A

Anonymous1997ES

Jul 30, 2021
This may sound weird but... Realizing that in less a month I will have to do a lot of things I've never done before (as that month will be my last vacation before adulthood hits me with a brick), and some of them might define my future... I'm extremely afraid... If this post doesn't go here, please feel free to delete it.

Note: I don't mean any disrespect to anyone while writing this post, nor I want to make anyone here feel uncomfortable, I promise.

I'm in my mid-twenties, yet... I feel that my mental age would be twenty years old at most, and that's being generous. There are so many things I don't know about life, as I see how people younger than me are far more mature, can interact with others easily, just by being themselves, and their mental health is extremely good, so much that you can even sense the happiness their smiles, laughs and aura can release.

Instead... I'm more like a black-hole.

Have never worked in my life, except in a small business my family owns... And many of them, three of the six people I currently live with, are all 80 Years Old at minimum... Which means, that in between 5 to 15 Years, all of them will probably be gone... So I would only live with my mom, since a family friend we live with will probably move out with her family in a couple of years...
I'm afraid all these years I've spent studying, will end up being in vain... If I got torn apart in both high school and college, if I couldn't socialize at all in those places (aside from few exceptions), if many people I know think I'm an r-word... What if I end up being destroyed by someone in a workplace?

I don't know how to socialize, as most of the friends I still have were made back when I still tried to connect with others... And, I've told my mom I don't want to marry, nor have children at all... Since, I would probably be a bad father (maybe too permissive, and I would never forgive myself if any future children of mine could end up destroyed since I wasn't strict enough to guide them)... Plus, I'm not even worthy of being in a romantic relationship, since the only time I've dated was online, and I'm just too immature, too annoying and childish, so I would rather not risk making another enemy if things go badly... I've been rejected from almost every single place I've tried to socialize or make friends, be it internet websites, college and high school, even support groups... No matter how much I've tried, I always end up messing things up, even now I have some letters I plan to send to some people to tell them they don't have to talk to me anymore if that makes them feel uncomfortable... Heh, when making a list of how many people I don't get along with, it's about thirty-five...

What could I do if I'm not able to work, and provide towards my family? What if my actions means that I've doomed my mother to suffer into the future, as she would see her only son ended up being a complete failure? She told me she's worried, and she doesn't want me to die alone, she even wants to be a grandmother... How can I tell her that it's never going to happen? That once she dies, I will probably be a lonely, broken old man, who might die alone in the worst case inside my house, and no one would find me until weeks or months later when the smell gets unbeareable...
I was quite overprotected because I was born with severe allergies, and as a kid I ended up in and out of clinics back when I felt I couldn't breathe at all (thankfully they're not as severe today). My mom blames herself, saying that she and the rest of my family shouldn't have acted like that, but I know at the very least they didn't have any bad intentions...

Things would be easier if I was the only one who might pay the price but... Knowing that my mom will suffer, that most of my family are slowly aging, getting weaker and more ill, that I might not have a strong enough support network to help her, or at worst, that I won't be able to survive in a job, so I would have to work in a taxi cab or something like that just to bring food and water to the table... Have been in therapy for almost a year so far, so I should be better, right? Little to none work experiences, a tendency to piss people off and getting disliked to making enemies in an easy way, probably way too boring/dumb to make friends...

What could I do to survive, at the very least to ensure my mom and family get comfortable lives until they're all gone? Perhaps then I could CTB, when I reach 67 at maximum (that's if mom dies at 100 Years Old), hope the laws are different in that future...

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: lofticries, Weeping Garbage Can, onlyanimalsaregood and 2 others
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
I am 66, reference point for this post and in a lot of ways I was like you and still am. Even now, I seem to think differently and make people annoyed at me from the get-go. Now with that said I have learned through the decades to adjust, take things with a grain of salt and be me.

You are a very kind, sensitive and caring soul, with so much to give yourself in the future and others. Just a thought here, but do not be so hard on yourself, you are a very intelligent, caring and kind soul, and one NEVER knows what tomorrow brings.

Relax, close your eyes and just let your thoughts go and refresh yourself. Way back in the 1970's, I thought that I never would be able to do anything and now I have just started a new position, yes at 66, and am traveling and loving all my awesome friends here on SS.

I am being 100% honest with you, as far as I truly believe in you now AND in the future. You have all the hall marks of being a very good soul with a bright future.

Being 66 does NOT make me smart, heck I am stupid, BUT I have decades of life experience, seen that, been there, saw good, bad and everything in-between and that is why I truly believe in you. YOU ARE AWESOME!

Have a great upcoming week and plenty of sunny blue skies to you, my good friend.

