C

couragetodie

Student
Jan 2, 2019
Why do friends and family say to call them anytime night or day when they don't really mean that?

Reactions: esclava, Otto, Fuzzy94 and 8 others
TheDevilsAngel

TheDevilsAngel

LetMeFree
Apr 22, 2019
Why do friends and family say to call them anytime night or day when they don't really mean that?
Thats what they do i think it's because there selfish and dont really care or understand....things are always on there own time when they want to answer or talk... I dont think any of my family are truly there for me, if i told them all i wasn't goin talking to them anymore they would probably not even bother me they would give up and then say "leave her off if she's going to be like that"

Dandelion

Dandelion

Wrap you in yarn and grass, embalm you with milk
May 11, 2019
Out of respect I guess??? So if something happens they can feel less guilty saying that they where there for you when you needed it or something like that

Reactions: Donewitheverything, Maksimka Ai, NoOneKnows and 1 other person
Halo13

Halo13

Wizard
May 9, 2019
I think it is to look like they tried. But then they say "do you know what time it is?? I was asleep!!" If they answer at all.

Reactions: NoOneKnows
C

couragetodie

Student
Jan 2, 2019
perhaps that's why the depressed ones of us are here on SS. That's why we want to CTB. We never did have that family that we needed to make us feel sane, safe, happy, secure.

Reactions: DLS02, Maksimka Ai, Halo13 and 1 other person
JadedGray

JadedGray

Life Eternal
Jul 24, 2018
To absolve themselves of guilt when they know the person is depressed and suicidal, and make it seem like they have done their best to help.

Reactions: daikon, lululoo, Maksimka Ai and 1 other person
J

Jean Améry

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2019
Because it's a social convention. Just like asking the question 'how are you?' isn't meant as an invitation to reply honestly. I found in this world it's pretty much 'every man for himself and god for all'. Generally people only care about themselves and view others in this way: what can this person do for me or how does his/her behaviour affect me?

It's a rare breed of person that actually cares about another human-being. Regardless of family ties or social bonds.

Last edited:
Reactions: esclava, lululoo, Walilamdzi and 2 others
M

Mbound

Experienced
Apr 29, 2019
The only people who I know mean this are my parents, because I have called them maybe 2-3 times over the past few years at 5am and cried for an hour and they talked to me and didn't make me feel bad about it .

However. That was once in a blue moon. If I did that 4 nights a week for a month straight I think they would feel differently (which is understandable, I get super cranky when I'm kept awake).

Reactions: Should be gone and Halo13
C

couragetodie

Student
Jan 2, 2019
The only people who I know mean this are my parents, because I have called them maybe 2-3 times over the past few years at 5am and cried for an hour and they talked to me and didn't make me feel bad about it .

However. That was once in a blue moon. If I did that 4 nights a week for a month straight I think they would feel differently (which is understandable, I get super cranky when I'm kept awake).

Right. But that is something.
Because it's a social convention. Just like asking the question 'how are you?' isn't meant as an invitation to reply honestly. I found in this world it's pretty much 'every man for himself and god for all'. Generally people only care about themselves and view others in this way: what can this person do for me or how does his/her behaviour affect me?

It's a rare breed of person that actually cares about another human-being. Regardless of family ties or social bonds.

It would be better if they were honest. Then we wouldn't get our hopes up.

Reactions: daikon
M

Mbound

Experienced
Apr 29, 2019

It definitely is and I know it's rare. I've had doctors and other friends who have said that and I've known they didn't mean it. But what I meant to get across is I think there are genuinely a lot of people who would be there for you even if you called them at a crazy hour-- just maybe not if you did it over and over again. But I'm just assuming that, you know your situation best and it's very possible the people in your life saying this don't mean it at all.

Reactions: Should be gone
J

Jean Améry

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2019

It would be better if they were honest. Then we wouldn't get our hopes up.

If you assume people are essentially selfish and egocentric you won't get your hopes up. The advantage of being a pessimist is that you're seldom proven wrong.

Expecting humans to be honest is like expecting dogs not to lick themselves. Homo sapiens sapies is the hypocritical animal.

Reactions: Maksimka Ai