stayedtoolong

stayedtoolong

September ♡
Aug 13, 2024
I'm unsure of how to function on a day to day basis. The suicidal thoughts and tendencies do not make it better and the borderline makes it worse.

I truly do not know where to begin or what to do. I have been in and out of therapy for a lot of years and now I'm wondering if it would even be useful anymore? I would have to pay out of pocket if I decide to go ahead with it - but truly every therapy I have had has just been an endless cycle of me ruminating on things I believe I can not change. They've been talking therapies. Has anyone here experienced a different style of therapy (excluding mainly talking ones) that has helped them?

If therapy isn't what I need then what? Because I can not do this alone and I am all out of ideas. If you have borderline or any personality disorder or a disorder that mentally inhabilitates you, what has helped you? How do I stop the conflict I'm facing in my head in order to do anything?

I am at a loss.

Reactions: MBiopic
FlufflesAway

FlufflesAway

Jul 31, 2024
Have you tried medication? That's the only thing that's made me _feel_ different (in a positive manner). Personality disorders, I don't think, are something you can talk your way through, unfortunately. I don't think they can be medicated either, but the meds help a bit... so silver lining and all.

Drs have said I have avoidant personality disorder, others suspect bipolar something... they're not sure. There's no clarity on anything.

Reactions: MBiopic
stayedtoolong

stayedtoolong

September ♡
Aug 13, 2024
Have you tried medication? That's the only thing that's made me _feel_ different (in a positive manner). Personality disorders, I don't think, are something you can talk your way through, unfortunately. I don't think they can be medicated either, but the meds help a bit... so silver lining and all.

Drs have said I have avoidant personality disorder, others suspect bipolar something... they're not sure. There's no clarity on anything.
Yes currently in the process of changing over my medication. I have read that some people find that two different ones help. Can I ask what you're taking if you feel comfortable sharing?

Any suggestions on what helps as talking therapies may not be helpful for somebody with a personality disorder. I'm just really at a loss.

Are you in the process of trying to find out in terms of your disorder?

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
ive personally taken to self therapy. (who knows you better than you?)
i just dont advise this with all types of therapy, but the basics (cbt, dbt ect) are fine.

Reactions: stayedtoolong
D

d0gDaddy

Oct 24, 2023
I'm not entirely sure where you're based, but in the UK you can try medical cannabis for BPD nowadays if you've tried 2 other medications without improvement. I've found this to be the best way of managing mine, as it helps me process my emotions in a way I can't normally and aids in my sleep routine. I keep my use strictly to the evenings, so I can function normally for work during the day.

I've also been on a few trips to the Netherlands, as I found the legal Magic Truffles out there to be therapeutic. Its almost like you can break away from your personality and emotions for a few hours, and see yourself from the outside.

Besides medication, my biggest recommendation would be to travel. Everyone thinks I'm crazy for not sitting on a beach somewhere every summer, but I have no interest in being alone with my thoughts anywhere. You can travel off the beaten track a whole lot cheaper than your typical summer holiday, and I don't think there's a better way to learn to appreciate the world than seeing it for yourself. I have to remember I always have a drop in mood on my return so I keep an eye on that, and work with it as I know its coming.

It's honestly hard, but you already know that; you've just got to find something in this world to appreciate.

Voyage

Voyage

Songe à la douceur
Aug 11, 2024
ive personally taken to self therapy. (who knows you better than you?)
i just dont advise this with all types of therapy, but the basics (cbt, dbt ect) are fine.
It's hard to take to self-analysis for BPD.

BPD is particularly marked by an inability to mentalize (to understand the mental state of oneself and of others).

If there is a way to get therapy, get therapy.

CBT is good for lowering suicide attempts, but not improving quality of life or affective disturbance:
https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...ear-followup/2ADD7BF952098B0D860AB702B8164C1D

"Talk therapy" unfortunately depends on your luck with the individual therapist, but attemps to restore your ego, so to speak.

This study shows schema therapy (ST), mentalization-based therapy (MBT) and transference-focused therapy (TFP) to be the top 3 for bpd severity and reducing suicidal behaviour:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10277776/

All 3 could be considered "talk therapy", with ST possibly involving some behaviour altering techniques.

• Yay!
Reactions: Life_and_Death
stayedtoolong

stayedtoolong

September ♡
Aug 13, 2024
I'm not entirely sure where you're based, but in the UK you can try medical cannabis for BPD nowadays if you've tried 2 other medications without improvement. I've found this to be the best way of managing mine, as it helps me process my emotions in a way I can't normally and aids in my sleep routine. I keep my use strictly to the evenings, so I can function normally for work during the day.

