• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

mizumono

mizumono

Aug 9, 2023
And if so, how long after would my organs be viable? Would I have to time some messages so they can "collect" me? The thought of my organs living on is very comforting to me.

cygnines

cygnines

knight of infinite resignation.
Feb 23, 2023
refer to others in the thread, my info was not correct. :(

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Love
Reactions: Heidi48, Arvinneedstodie and mizumono
mizumono

mizumono

Aug 9, 2023
ideally (for donation) you'd want to be discovered 'alive' but past the point of resuscitation (brain dead), so your body can be maintained on a ventilator, thus preserving the state of the organs.
oh my! thank you so much for your reply! i guess i will need to calculate the amount and the hours even more thoroughly now

Reactions: cygnines
willitpass

willitpass

Don’t try to offer me help, I’ve tried everything
Mar 10, 2020
Organ donation can only occur if you are found brain dead but physically alive/revivable. You have to be alive enough to be kept on life support while all of your organs are tested for viability and donors are picked and then taken to the OR. If you are gone and resuscitation efforts are stopped you cannot donate organs. Your body must be alive up until the point that they are cutting your organs out in the operating room. Tissue death starts the second your heart stops beating, sometimes even before then. It is a very short window of time. That is why organ donation is in such high demand, you have to die in just the right manner to be viable to donate. And being able to donate doesn't mean you will be able to donate everything, you may only have a good liver, or maybe your kidneys and heart, maybe just your corneas. There is very extensive testing done to determine what is good enough. It is very tedious, as it should be, as it would be awful to wait for months on the transplant list only to receive another damaged organ.
as a rough estimate; for your heart and lungs, they'd need to be harvested within 4-6 hours post mortem. these two are the most sensitive to lack of oxygen and blood flow. your liver is more resilient, and can be harvested up to 12 hours post mortem. the pancreas, 12-24 hours. the kidneys are viable for ~24-36 hours. for your tissues (skin, bone) you'd have several days of viability, for your corneas maybe ~24 hours.
Post mortem implies that the organs can be taken from a body that has not had any blood flow or oxygen. There is no case where an organ can be harvested from a dead body. A heart that stopped beating 4 hours ago is full of dead cells. That is not ever going to start beating again, and definitely not well enough to be put in someone else's chest and restarted. Harvested organs are instantly put on ice and kept cold and transported to the receipient as quickly as possible. One of the factors when deciding who gets an organ is distance, if they are too far from the donor they will not receive to even if it's a perfect match because the cells start to die and the organ may be too damaged. Transplants are coordinated and calculated to involve as little time between harvesting and transplantation as can be possible. Unfortunately if you are dead when you are found and cannot be revived, transplant is not an option. And even if you are revived, it is likely the damage to many organs could be too severe as CO causes oxygen deprivation.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Forveleth, Praestat_Mori and cygnines
L

LaughingGoat

Mage
Apr 11, 2024
Organ donation can only occur if you are found brain dead but physically alive/revivable. You have to be alive enough to be kept on life support while all of your organs are tested for viability and donors are picked and then taken to the OR. If you are gone and resuscitation efforts are stopped you cannot donate organs. Your body must be alive up until the point that they are cutting your organs out in the operating room. Tissue death starts the second your heart stops beating, sometimes even before then. It is a very short window of time. That is why organ donation is in such high demand, you have to die in just the right manner to be viable to donate. And being able to donate doesn't mean you will be able to donate everything, you may only have a good liver, or maybe your kidneys and heart, maybe just your corneas. There is very extensive testing done to determine what is good enough. It is very tedious, as it should be, as it would be awful to wait for months on the transplant list only to receive another damaged organ.
This is what I was able to gather when researching for my own plans. OP, think you misunderstood the 1st person who was essentially saying the same that the organs have to be preserved and kept oxidated to be used, meaning you need to be found alive. The 1st person saying the organs will be harvested hours still meant that they are being preserved in that time, again meaning you were found alive. It's unfortunately not realistically doable to set up timing a message without risking the possibility that you will be saved, outside of you committing immediate suicide inside a hospital.

