J

Jazzy

Jul 16, 2020
Is it wise to get a burner phone to order N and if so at what point do I get rid of it? Presumably I'll still need it while waiting for the order in case it doesn't arrive but then I risk it being too late to get rid of the phone (hope this makes sense)

Reactions: KleinerWolf
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
why not use a vpn? i think you can get some for free, of course like everything else you get what you pay for

J

Jazzy

Jul 16, 2020
why not use a vpn? i think you can get some for free, of course like everything else you get what you pay for
I have read a few posts on this site that say not to use VPN. I wish I understood tech things better!

Reactions: puppy9
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
I have read a few posts on this site that say not to use VPN. I wish I understood tech things better!
i wonder why you wouldnt use a vpn? if its a good one like nord i dont see what the problem would be. although if i were to use a burner phone id factory reset then smash it as soon as i got my product, anything can go wrong before then and you might need to contact them again

Reactions: KleinerWolf and Jazzy
puppy9

puppy9

au revoir
Jun 13, 2019
i wonder why you wouldnt use a vpn? if its a good one like nord i dont see what the problem would be. although if i were to use a burner phone id factory reset then smash it as soon as i got my product, anything can go wrong before then and you might need to contact them again
Recommendation is to not use a VPN. Please be advised that for the sake of your anonymity, using a VPN while using Tor is giving yourself a single point of identification. VPNs are inherently not safer than HTTPS.

See: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorPlusVPN
Here's why. I just found out about it.

Reactions: Jazzy
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
Here's why. I just found out about it.
im not so sure about that. i mean how not? if you get a good VPN (one you have to pay for, do your research though) then it is better. if you go for a free one then its iffy, like i already said you get what you pay for. not only that but this is something someone said and admin HIGHLY advises doing your own research on things. i personally think they dont know what they are talking about.

puppy9

puppy9

au revoir
Jun 13, 2019
im not so sure about that. i mean how not? if you get a good VPN (one you have to pay for, do your research though) then it is better. if you go for a free one then its iffy, like i already said you get what you pay for. not only that but this is something someone said and admin HIGHLY advises doing your own research on things. i personally think they dont know what they are talking about.
The link provides various scenarios. It's from TOR project itself. Do you trust your VPN provider? Money doesn't equal trust most of the time. It can mean profits. With VPN faith is recommended. So don't use VPN to you guys out there. TOR is open source and you can their codes void of data collecting. No court order can break that. I trust TOR more than VPN.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
Money doesn't equal trust most of the time.
im not saying money equals trust im just saying a free one is less likely to be as good as one you pay for. also i wouldnt be so sure about TOR either. the FBI compromised that

puppy9

puppy9

au revoir
Jun 13, 2019
im not saying money equals trust im just saying a free one is less likely to be as good as one you pay for. also i wouldnt be so sure about TOR either. the FBI compromised that
I know, and the big picture now, we are talking about TOR compatibility with VPN. That's the initial idea that propels this conversation. I never said that you're saying that. I just ask the question (Do you trust your VPN provider?). There's a difference from asking a question from putting words into someone's mouth (I'm not saying you said that). Now give me an explanation not just assumptions that VPN is better used with TOR.TOR is open source, so it's tough to be compromised. Just make sure that your machine (use Linux, it's better) and TOR is up to date. Most who got fucked did not adhere to this. VPN on the other hand is not open sourced, so they can be the FBI's stooges.