Ultracheese

Ultracheese

Arcanist
Dec 1, 2022
I saw that there was another book mega thread, but it hasn't been active since 2019, so I figured it'd be nice to start up another one.

I'd say I like fiction and nonfiction equally. On the fiction front, my favorite books are Pale Fire, Sabbath's Theater, and Afternoon Men, and Nabokov is probably my favorite writer ever.

I read all sorts of stuff on the nonfiction front. I recently read a really good book about Stephen Sondheim whose title I can't recall off the top of my head, and I liked Bob Dylan's new book, The Philosophy of Modern Song, where he breaks down a bunch of older songs mostly from the 50s, though I prefer his memoir Chronicles.

Hopefully, this will be a fun place for us to talk about what we've been reading, exchange recommendations, and anything in that sort of vein.

Reactions: jandek
Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
Just finished "Dress in Anglo-Saxon England". An archeological look at clothing from 6th-10th century. Very dry but informative. It's for the rpg I run so I have more non-fantasy information. Next up is "Anglo-Saxon Food & Drink", same reason and it looks to be pretty dry as well.

Reactions: Ultracheese and jandek
J

jandek

Down in a Mirror
Feb 19, 2022
I'm reading "The Shadow Book of Ji Yun"... This is a very creepy and thought-provoking collection from 18th century China. There's stories about ghosts, magic, shapeshifting, alien abductions, synchronicity, fate. Ji Yun is a thoughtful compiler. His ruminations about reality, dreams, and epistemology are as interesting as the tales.

Reactions: Rogue Proxy, Grav and Ultracheese
Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
The Shadow Book of Ji Yun
In my wish list now. So many great stories from ages past and different cultures it really makes it hard to sit through some of the horror stuff coming out in the last 10-20 years, the premises just suck.

Reactions: Ultracheese
Ultracheese

Ultracheese

Arcanist
Dec 1, 2022
I've been rereading Virgil for old time's sake. I also enjoyed Charlie Jane Anders's short story collection Even Greater Mistakes recently. It has some elements of science fiction to it, which was neat considering I don't consider myself much of a sci-fi person. It's always nice to read something outside your comfort zone that you find you enjoy.

ohyouknow

ohyouknow

Jun 11, 2022
Digging back through Gertrude Stein's Tender Buttons because it seemed to clearly be one of Gracie Leavitt's influences for her book Livingry (and perhaps previous books of hers, which I have not read). I do appreciate Stein more now that I've spent time with Leavitt.

Ultracheese

Ultracheese

Arcanist
Dec 1, 2022
Digging back through Gertrude Stein's Tender Buttons because it seemed to clearly be one of Gracie Leavitt's influences for her book Livingry (and perhaps previous books of hers, which I have not read). I do appreciate Stein more now that I've spent time with Leavitt.
I've read Stein but never heard of Gracie Leavitt's work before. May I ask what are some similarities you noticed between the two, and how reading Leavitt made you appreciate Stein more?

Hikikomori1

Hikikomori1

Experienced
Mar 27, 2023
Any manga readers on here?

Also loved reading the Star Wars EU back in high school back when it was still canon.

• Love
P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
some books (mostly graphic novels) that I have enjoyed or read a long time ago:

all of the books about PostSecret
My Favourite Thing Is Monsters by Emil Ferris
Ghost World by Daniel Clowes
Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
1001 Comics You Must Read Before You Die by Paul Gravett and Terry Gilliam