t-rex

t-rex

Jan 8, 2022
Hi folks. Over the past year or two, I have occasionally toyed with the idea of quitting caffeine in order to stabilize my mood and energy levels and sleep better. I have wondered whether it would actually help my depression in the end, but I can't find much info out there pointing to any likelihood of this result. In fact, most sources seem to consider caffeine/coffee an antidepressant, and there was some Harvard study around 2013 that found that those who drink a few cups of coffee per day had like a 50% lower risk of suicide.

So given that my depression has been creeping back the last couple weeks (including some SI, hence me browsing around on here), now would seem like a dangerous time to just quit. But I am about to have two weeks in between my current job and a new one and it seems like to perfect time to detox (I can sit at home and be as lazy/irritable as I want and it won't impact anyone else). Some would recommend a gradual taper, but I don't know, I'm too impatient for that. The idea of going through an intense detox for 7-10 days and emerging with a new calmness and clarity and ready to start my new job sounds appealing. I just don't know if I can make it through the hell of detox--I've been a daily coffee drinker (2-3 cups daily of strong stuff) for almost 20 years. I'm sure the depression and SI would get pretty bad for a couple of days.

Has anyone here tried getting off caffeine? How did it go? With my mental illness, maybe I'm just meant to be on caffeine for the rest of my life...

jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
I had no problems going decaf in one move

t-rex

t-rex

Jan 8, 2022
I had no problems going decaf in one move

Really, no heavy withdrawals? That is unusual. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be the case with me.

Are you still caffeine free? How does it feel compared to before?

jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
Really, no heavy withdrawals? That is unusual. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be the case with me.

Are you still caffeine free? How does it feel compared to before?
I'm back on it again, I didn't like the choice of flavour of decaf. I haven't noticed any difference, I can even sleep straight after having a coffee

Reactions: looseye
M

Moonomyth

Student
Feb 6, 2020
It's pretty manageable. Some people like Jodes can swap without issue, but even if you experience withdrawal its most likely form is a long, bad headache that can be managed with OTC pain meds.

Reactions: Celerity
t-rex

t-rex

Jan 8, 2022
It's pretty manageable. Some people like Jodes can swap without issue, but even if you experience withdrawal its most likely form is a long, bad headache that can be managed with OTC pain meds.
I definitely expect the headaches, but I also expect a mental crash, hopelessness, despair, etc. At least I have read accounts of this. Do you have experience coming off caffeine as well?

Thanks for your replies.

M

Moonomyth

Student
Feb 6, 2020
Mostly, I felt tired, and when I did I didn't fight it and went to sleep. Sleeping through the withdrawals was the ideal result.

makethepainstop

makethepainstop

Visionary
Sep 16, 2022
Would never work for me, I guzzle iced tea like a 747 guzzles jet fuel!😋

Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
I did for a while, but in the end, I switched back to taking it only in the morning when I wake up and drinking only decaffeinated beverages after that. This has been sufficient for me to regulate sleep. I have also found helpful blue-light-blocking glasses at night along with melatonin to encourage sleep.