ham and potatoes

ham and potatoes

Just some hillbilly
Mar 27, 2024
First off, i am in no way encouraging, recommending, or suggesting this as a suicide method,
and i dont recomend it, because i have no idea how awful phosgene gas poisoning would be.
But i have been trying to teach myself to weld, and one thing ive came across a couple time is that you should never use chlorinated brake cleaner/ chlorinated solvents to clean your metal before you weld, because the heat can break down the chlorinated solvents down into phosgene gas.
now, phosgene was a chemical weapon used in the trenches of WWI, and can be deadly at like 50 ppm.
So could someone with some chemistry knowledge shed some light on this for me?

Intoxicated

Intoxicated

M
Nov 16, 2023
There are no reasons to use COCl2 unless you're a terrorist. Low lethal concentrations of it have very slow onset (hours or even days). Higher concentrations that could kill you quickly might be very unpleasant to inhale and would pose a high risk of serious injure or death to other living organisms around you.

If you're looking for highly efficient toxic gases for CTB, better consider hydrogen sulfide, carbon monoxide, and hydrogen cyanide.