thisismyusername

thisismyusername

Mar 1, 2020
Hello, I have to attend a wedding next month (very small, only my closest of friends, we are all getting tested before and after so we can celebrate their marriage). I wear a lot of black, and typically wear black to all socially dress up situations, but I have never attended a real wedding. My husband and I got married in the county's courthouse in a sun dress and his jeans. So can I wear black? I know I should avoid and never wear white, but don't want it to look like I am being rude showing up in all black like someone died. Thank you.

Reactions: puppy9, Ghost2211 and antigone_iris
antigone_iris

antigone_iris

Wizard
Oct 25, 2020
Hi! An alternative to wearing all black would be wearing a dark color. Maybe there's a dark color you like in particular? If you want to wear black, perhaps combining it with something lighter, or a piece in a saturated color would make the outfit look less somber.

Reactions: Ghost2211 and thisismyusername
thisismyusername

thisismyusername

Mar 1, 2020
Hi! An alternative to wearing all black would be wearing a dark color. Maybe there's a dark color you like in particular? If you want to wear black, perhaps combining it with something lighter, or a piece in a saturated color would make the outfit look less somber.
But I should try and avoid wearing all black? I was thinking of possibly finding a midi black dress with floral print??? I don't want my friends to regret having me in pictures essentially.

Reactions: Ghost2211 and antigone_iris
antigone_iris

antigone_iris

Wizard
Oct 25, 2020
But I should try and avoid wearing all black? I was thinking of possibly finding a midi black dress with floral print??? I don't want my friends to regret having me in pictures essentially.
I suppose asking your friends would be the safest bet. A midi black dress with a floral print sounds nice. Personally, I wouldn't wear all black to a wedding.

Reactions: Ghost2211
thisismyusername

thisismyusername

Mar 1, 2020
I suppose asking your friends would be the safest bet. A midi black dress with a floral print sounds nice. Personally, I wouldn't wear all black to a wedding.
Honestly a bit scared to ask them as they are so stressed, but maybe its better to ask and be sorry than to be the only one not properly dressed... Thank you for the advice. I should just talk to her. Maybe a drink will help lol.

• Hugs
Reactions: Ghost2211 and antigone_iris
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
It honestly depends on the culture of the individuals getting married. There are many different customs and for some it's not as frowned upon to wear all black. Generally speaking though it's not a good idea, I'd consult with the wedding group beforehand.

Reactions: Deleted member 14573, Ghost2211, GoneGoneGone and 2 others
G

GoneGoneGone

Enlightened
Apr 1, 2020
I don't think it's bad to wear black at a wedding, but in the context of the pandemic it may be a bit... grim?

Reactions: Ghost2211 and thisismyusername
thisismyusername

thisismyusername

Mar 1, 2020
I am so happy I asked this question because I almost bought a dress yesterday but it didnt feel right. Sometimes a good gut feeling can get out of bad situations. I can't wait to embarrass myself by asking the bride. She is going to think I am crazy.

• Hugs
Reactions: GoneGoneGone, antigone_iris and Brick In The Wall
Antigonish

Antigonish

Mage
Sep 19, 2020
Black is my color of choice, when I go shopping I purposely choose vibrant flashy colors, because my whole wardrobe was black, all the way down to the socks and underwear. But now I miss it, the emptiness and the comfort of black. So wear black to the wedding, superstition are for those who care about impressions.

thisismyusername

thisismyusername

Mar 1, 2020
Black is my color of choice, when I go shopping I purposely choose vibrant flashy colors, because my whole wardrobe was black, all the way down to the socks and underwear. But now I miss it, the emptiness and the comfort of black. So wear black to the wedding, superstition are for those who care about impressions.

It's just terrifying because I have no idea what weddings are actually like, so I would love to be comfortable, but not embarrassing as well. I think I will have to incorporate some type of black to feel good and keep to my character, but find something possibly more appropriate for my friend's pictures. Just feel so scared. Plus, I have to find out what my husband will wear based on myself. (.-.)

Antigonish

Antigonish

Mage
Sep 19, 2020
It's just terrifying because I have no idea what weddings are actually like, so I would love to be comfortable, but not embarrassing as well. I think I will have to incorporate some type of black to feel good and keep to my character, but find something possibly more appropriate for my friend's pictures. Just feel so scared. Plus, I have to find out what my husband will wear based on myself. (.-.)

He'll probably wear a black suit...
Just make sure it's stylish or looks fairly decent and I'm pretty sure you'll do fine.

Btw love your username.

Reactions: thisismyusername
CoalmineCanary

CoalmineCanary

Jul 15, 2020
I attended a evening wedding and wore a black midi dress with red, open toed, high-heeled mules paired with neutral fishnet stockings for texture.

I'm so socially awkward, I didn't even know I might have been offensive or how to navigate amongst the population appropriately.

W’ren

W’ren

Worthless
Oct 28, 2020
When i got married many years ago, my two goth friends showed up in full gothic style- it was awesome. They stood out- but i was so proud of them for being themselves and not dressing differently than their style usually was.
I'd say if you're concerned, ask your friends- they certainly won't mind the question as it's a very respectful question.
I think it's personal choice and not bad luck- my buddy had a wedding where the colours were black + red and the wedding dress was black and white.