I've also been on a few trips to the Netherlands, as I found the legal Magic Truffles out there to be therapeutic. Its almost like you can break away from your personality and emotions for a few hours, and see yourself from the outside.

Besides medication, my biggest recommendation would be to travel. Everyone thinks I'm crazy for not sitting on a beach somewhere every summer, but I have no interest in being alone with my thoughts anywhere. You can travel off the beaten track a whole lot cheaper than your typical summer holiday, and I don't think there's a better way to learn to appreciate the world than seeing it for yourself. I have to remember I always have a drop in mood on my return so I keep an eye on that, and work with it as I know its coming.

It's honestly hard, but you already know that; you've just got to find something in this world to appreciate.
How was the process of getting medical cannabis? & what form do they come in?

Travelling sounds nice. I am a shut in at the moment. Fearful of life and all the anxieties. I suppose I should work on that and see where it goes.

alltoomuch2

alltoomuch2

Experienced
Feb 10, 2024
I'm unsure of how to function on a day to day basis. The suicidal thoughts and tendencies do not make it better and the borderline makes it worse.

I truly do not know where to begin or what to do. I have been in and out of therapy for a lot of years and now I'm wondering if it would even be useful anymore? I would have to pay out of pocket if I decide to go ahead with it - but truly every therapy I have had has just been an endless cycle of me ruminating on things I believe I can not change. They've been talking therapies. Has anyone here experienced a different style of therapy (excluding mainly talking ones) that has helped them?

If therapy isn't what I need then what? Because I can not do this alone and I am all out of ideas. If you have borderline or any personality disorder or a disorder that mentally inhabilitates you, what has helped you? How do I stop the conflict I'm facing in my head in order to do anything?

I am at a loss.
Just wondering if you're including DBT as a talking therapy? Did DBT not help? I thought that was the recommended treatment for BPD.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
DBT is ranked bottom third among the therapies included in the study. Link to that study is in my reply above.
where do you get your "information"? DBT was made by someone with bpd specifically for people with bpd. (not saying its a cure all for everyone with bpd, everyone is different, but i (and others) have no reason to trust what youre saying. youre not even backing it up with anything reputable lol)

i also cant help but notice the lack of actual advice but you have no problem smashing others

Reactions: RoseGarden
Voyage

Voyage

Songe à la douceur
Aug 11, 2024
where do you get your "information"? DBT was made by someone with bpd specifically for people with bpd. (not saying its a cure all for everyone with bpd, everyone is different, but i (and others) have no reason to trust what youre saying. youre not even backing it up with anything reputable lol)

i also cant help but notice the lack of actual advice but you have no problem smashing others
My apologies, misread the paper.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10277776/

All psychotherapies aren't significantly different in efficacy. DBT is 3rd highest in drop out rates though.

I'm skeptical of all behavior-focused therapies due to their drop out rates (those dropped out people won't be counted in efficacy studies) and being based on coping skills and not psychological change or insight.

How do you delete posts here? My above posts are a bit misleading.

Reactions: Life_and_Death
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
All psychotherapies aren't significantly different in efficacy. DBT is 3rd highest in drop out rates though.

I'm skeptical of all behavior-focused therapies due to their drop out rates (those dropped out people won't be counted in efficacy studies) and being based on coping skills and not psychological change or insight.
tbf most studies outside of labs arent accurate due to things like that and anything inside labs is a clean environment, different from actual living so thats not very accurate either (just laughing at the scientists people lol)

i have to question how many of them dropped out just because of bpd. they just split and that was it. its hard to pick yourself up and go back after youve burnt bridges or even felt like youve burnt it.
How do you delete posts here? My above posts are a bit misleading.
if youre still able to delete it there should be a button at the bottom of your post (computer, should be there on mobile i think too im not sure though).
also personally id just edit it to say (inaccurate, updated) or something

Reactions: Voyage
Voyage

Voyage

Songe à la douceur
Aug 11, 2024
tbf most studies outside of labs arent accurate due to things like that and anything inside labs is a clean environment, different from actual living so thats not very accurate either (just laughing at the scientists people lol)

i have to question how many of them dropped out just because of bpd. they just split and that was it. its hard to pick yourself up and go back after youve burnt bridges or even felt like youve burnt it.

if youre still able to delete it there should be a button at the bottom of your post (computer, should be there on mobile i think too im not sure though).
also personally id just edit it to say (inaccurate, updated) or something
I saw the delete option for the newer reply (now deleted) but not the first one

Also yeah, stats suck ass for mental health shit