S

suicidal flapper

Student
Jul 15, 2023
Pretty much title. I've changed the location of my death if it means my partner can die with me without him being punished. I have no idea if that's possible or not. He lives in Denmark and I have the idea of a forest park near him.

My partner doesn't want me to go but isn't against me choosing to end my life. He told me recently he'd try to be there with me if I decided to go but I'm worried about him being charged for something. Even if he didn't assist me I don't know

• Love
Reactions: All-Dead-Y and bridgegirl
fishlover

fishlover

in the end, nothing matters
Sep 17, 2023
if its what you really want to do, and your partner is ok with it, you could make a detailed contract between you and your partner, stating EXACTLY what will happen, what you intend to do, and what your partner's role in your suicide is (emotional support). include a final will as well as a note stating that your partner had no part in assisting you and that it was entirely of your own volition. then notarize it. this means you and your partner sign everything under the watch of a notary, who is an authorized, impartial witness to the signing of documents- its an anti fraud measurement that will help your partner out A LOT if hes taken to court or questioned by police (which he most likely will be). apparently you can notarize almost any document however i do not know what the process to actually find a notary is, so you will need to reasearch that on your own. obviously, the signatures are needed so that everything is legally binding. also make sure you add in an agreed amount of time that your partner will wait before contacting authorities. ex: he will wait 30 minutes from the time of your attempt to call anyone.

now, this is what i would do. but keep in mind im not a lawyer and i DO NOT know if this will actually work. you can try this, but in the end your partner may or may not recieve legal punishment anyway. he would have to take the risk. secondly, im basing this off my local laws. im not sure how things work in denmark, or if notarizing is even an option there. again, you would have to research this on your own.

i hope this helps! i really reccomend contacting a lawyer for some actual legal advice, but that can be pricey. its up to you, though. good luck <3

Division Day

Division Day

It's life that scares me to death
Oct 28, 2023
I would have said pretty much exactly the opposite. Having written evidence that not only did they know what you were going to do, but were actually present and didn't stop you seems like it'd be enough to potentially charge them with a crime (although I don't know the specific laws of Denmark).

Honestly, if you did everything physically yourself and there was no reason to suspect anyone else was there (I'm guessing footprints in snow in Denmark) I think he'd be better off claiming he knew you were low but didn't realise you were going to ctb and was in bed or whatever. But you'd definitely be putting him in some real hot water.

Reactions: Leeroy14R and rosenwasser
fishlover

fishlover

Sep 17, 2023
I would have said pretty much exactly the opposite. Having written evidence that not only did they know what you were going to do, but were actually present and didn't stop you seems like it'd be enough to potentially charge them with a crime (although I don't know the specific laws of Denmark).

Honestly, if you did everything physically yourself and there was no reason to suspect anyone else was there (I'm guessing footprints in snow in Denmark) I think he'd be better off claiming he knew you were low but didn't realise you were going to ctb and was in bed or whatever. But you'd definitely be putting him in some real hot water.
the thing is, either way he would be found out. its hard to leave a place completely void of evidence if you dont know what youre doing. and digital footprint is a thing- if police launched an investigation they would immediately find their texts saying he would want to be there for OP and most likely even this SaSu post. so then, lying about ever being involved would 100% land OP's partner in prison with, most likely, a charge for manslaughter. with my method, theres still a risk. but it would uphold a whole lot better in court.

im thinking about what would work legally, and not how should OP and their partner lie and try to get away with it- because JUST by posting this, they're not getting away with it.

MyChoiceAlone

MyChoiceAlone

sleep deprived and/or drunk
Jul 23, 2023
maybe get some video footage to show they did not help you in any way.

rosenwasser

rosenwasser

per ardua ad astra
Sep 9, 2023
I do not live in Denmark but I live in Europe, study law and assume our legal systems would be similar.
If so - not only assisting suicide but also not actively preventing death in virtually any constellation (ex: seeing a car accident and not getting help) is a criminal offense in most European countries the only difference being the specific law in place.
The contract suggested above would not help in European constellations (no idea about common law in England/USA tho) because it's a private contract, subject to private law. It would be written evidence for the criminal proceedings and it would not stop criminal law kicking in; no private contract can do that. Apart from that - I can't imagine any notary would work with such a contract because then, they know about the ctb plan as well and are potentially liable as an assistant to your death. I can't imagine any lawyer would risk that.
I totally understand why you want your partner to be there but unfortunately, suicide is highly regulated and criminalised in most European countries and there is no way for your partner to 100% avoid prosecution. I would definitely leave some evidence about your suicidal intent (this profile, goodbye letters and e-mails that are obviously written by you etc), so that there is solid evidence that you wanted to die and that it's not a murder case as that would probably be the worst case scenario.

