P

painofzed

Dec 15, 2021
For those that have read Brave New World, do any of you feel like the "dysopia" that is described in the book sounds amazing and way better than the life we have available? I read that book and all I can think about is how great life would be if society were really like that. Why anyone would want the pain and drudgery that comes with the life we have is beyond me.

Reactions: katagiri83, Disappointered, obafgkm and 1 other person
Disappointered

Disappointered

Enlightened
Sep 21, 2020
"We" are practically there and the world is still shit. I don't trust that the future lifeforms will be treated well, will truly be free from suffering. And the process of trying to get there has involved inflicting a lot of pain and misery on a lot of people so...

Reactions: newave3
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
I'd have to reread it as an adult, but no, I did not think it was that great. The protagonist seemed extremely sad and hopeless even with all that pleasure. A whole underclass was built out of people engineered to be genetically (mentally) inferior. Doesn't sound very awesome to me.

Reactions: obafgkm
P

painofzed

Dec 15, 2021
I don't see how we are anywhere even close to there. Can you ellaborate?
"We" are practically there and the world is still shit. I don't trust that the future lifeforms will be treated well, will truly be free from suffering. And the process of trying to get there has involved inflicting a lot of pain and misery on a lot of people so...
I don't see how we are anywhere even close to that world. Can you elaborate?