hahabye

hahabye

always say never
Sep 14, 2019
As I'm slowly starting to count my last weeks on earth, I'm more and more haunted by this terrifying though that my cats will feel like I abandoned them and will be wondering why.

I am not sure if they're able to comprehend what is being "abandoned" or "left" (purposefully). My guess is that they probably can only understand that I'm not there anymore, without feeling like I've betrayed them. At least that's what the rational side of me thinks. But the thought that they might feel like I chose to leave them purposefully is still petrifying.

I know I'm probably overthinking this way too much, but they're my whole world and I can't stand the thought of their little hearts breaking (I know they'll experience sadness either way, I just don't want them to feel abandoned).

So I was wondering, do you think pets can comprehend abandonment the way we do? Or is that concept beyond their cognitive capabilities?

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Ame, BottomlessPit, MYStERY_Man and 1 other person
lowres

lowres

Scum
Feb 9, 2019
I personally believe that my pet will understand that im gone and be upset, i personally find it difficult to leave for this reason as they are getting up there in age and im unsure if my parent will be able to give them enough affection bc they are minorly allergic and cant do that a lot and it would suck for them to die feeling unloved but i dont think they would feel any resentment towards me for my actions more of just confusion of "how". I can only hope that if i do leave that they will not feel abandoned and be able to get attention and love from my parent and others as well. That's just my thoughts anyways, generally i don't think they would understand that my death was intentional and feel hurt in that regard.

• Love
Reactions: hahabye
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
My guess is that they probably can only understand that I'm not there anymore, without feeling like I've betrayed them.
Of course cats can't feel betrayed, lucky little buggers...

• Love
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you šŸ•Æļø Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020

i dont know why they couldnt and the ones that say otherwise i tend to find them to be animal haters with a complete lack of understanding. i watch my cats with their emotions and they each have their own personality just like humans. just because they dont speak our language doesnt mean they are any different.

the question about how theyd feel/what they know. well there is a language barrier so you could say im killing myself and unless they found your body all theyd know is youre gone. but if youre close with your cat they will miss you. my cats give my husband a dirty look when he comes home without me and when i come home they come running like dogs lol

Last edited:
  • Love
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
I think that my dog will be glad I'm gone tbh. He's never really liked me.

• Aww..
hahabye

hahabye

always say never
Sep 14, 2019

i dont know why they couldnt and the ones that say otherwise i tend to find them to be animal haters with a complete lack of understanding. i watch my cats with their emotions and they each have their own personality just like humans. just because they dont speak our language doesnt mean they are any different.

the question about how theyd feel/what they know. well there is a language barrier so you could say im killing myself and unless they found your body all theyd know is youre gone. but if youre close with your cat they will miss you. my cats give my husband a dirty look when he comes home without me and when i come home they come running like dogs lol
Oh I definitely have no doubt that they will miss me and grieve. I have a very close relationship with both of them, they always come to greet me at the door and follow me around the apartment like puppies. I agree that they're just like us in many ways! ā¤ļø

Hahaha sounds like you're definitely their favourite!

W

WornOutLife

惞惃惈
Mar 22, 2020
Maybe they can!
For instance, when I go visit my dog in my parents' house, he gets veeery happy and it's as if he remembered every single time I was with him.
Then, when I leave, my dad always tells me that he's kinda "down" for a day but then gets used to it and forgets about me until I come back lol.

• Love
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I think dogs do more than cats as they attach to their owners more. I think with cats they are capable of missing you too. I don't think they have complex understanding, but they recognise you are not there and stuff like that. I have a cat too, so I know what it is like.

• Love