Reactions: All-Dead-Y, Leeroy14R and fishlover
Division Day

Division Day

It's life that scares me to death
Oct 28, 2023
the thing is, either way he would be found out. its hard to leave a place completely void of evidence if you dont know what youre doing. and digital footprint is a thing- if police launched an investigation they would immediately find their texts saying he would want to be there for OP and most likely even this SaSu post. so then, lying about ever being involved would 100% land OP's partner in prison with, most likely, a charge for manslaughter. with my method, theres still a risk. but it would uphold a whole lot better in court.

im thinking about what would work legally, and not how should OP and their partner lie and try to get away with it- because JUST by posting this, they're not getting away with it.
Yeah, maybe I should have bolded my last sentence because that's the important one. It's a terrible idea to have a survivor present at your suicide and I don't think a notarized document saying that they didn't actually tie a rope or whatever would make it not a terrible idea.

I would recommend against OP's last act being to get their partner in trouble like this, unless they specifically know that it would be permitted by their country's laws.

Daughter of Sorrow

Daughter of Sorrow

Nov 1, 2023
I don't know about your local laws, but I do know, as a combat veteran, the worst thing that you can ask someone to do is be with someone dying. If someone is wounded to the point of death, they are tagged expectant. A Marine will go be with them until they die. It fucks people up.

At the end of the day, you can make your own choice. Just make an informed one, please.

Reactions: Leeroy14R
fishlover

fishlover

Sep 17, 2023
I do not live in Denmark but I live in Europe, study law and assume our legal systems would be similar.
If so - not only assisting suicide but also not actively preventing death in virtually any constellation (ex: seeing a car accident and not getting help) is a criminal offense in most European countries the only difference being the specific law in place.
The contract suggested above would not help in European constellations (no idea about common law in England/USA tho) because it's a private contract, subject to private law. It would be written evidence for the criminal proceedings and it would not stop criminal law kicking in; no private contract can do that. Apart from that - I can't imagine any notary would work with such a contract because then, they know about the ctb plan as well and are potentially liable as an assistant to your death. I can't imagine any lawyer would risk that.
I totally understand why you want your partner to be there but unfortunately, suicide is highly regulated and criminalised in most European countries and there is no way for your partner to 100% avoid prosecution. I would definitely leave some evidence about your suicidal intent (this profile, goodbye letters and e-mails that are obviously written by you etc), so that there is solid evidence that you wanted to die and that it's not a murder case as that would probably be the worst case scenario.
yeah after reading this, now i know my idea would definitely NOT work. besides the issue with private contracts VS criminal law, while writing my response i did not take into account the notary themself as a person, and how they would likely not want to be involved anyway. with this insight i doubt the idea could even work in where i live, in america.

its unfortunate- but for your partner's sake, OP, i would not attempt this.

S

suicidal flapper

Student
Jul 15, 2023

I should probably clear out my phone before suicide in-general jeez
yeah after reading this, now i know my idea would definitely NOT work. besides the issue with private contracts VS criminal law, while writing my response i did not take into account the notary themself as a person, and how they would likely not want to be involved anyway. with this insight i doubt the idea could even work in where i live, in america.

its unfortunate- but for your partner's sake, OP, i would not attempt this.
I suppose I won't now. I just didn't want to die alone

fishlover

fishlover

Sep 17, 2023
I suppose I won't now. I just didn't want to die alone
im sorry it wont work out. i dont want to die alone either, honestly. if it helps- theres a partners mega thread on this site, you can try finding someone to CTB with?

S

Scythe

Lost in a delusion
Sep 5, 2022
Maybe he can't physically be there but over text should be fine. It'll problly still be illegal bit it'll be easier to pass as smth else. (Ex. He didn't know you are attempting and thought you are simply just chatting) Perhaps text on SS if you don't want it reported at all? I doubt they'll look at SS dms for evidence. Just wipe your phone before u faint, or at least log out of Ss and clear search if u go this route.
The shitty laws should really make it so ppl can accompany others commiting suicide. I'm sorry you are in this suituation.

reallysleepy

reallysleepy

She/her
Oct 25, 2023
I read a @GasMonkey thread saying that assisted suicide is legal in Switzerland or Sweden (I'm sorry I always confuse those two countries, I guess it's Sweden tho). It's not so far from Denmark, maybe you can look that up.
From what I read in that thread, they can be there, they can touch you or help you in anyway and they have to tape ir for the police.

S

suicidal flapper

Student
Jul 15, 2023
im sorry it wont work out. i dont want to die alone either, honestly. if it helps- theres a partners mega thread on this site, you can try finding someone to CTB with?
I am interested in that. Do you happen to have a link to that thread?

Last edited: