D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
Every day now, my parents or grandparents make rude remarks or comments about me being unemployed. They tell me I need to find work and talk about other unemployed people and how "pathetic" they are when I'm around. It hurts me so badly when they do this. Do they sincerely believe that being disabled and unable to function in society is something I'm happy about? That my problem is just that I'm "lazy"?

I've tried working in various fields, but I'm neither physically nor mentally able to. I can barely go to the hospital for my therapy without breaking down completely and becoming bedridden for weeks to recover. It doesn't help that I feel pathetic myself. I don't want to be this way. Ever since I was diagnosed with autism, my mom has consistently told me, herself, and anyone who'd listen that it's the "good kind of autism". No, mom, there's nothing good about suffering from this condition.

I suppose some people may see their autism as a boon or advantage they have, but for me, it could not be further from the truth. Dare mention how you suffer from autism to the autistic community and you're just labeled an ableist and thrown away because you don't follow the narrative that autism is "the next step in human evolution" or whatever their pseudoscientific sources tell them to feel good, but I digress. Sorry about the rant, I'm pissed off right now.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: MelancholyGirl, OpheliasFlowers, MindFrog and 10 others
Rogue Proxy

Rogue Proxy

Enlightened
Sep 12, 2021
Those toxic carcasses don't deserve the title of "family". They're the ones that are absolutely pathetic for verbally and psychologically abusing you, lambasting anyone for being unemployed, and refusing to understand or help you.

Ironically, autistics that ignore, silence, minimize, ridicule, shame, or berate individuals who suffer more than "succeed" are the real ableists. Glorifying another's suffering actually deteriorates the individual's situation by creating and worsening isolation and lack of support, and impedes their ability to try solving, improving, or preventing their pain. This also stifles the whole autistic community's chances of being understood, taken seriously, or receiving support.

• Hugs
Reactions: OpheliasFlowers, Huntfish34, DynamicDepression and 2 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Those people sound so insensitive and invalidating. Of course they will never be able to understand as they are not in a similar situation, but people should learn to be kinder to those suffering. It is understandable why you would be so frustrated.

Reactions: DynamicDepression
S

Suicideorgy

Jun 20, 2022
People are dicks. I would recommend going out and doing something you enjoy. You dont need to make these people happy, they can go fuck themselves, go out and make yourself happy for a change. Even if its something simple like walking to a mcdonalds and getting something from the dollar menu with whatever change you have. Atleast you aint gotta listen to people bitching at you in a mcdonalds.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: OpheliasFlowers, Huntfish34, whatevs and 1 other person
H

HoneyandGlass

Student
Jun 22, 2022
That sounds horrible. You should not be experiencing that. Perhaps they need an education in autism and thr impact on people who are diagnosed or have traits. Sorry this is happening to you.

• Hugs
Reactions: OpheliasFlowers, Huntfish34 and DynamicDepression
Well-Edited Chaos

Well-Edited Chaos

May 8, 2022
That sounds horrible. You should not be experiencing that. Perhaps they need an education in autism and the impact on people who are diagnosed or have traits. Sorry this is happening to you.
It does sound horrible. I'm sorry you're going through this, @DynamicDepression. But I have to disagree with @Cazzie - I don't think your "family" needs an education. I think they need an empathy transplant, or a swift kick in the head. What losers.

Reactions: OpheliasFlowers, DynamicDepression, Rogue Proxy and 1 other person
Judy Garland

Judy Garland

HoHum
Mar 23, 2022
My "family" is the same way. All they ever cared about was if I had a job or not. And they all shook their heads and gossiped about me when I lost jobs and was unemployed. Heck, my cousin and his wife told their kids not to talk to me because I have "problems". They were never kind to me, and when I would say "hello" to them at a family get together or something, they would outright ignore me and walk away. This behavior was accepted because I had "problems" as everyone said. I'm sorry you have autism and I know, because I worked with adults with autism at ARC, that it is not evolution. The people I worked with were severely disabled because of it and one girl used to beat up staff just because she wanted to. It was awful working at ARC. I'm feeling very terrible too. I won't be long on this earth. I hope you feel better somehow. But that is much easier said, than done.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: OpheliasFlowers, Huntfish34, MindFrog and 5 others
B

Boas

Nov 9, 2020
Every day now, my parents or grandparents make rude remarks or comments about me being unemployed. They tell me I need to find work and talk about other unemployed people and how "pathetic" they are when I'm around. It hurts me so badly when they do this. Do they sincerely believe that being disabled and unable to function in society is something I'm happy about? That my problem is just that I'm "lazy"?

I've tried working in various fields, but I'm neither physically nor mentally able to. I can barely go to the hospital for my therapy without breaking down completely and becoming bedridden for weeks to recover. It doesn't help that I feel pathetic myself. I don't want to be this way. Ever since I was diagnosed with autism, my mom has consistently told me, herself, and anyone who'd listen that it's the "good kind of autism". No, mom, there's nothing good about suffering from this condition.

I suppose some people may see their autism as a boon or advantage they have, but for me, it could not be further from the truth. Dare mention how you suffer from autism to the autistic community and you're just labeled an ableist and thrown away because you don't follow the narrative that autism is "the next step in human evolution" or whatever their pseudoscientific sources tell them to feel good, but I digress. Sorry about the rant, I'm pissed off right now.
Autism is genrtic they propably have it as well and dont have empathy but dont want to do anything about it, its caused by trauma and stigmatization in my opinion i wish you luck with this

whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
Reality is ableist, and doesn't care about our feelings. Yes, we are afflicted, not gifted, I agree. Even if I produce something extraordinary it likely will never reward me enough for my miserable existence until that point of relative and insufficient success.

• Hugs
Reactions: DynamicDepression and Huntfish34
MindFrog

MindFrog

:Professional Hypocrite:
Nov 19, 2020
They say autism is not an illness but they make you really feels like it is.

It's so hard to live into this world and be neurodivergent. It's almost a guarantee that you'll fall off the wagon if you dont have a good support system.

It doesnt help that your own family does that too even when they see you LITERALLY going to therapy for it. Are they f*ing blind or something? Gods this makes me angrier, the more I think about it.

• Hugs
Reactions: DynamicDepression, Rogue Proxy, OpheliasFlowers and 1 other person
V

Venture98

Jun 25, 2022
I lost my job late last year as well as many other things. Around March I feeling better mentally to look for a job. I interviewed with a company, completed all the necessary training, took a huge test, passed it. Passed the evaluation and assessment process and everything. They told me I would be able to start late July.

I hear nothing new so I follow up with them and they went and hired someone else with more experience. Pulled the rug right from under me. Add it to the list of reasons I'm here.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: DynamicDepression and OpheliasFlowers