or things that you need to increase exposer to. etc etc..

no, you have not tried everything. sorry to Tell you the Truth. and if you want to try more possibilities, I am pretty sure a lot of people in this community can give you advice on other things to try.

but you have to be more specific & detailed on what you have tried. then maybe people in this community can guide you on what to do. it is also good to detail everything. because every person's situation is different. Hope this helps!

P. S., ... your life is your life alone. no one can tell you or advise you what to do with your life. and if they do, they are not only wrong, but they also don't belong in this community.

(if you put this thread in the "recovery section" ... I'm 99% sure they will give you endless answers of what you should do! ... maybe you should start there!) šŸ˜Š

Last edited:
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and chuerdhmproton
C

ClownWorld2023

Arcanist
Sep 18, 2023
It's really up to you and how much you are willing to tolerate.

I myself am exhausted after more than a decade of agony and trying to recover, so for me staying alive is not worth it anymore.

There is a minuscule chance that I might win the lottery before CTBing, but I'm not counting on it.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and DeepCD
moondazed

moondazed

ex nihilo nihil fit
Oct 14, 2023
The simplest answer is yes, of course.

But improving your life is something you do, not something that happens to you (usually).

There's plenty of reasons to make your Reasonā„¢, but there are plenty of reasons why you might not seek those things.

It's not black and white, life and death. You will die one day, so what you do before that is up to you.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, Forever Sleep, chuerdhmproton and 1 other person
Arvinneedstodie

Arvinneedstodie

Existing is not living
Sep 17, 2018
I'm almost 28, things have gotten both more miserable and more bearable at the same time. As I got older, my depression and chronic physical problems became gradually worse, but my anxiety and bodydysmorphia got better. I guess I just became very numb after all these years. I have long lost hope in my life and I've given up on trying to find the "cure". I have also given up on trying to achieve very difficult or unrealistic goals in life, and just cut down my expectations and burden to the very bare minimal. I Focus on what I do have and can realistically and easily achieve, and I do what I can do to have fun or escape as long as they don't add any more problems. I am living in a fine middle ground where there is no miracle nor any catastrophe, just one long drawn out lonely misery. I don't recommend, but it does make things more bearable.

I hope my experience can help you come up with some answers to your question.

Reactions: ForgottenAgain, Praestat_Mori, Lifeis_Jouissance70 and 1 other person
tinyghost

tinyghost

go home at dawn sleep in the sun
Sep 13, 2023
yes of course. imagine yourself, happy, fulfilled. theres a chance that will happen if you stay alive. its up to you if you want to take that chance.

Reactions: Bodydysmorphia34
MatrixPrisoner

MatrixPrisoner

Enlightened
Jul 8, 2023
No, staying alive is just prolonged torture. And the world is getting exponentially worse by the year.

Reactions: sserafim, pthnrdnojvsc and Bodydysmorphia34
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
That's a major problem really- none of us know. We don't know in our own lives whether things will get better or worse. People could develop genuine hope if they knew their chances were good. As it is, I expect most of us see it as false hope- if we have tried many times but failed in the past.

I guess we all have to weigh up our own options. What do we actually want in life? Will that thing actually be worth the effort in the end? Are we willing to put in that effort? How much failure and disappointment along the way are we willing to put up with?

Can things get better? Sure. They can get worse as well. It's entirely down to the individual as to which path they fancy risking. None of them are easy. CTB certainly isn't the 'easy way out' pro-lifers claim it to be. Not when we don't have access to reliable and peaceful methods. Sadly, it seems like a risk either way I'm afraid.

Reactions: ForgottenAgain and Praestat_Mori
K

Klophy

Lost...
Jun 28, 2022
Is there a chance of things getting better? Yes, definitely. There's also a chance of it getting worse or staying the same.

I'm a fair bit older than you and have been depressed since I was a child. It didn't get better for me but it has for others. There's no certainty.

I do harbor some hate for the pro-lifers who spouted crap like 'it gets better when you're older' or 'life has its ups and downs'.

Thinking it'd apply to me too, I carried on. As I got older, I realized that all advice is pretty much a cope. Holes can be poked into all advice that they give out, and people agree to the opposite in some cases.

For instance 'It gets better when you're older' yet it's generally agreed that childhood is the best part of life. 'Life has its ups and downs' says nothing about your baseline or how far those 'ups' are capped.

I will say this though, to thoroughly enjoy life you need a certain sense of callousness, something that I presume alot of us here struggle with. Advice like 'Someone else has it worse' doesn't elicit a sense of relief or joy, knowing suffering is abundant is heart-wrenching.

