N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Today I listened to an interview with a true crime podcaster. This true crime genre is quite popular in my country. It was an old woman. She was quite analytic about the topic for me maybe a little bit too cold-hearted. Maybe it is a form of protection when one is exposed to cruel suffering stories like every single day.
I gave this genre a shot some years ago. Not my cup of tea. One can learn a lot about the human mind and the abyss of humankind. Though I rather would prefer lectures of scientists otherwise it leaves me the feeling of kitchen sink psychology. I mean if your knowedge only consists of being a listener to such stuff it can lead to some biases.

I think now it is quite obvious where I got from the idea of this thread. I think in a slightly different form we discussed this already. Will everyone commit suicide under certain circumstances? I think the answer were more heterogenous than I expected it. I said yes.

Now to the question of the title. Yes I think under certain circumstance everyone can become a murderer. It was also her conclusion. Let's say killing oneself does not count as murder. She refered to violence and pressure during childhood which can lead people to murder other people. Wanting to have the power over the lives of other people. I compared that with my case. I was abused as a child and the things that make people prone to become a murderer were similar to the way I was raised. Though I absolutely don't have any interest in violence. I think I am quite peaceful. Even when I was psychotic I was a pacifist. I am very glad about that when I see in the news what happens to violent delusional people. Though I also developed the desire for power. To reign over people. Probably one reason why I wanted to become politician. It was quite a niave dream. I am absolutely not made for becoming a politician. I rather think I might even was a little bit too much of a pacifist. I blame myself that I did not defend myself enough against my mom or bullies. But this thought is bullshit. All the things I was taught made me completely dysfunctional. I was an easy target. I had no chance to escape that.

What could lead me to murder? Probably when suicide is defined as murder. Though I absolutely dislike that because murder is often defined as an action which was committed for vile reasons. This is why I hate the term self-murderer. People who commit suicide are not evil.
Now to murdering someone. I am often quite anxious about driving a car. I avoid it as good as possible. I almost never drive. I am even anxious and neurotic about that. I think I am not kind mentally unstable and I don't have trust in my abilities. I am scared I could accidentally kill someone.

Now to a planned murder. Honestly I gets more and more difficult. Maybe I underestimate my mind. I think if someone threatened me severely. Like when someone would be close of torturing me. However I am quite weak so I needed a weapon. I hope this never happens. And i think it is quite unlikely. I am kind of a shut-in. Though I dislike this term.

I could now try to analyze when other people could become murderers in general. But I basically don't have a clue and who cares about my opinion anyway?
Instead I write about something else.

She also talked about how past generations of Germans were accomplices during the Nazi regime. Personally I think yes this could repeat for sure. Many people are sheep. We see this is in Russia. If there is a violent regime many people are concerned mostly about their own well-being. Many average Germans became murderers.

Then she talked a little bit about victims of crimes who are in the cage of self-pitying and an always repeating thought-loop. Sadly I could relate to that a lot. But I have made some progrees at least for now. I think when I relapse this will all repeat.

Do you think we all could potentially become murderers? I think yes.

Last edited:
D

darkcirclesunder

Sep 8, 2022
I dont think everyone could be

Last edited:
StolenLife

StolenLife

Warlock
Sep 19, 2022
Definitely yes in cases when it's about your own survival. For example killing for food or killing in self defence. Also maybe killing to avenge a loved one or to protect them. Though I'm not sure if these are the answers you were looking for. As for malicious murder I think it's simply down to the brain wiring as psychopaths show a difference in their brains such as smaller frontal lobe.

Reactions: Un-
S

SarRy

Student
Oct 5, 2022
Under the right circumstances, people will shock themselves when they learn what they are capable of. Many people will gladly kill if they think they are under threat. Look at war propaganda. Tell people they are a victim or under attack and they will line up to go and kill others.

Reactions: Un-
makethepainstop

makethepainstop

Visionary
Sep 16, 2022
With the correct stimulation any soul could do murder.

Hirokami

Hirokami

Out of order
Feb 21, 2021
I think anyone could become a murderer, though most people would kill out of self-defense. We often forget we're animals and it's impossible to completely avoid our primal instincts, no matter how "advanced" we think we are.

Reactions: whatevs and WhatPowerIs
WhatPowerIs

WhatPowerIs

Paragon
Jun 19, 2022
Mostly out of self defense I think, yeah.