• Love
Reactions: Forveleth and cygnines
cygnines

cygnines

knight of infinite resignation.
Feb 23, 2023

Post mortem implies that the organs can be taken from a body that has not had any blood flow or oxygen. There is no case where an organ can be harvested from a dead body. A heart that stopped beating 4 hours ago is full of dead cells. That is not ever going to start beating again, and definitely not well enough to be put in someone else's chest and restarted. Harvested organs are instantly put on ice and kept cold and transported to the receipient as quickly as possible. One of the factors when deciding who gets an organ is distance, if they are too far from the donor they will not receive to even if it's a perfect match because the cells start to die and the organ may be too damaged. Transplants are coordinated and calculated to involve as little time between harvesting and transplantation as can be possible. Unfortunately if you are dead when you are found and cannot be revived, transplant is not an option. And even if you are revived, it is likely the damage to many organs could be too severe as CO causes oxygen deprivation.
thank you for correcting me with more accurate information.

locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
Even if you are unable to donate your organs, you could still donate your body "to science", as it were, for up and coming medical students at universities to learn on.

Reactions: DefinitelyReady and Forveleth
Iris Blue

Iris Blue

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-
Oct 23, 2023
I respect your decision of considering donating your organs after you are gone. I too would love to do that, I have it on my drivers license too but from what I just read it doesn't look like I would be able to donate in time :(

• Love
Reactions: mizumono
willitpass

willitpass

Mar 10, 2020
Even if you are unable to donate your organs, you could still donate your body "to science", as it were, for up and coming medical students at universities to learn on.
Unfortunately that process also has a very short window. The body has to very quickly start to be preserved after death as teaching cadavers are kept and used for a long period of time so preventing decay is extremely important. When you sign up to donate your body to cadaver use you have to sign acknowledgment that it will only be possible if death occurs in such a manner that they can begin preservation within X amount of time after death. Essentially you have to die in the hospital again.

• Informative
Reactions: locked*n*loaded
mizumono

mizumono

Aug 9, 2023
God this sounds awful! lol I had to look at cadavers in college and everyone else always made it feel icky just looking at it.
I respect your decision of considering donating your organs after you are gone. I too would love to do that, I have it on my drivers license too but from what I just read it doesn't look like I would be able to donate in time :(
yeah, that's what i've gathered :/ guess i'll keep on being useless even after death hooray

Little_Suzy

Little_Suzy

Amphibious
May 1, 2023
Take your organs with you! There are several reasons, but when it comes to "death," we must make dying acceptable.

Donating an organ fosters the belief that repairing the body at all costs will also repair your life!

This is how mentally ill people are treated. "We need to fix that person!" In reality, a caregiver and a support network should take priority.

willitpass

willitpass

Mar 10, 2020
Take your organs with you! There are several reasons, but when it comes to "death," we must make dying acceptable.

Donating an organ fosters the belief that repairing the body at all costs will also repair your life!

This is how mentally ill people are treated. "We need to fix that person!" In reality, a caregiver and a support network should take priority.
Not everyone wants to die. Those on the organ transplant list go through months of extensive testing and procedures to ensure that they are physically and mentally ready to receive one, and part of that includes psychological evaluations. Most people who fought hard enough to get onto the transplant list (not all obviously, there's someone on here who is on the waiting list) desperately want to live to the point they are willing to go through the hell that is pre and post organ transplantation. That is NOT an easy journey, so they want that damn bad. It is not your right to say that they should not want or value life just because you don't, in the same light it is not their place to say we should value life just because they do. If you don't want to donate organs, don't, but don't say that it's some belief being forced onto people that they have to live no matter what. Many on the transplant list WANT to do any and all they can to save their life. I work in healthcare. I don't value my own life, but I see everyday people who want to make the choice to do all they can to live. And if that person wants a transplant, they deserve the opportunity to get a transplant.

• Hugs
Reactions: Ash, Little_Suzy and LaVieEnRose
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
God this sounds awful! lol I had to look at cadavers in college and everyone else always made it feel icky just looking at it.
It certainly serves an important function. How else would medical students be able to learn about the human body?

Reactions: willitpass and Ash
willitpass

willitpass

Mar 10, 2020
It certainly serves an important function. How else would medical students be able to learn about the human body?
As uncomfortable as it was for me to have classes with them, it was incredibly important. I would always get myself through it by reminding myself these people wanted to donate their bodies like this.

Reactions: Ash and locked*n*loaded