Deleted member 17331

Deleted member 17331

The swan sang with a broken neck
Apr 21, 2020
A few years ago when I stayed in a psychiatric clinic, I noticed that most of my colleagues who were with me also attempted suicide. Most of them (like me), tried impulsively. But what caught my attention at that time was a roommate who (unlike everyone) had a definite date. She marked the month, day and time that she would put her ctb plan into action, and she told me that this was sometimes unbearable. The pain of knowing that her days were numbered made her collapse. Spending all her money, making donations of things considered valuable, getting rid of drawings, diaries and other important things, was one of the things she hated. I don't know exactly why it hasn't been completed. She didn't feel well talking about it, and I respected her space.

I noticed that some users here also have a huge difficulty with dates for ctb. I shared messages with a member and realized that he felt embarrassed to say goodbye with a set date and even wrote that he felt like a fraud for not finishing up and taken over by SI. After that, he ended up banning his own account and I never heard from him again. This should never be a reason to be ashamed or to feel incapable. I miss him so much...

In your perception, can definite dates also be harmful? Has it affected you in any way?

Gratitude for your time.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Ἡγησίας, Hear My Bus a Comin and 6 others
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
I don't even try with dates tbh. How can someone as mentally unstable as me say that they will definitely be ready to ctb at a certain time? Seems pointless, there is no rush.

• Hugs
Reactions: Hear My Bus a Comin, lululoo, Deleted member 17331 and 2 others
SpottedPanda

SpottedPanda

I'm all about coffee and cigarettes
Jul 24, 2019
I haven't set a date, because somehow, oddly, that'd make me feel like I'd given up control. I like the power that 'I have control' possesses. Feeling like pressurising myself into one exact moment in time would make 'I can if I like' feel like 'I have to.'

Reactions: Hear My Bus a Comin, Lastsauce, lululoo and 1 other person
KLUF

KLUF

Jun 16, 2020
I think that one should leave this world, if they choose to, whenever they feel it is time. Making sure that all their belongings are inherited to someone they know, or, if they don't have someone like that, well, after passing they won't care anyway.
An exit date would drive me crazy tbh, this requires thorough planning and knowing I 100% want to CTB and on that day and not the other.

Reactions: Hear My Bus a Comin, lululoo and Deleted member 17331
Stevenstevensteven

Stevenstevensteven

Jun 2, 2020
I have a tentative date, I couldn't do it because of fathers day. I dont want to do it too close to July 4th. I do not want my children and family to morn my loss with an associated holiday. Not to say that I won't try SN on this Sunday though. I have found that if the build up is good enough for the attempt, then it doesn't matter much if its impulsive or planned as long as one is ready.

• Hugs
Reactions: Hear My Bus a Comin and Deleted member 17331
clocktower

clocktower

anxious
Jun 25, 2020
i think aside from avoiding important events like family birthdays etc, a date isn't a good idea. i feel like it adds a certain layer of pressure, and can make you feel even worse if you find yourself not quite ready or you haven't organised everything by then. having everything ready for when you realise you're truly ready sounds much more preferable to me.

Reactions: Hear My Bus a Comin, lululoo, Stevenstevensteven and 1 other person
Stevenstevensteven

Stevenstevensteven

Jun 2, 2020
i think aside from avoiding important events like family birthdays etc, a date isn't a good idea. i feel like it adds a certain layer of pressure, and can make you feel even worse if you find yourself not quite ready or you haven't organised everything by then. having everything ready for when you realise you're truly ready sounds much more preferable to me.
Basically what I was trying to say. But much more elliquently. Bravo

Reactions: Hear My Bus a Comin, clocktower and Deleted member 17331
YourWayOrMine

YourWayOrMine

Apr 17, 2020
I planned to ctb on December 22nd, 2019 (obviously I was not successful) and the days leading up to it made me very anxious but calm. I was anxious because I wasn't sure if I would end up going through with it and I had to prepare a lot of things such as letters to my friends. But I felt calm because it was going to be over and I didn't have to worry about all the thoughts in my head.
I ended up going to the mall to hang out with my boyfriend on December 22nd because I thought that maybe it would help me realize that I wasn't ready and that I should just wait until after Christmas was over. However, it had pretty much the opposite effect. Me and him got into an argument and I impulsively overdosed despite the fact that I wasn't supposed to attempt that day. I ended up going to the psych ward for about a week.
I think it's ironic that my attempt ended up being impulsive on the day it was planned.
I don't know if this makes any sense, I'm very bad at explaining things. :aw:

• Hugs
Reactions: Hear My Bus a Comin, lululoo, Stevenstevensteven and 2 others
Deleted member 17331

Deleted member 17331

The swan sang with a broken neck
Apr 21, 2020
I planned to ctb on December 22nd, 2019 (obviously I was not successful) and the days leading up to it made me very anxious but calm. I was anxious because I wasn't sure if I would end up going through with it and I had to prepare a lot of things such as letters to my friends. But I felt calm because it was going to be over and I didn't have to worry about all the thoughts in my head.
I ended up going to the mall to hang out with my boyfriend on December 22nd because I thought that maybe it would help me realize that I wasn't ready and that I should just wait until after Christmas was over. However, it had pretty much the opposite effect. Me and him got into an argument and I impulsively overdosed despite the fact that I wasn't supposed to attempt that day. I ended up going to the psych ward for about a week.
I think it's ironic that my attempt ended up being impulsive on the day it was planned.
I don't know if this makes any sense, I'm very bad at explaining things. :aw:

I'm sorry for so much pain. This made sense to me and was a significant explanation. Gratitude for your time and for sharing your experience with us. :heart:

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Hear My Bus a Comin, Lastsauce and 1 other person
lululoo

lululoo

Mage
Dec 15, 2018
I have tried twice now to set a date and do a prolonged anti-emetic regimen in preparation.

Both times the deadline aspect have added to the fear and stress. My mind and body became so overwhelmed, and new fears popped up that made me have to delay until I addressed them.

I have finally resolved that I will do a stat dose anti-emetic, and I will not hold myself to a specific date.

• Hugs
Reactions: Interloper, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Hear My Bus a Comin and 2 others
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I've set dates before and while they provide temporary relief in terms of solidarity. When the actual date draws closer I find myself far more on edge.

This is why I set a loose set of conditions now instead of a date. I do know that if certain conditions are or aren't met then I'm going to CTB for sure.

• Hugs
Reactions: Hear My Bus a Comin, Deleted member 17331 and lululoo
A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
It would depend on the individual. It's not uncommon for suicidal individuals to actually experience relief when a definite course of suicide is decided upon. On the other hand, if you told most people the day they would die, it might paralyze many, especially if it is close at hand.

Reactions: Hear My Bus a Comin, Deleted member 17331 and Stevenstevensteven