Reactions: ForgottenAgain, FrostedHoax and Praestat_Mori
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Other have already said it very well. It's up 2 u, as long as you have not given up there's a chance to improve your life but it's not granted. You will have to put a lot of energy and efforts into that process.

CTB is always an option but it should be the last one to take bc this is final.

just_a_guy

just_a_guy

thispersondoesnotexist
Oct 27, 2023
yes, it can definitely be worth it. If you had asked a younger version of me, I would have said no, but time has passed, and I've learned to accept who I am a lot more, I've become grateful for the small things in life and I've become more positive even though I can still be a little cynical. You will still encounter difficult times and days when you don't want to see or talk to anyone, and times when you just want to crawl into a hole but for me there are things that make it worth holding on for.

Daughter of Sorrow

Daughter of Sorrow

Nov 1, 2023
To answer your topical question: yes. It could possibly be worth it. There are plenty of documented cases where people who have attempted suicide, been depressed, and the like have gone to live, what is to them a good life.

I'm trans, suffered body dysmorphia, depression, combat ptsd. Shit, there was a time when I not only wanted to kill myself, I thought that I didn't desrve to live. It took years, and I do mean years, for me to get to an okay place. I've tried different medications, different therapies, and different therapists. It is possible. Am I going to tell you it's all kittens and rainbows? No. There are days when I wish a meteor would land on my head and end it. But there are other days when I go into the workshop and make beautiful things. Things that bring me joy and happiness. Other days where I pour a drink at night and think "that was a good day." The shit is still there, but it's thinned out to a bearable level. I know at 23, I wanted to eat a bullet. At 37, I am going to enjoy this nice glass of rum.

Yeah. It's possible. But that's the choice you have to make for yourself.

FrostedHoax

FrostedHoax

Student
Dec 1, 2022
Whether or not you go on living is only a decision you can make. As cynical as I tend to be, I do believe that life can and has gotten better for many others that have once wanted nothing more than a deep and permanent sleep. If you want, you can stick around for that possibility of things turning around for you towards a brighter future. Otherwise, you can choose to get off the ride early and leave this life for the next one, if there is a life after this one. Either way, the choice is fully yours and in my opinion, both options are completely valid.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Never for me, no matter what I will always see it as preferable to not exist. Existence itself is the true problem and only death can bring peace from all the suffering, I don't see any value in decaying from age in this existence where there is no limit as to how much one can suffer.
I'd prefer to be at peace than be trapped in this futile process of waiting to cease existing anyway, the thought of being trapped here for much longer fills me with dread.

If other people want to stay here until they die anyway then that's their decision but in my case I wish I never existed, all that existence does is create problems there was never a need for. I don't see any worth in being tormented in this meaningless existence, to me existence is a harm that's best avoided.

ceriseangeā™”

ceriseangeā™”

źœ±į“”į“‡į“‡į“›, į“į“į“œŹ€É“ÉŖÉ“É¢ ŹŸį“€į“Ź™...
Nov 3, 2023
Hello,

I am a 23 year old male who has been suffering from depression, bodydysmorphia and anxiety since the age of seventeen.

I am thinking a lot about death, afterlife and all the related topics. Is it worth staying alive to get old and trying to wait until death gets you? Is there like a real chance life might become more bearable?

I just don't know if it will get better anytime in future, I feel like it is only going to get worse the older I become.

I've tried basically everything to combat my depression: therapy, medication.. what am I supposed to do?
21 and in the same boat here, tried the exact same things and feel the exact same way about the future :(
I think it can get better, truly - it just takes effort and energy, but I know those things can be so hard especially when feeling like this. What helps me is focusing on the small things, taking everything one step at a time and trying to find something to love about the moment.
So sorry you're feeling this way, sending you love and strength <3

Cress

Cress

Arcanist
Oct 15, 2023
Usually the times when I was able to turn my depression around was when I was incredibly passionate about something. Doesn't really matter what it is just something that makes you excited to wake up out of bed. When I was a little kid I had many many passions And it seemed like my life was full of them and slowly as I got older I was slowly robbed of them 1 by 1 till they were few and far between. Now it seems like every single small passion that I have is a tremendous treasure that I need to desperately hang on to out of fear of having the last one to go.

Like people said above of course things can always get better however I think the only thing that matters is how you feel about life in general. I would maybe sit down and try to take some notes on the things that you've enjoyed in your life and see the possibility of revisiting those things