Walter

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Anonymous1997ES, lofticries, stoicseal and 3 others
G

Grey-zoner

Dec 17, 2021
I'm a 31-year old who feels like a very immature 22 year old and lives with his parents, so by comparison you're not doing poorly.
Get a job (full or part-time) that you're not likely to impulsively quit after a week or two (my problem in my early to mid 20s). Develop good attendance, take lots of notes at work in case anxiety messes with your memory. Be open about your social anxiety if it seems relevant or appropriate. Depending on where you live, you might receive some understanding.
If you have an income, keep track of how much you make per month, and how much you spend. Maybe use a spreadsheet program like Excel or a free alternative. This will give you some financial confidence. Also learn the very basics of finance, how to pay taxes and build credit. I wouldn't bother with a 401K or retirement program at this point, but it helps to know the fundamentals of the stock market. Create a bank account, and get a credit card if you don't have one--use it responsibly.
Learn to drive if you don't know already, get a learner's permit and find a way to practice. Spend a few months or more to get knowledgeable.
Exercise occasionally, jogging or going to the gym. It can start with simple push-ups or a run around the block.
Cook for yourself. Find cheap recipes. Know how to cook rice, beans, pasta, make a burrito or quesadilla, etc... Basic, low-cost options that can be cooked to last for the week.
I'm sure there are others, but I hope it helps even if only a little. If a not particularly intelligent teenager can figure this shit out then so can you, and probably better than they do.

• Hugs
Reactions: Anonymous1997ES, lofticries, Weeping Garbage Can and 2 others
onlyanimalsaregood

onlyanimalsaregood

Unlovable 💔 Rest in peace CommitSudoku 🤍
Mar 11, 2022
I am 66, reference point for this post and in a lot of ways I was like you and still am. Even now, I seem to think differently and make people annoyed at me from the get-go. Now with that said I have learned through the decades to adjust, take things with a grain of salt and be me.

You are a very kind, sensitive and caring soul, with so much to give yourself in the future and others. Just a thought here, but do not be so hard on yourself, you are a very intelligent, caring and kind soul, and one NEVER knows what tomorrow brings.

Relax, close your eyes and just let your thoughts go and refresh yourself. Way back in the 1970's, I thought that I never would be able to do anything and now I have just started a new position, yes at 66, and am traveling and loving all my awesome friends here on SS.

I am being 100% honest with you, as far as I truly believe in you now AND in the future. You have all the hall marks of being a very good soul with a bright future.

Being 66 does NOT make me smart, heck I am stupid, BUT I have decades of life experience, seen that, been there, saw good, bad and everything in-between and that is why I truly believe in you. YOU ARE AWESOME!

Have a great upcoming week and plenty of sunny blue skies to you, my good friend.

Walter
I'm a 31-year old who feels like a very immature 22 year old and lives with his parents, so by comparison you're not doing poorly.
Get a job (full or part-time) that you're not likely to impulsively quit after a week or two (my problem in my early to mid 20s). Develop good attendance, take lots of notes at work in case anxiety messes with your memory. Be open about your social anxiety if it seems relevant or appropriate. Depending on where you live, you might receive some understanding.
If you have an income, keep track of how much you make per month, and how much you spend. Maybe use a spreadsheet program like Excel or a free alternative. This will give you some financial confidence. Also learn the very basics of finance, how to pay taxes and build credit. I wouldn't bother with a 401K or retirement program at this point, but it helps to know the fundamentals of the stock market. Create a bank account, and get a credit card if you don't have one--use it responsibly.
Learn to drive if you don't know already, get a learner's permit and find a way to practice. Spend a few months or more to get knowledgeable.
Exercise occasionally, jogging or going to the gym. It can start with simple push-ups or a run around the block.
Cook for yourself. Find cheap recipes. Know how to cook rice, beans, pasta, make a burrito or quesadilla, etc... Basic, low-cost options that can be cooked to last for the week.
I'm sure there are others, but I hope it helps even if only a little. If a not particularly intelligent teenager can figure this shit out then so can you, and probably better than they do.
Really good advices here 🤗 Just want to say that you're awesome @whywere and @Grey-zoner :)

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Anonymous1997ES, lofticries, Weeping Garbage Can and 1 other person
A

Anonymous1997ES

Jul 30, 2021

Walter
Wish I could think the same Mr. Walter... Even now, I had to say goodbye to the last friend I thought I had in another website, because he might've gotten angry or thought I didn't want to help him in a project of his (still did, wanted to keep my promise). Of course you're not stupid, don't think that about yourself. Make sure to keep those friendships you have in here, and not lose your kindness, okay? I think this world needs a lot more of it.
Will probably get a job in the following months or year, all of the advice you gave is really awesome! As soon as I get money I will use it wisely, and if it works, will try to learn how to drive or things like that. With this, I hope I'll be able to support my family in the future.
Really good advices here 🤗 Just want to say that you're awesome @whywere and @Grey-zoner :)
Agreed, they both are really good types of advice! Please take care, all three of you! :D

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: whywere and onlyanimalsaregood