S

Spacedoutfailure_

Jan 11, 2022
So unfortunately I've become a sad disgusting misanthrope and a misogynist over the years, however I'm more of a misanthrope these days. But I'm wondering, is it really true that people can sense your self hatred and smell all the rejection or isolation you've been through, and can they sense basically a misanthropic, loner loser type?

Reactions: whatevs and Capsicum_Corral
Snake of Eden

Snake of Eden

“Ye shall be as gods..🍎 🐍”
Jun 22, 2021
People can take wild guesses but we still haven't evolved enough to read others' minds

O

OrcWitch

Warlock
Sep 3, 2021
They might sense that someone is a loner and miserable based on body language and facial expressions. But usually we can only tell if there is misogyny or misanthropy based on what someone says or does explicitly that suggests these views.

Reactions: Élégie, whatevs, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 4 others
AndromedaZ

AndromedaZ

Oct 6, 2020
So unfortunately I've become a sad disgusting misanthrope and a misogynist over the years, however I'm more of a misanthrope these days. But I'm wondering, is it really true that people can sense your self hatred and smell all the rejection or isolation you've been through, and can they sense basically a misanthropic, loner loser type?
If they can, they sure as shit haven't said anything to me about it. Honestly, I think everyone is a misanthrope at the grocery store checkout anyway

Reactions: Snake of Eden
C

Capsicum_Corral

Experienced
Dec 10, 2021
I read a study one time where they showed a 3 second clip of a 'mystery' professor to a group of students. Their task was to use whatever they detected in his words and behaviors to describe his personality. According to the authors, they were roughly 80% accurate in their perceptions of him, based on 3 seconds of video.

Just an anecdotal story, and I don't know about misanthropy, but "first impressions" are a real thing. Detectable or not, seems like it would be challenging to avoid becoming a misanthrope unless one had very low standards. Just take a look at the world out there that virtually everyone is literally accepting or tolerating.

Reactions: Élégie, TooConscious, whatevs and 2 others
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
That's a vague question. No one can "smell your rejection" or activate some magical sixth sense to detect a misanthropic mindset, but it depends on who the "normal people" are (that's a vast category with various levels of social awareness), what the situation is, and how exactly the "lonely, loser type" behaves. Usually it's not the "smell of rejection", it's the particular behaviour patterns that might "give you away".

Cameron Diazepam

Cameron Diazepam

Dec 25, 2021
I would also say that people sense negativity and tend to judge pessimistic statements or a flat affect harshly. Never got called a misanthrope but lots of other things.

T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
Life loving pricks never miss an opportunity to spew some self righteous garbage at people trying to get through the day.

K

KimKevorkian

Experienced
Feb 23, 2022
Have you asked Melania?

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Clearly not because they still let me hang around them sometimes and have the gall to pay me compliments that don't make any sense like "you're so empathetic" or "you've got a great sense of humor". Like what??? Oh if only they knew how destructive my mind really was, but I'm too lazy to try to make them see the truth.

whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
That's a vague question. No one can "smell your rejection" or activate some magical sixth sense to detect a misanthropic mindset, but it depends on who the "normal people" are (that's a vast category with various levels of social awareness), what the situation is, and how exactly the "lonely, loser type" behaves. Usually it's not the "smell of rejection", it's the particular behaviour patterns that might "give you away".
People are actually quite adept at detecting "bitterness" in you, which is essentially what misanthropy is. If this resentment becomes great enough, it overflows from behind all masks.

Reactions: GrumpyFrog