houseofleaves

houseofleaves

and this with thee remains.
Jan 14, 2022
I noticed that there is no such thread, so i decided to make one… This is not about documentary books or resources (!), it's for fiction books that are, well, kinda suited for suicidal ideation (in my/your opinion). If anyone has any books that suit this thread, please, share them 🥺 i'm really interested…

So. I'll start with Vladimir Nabokov. «Pale Fire». It's a novel that consists a poem.

This novel, as i said, consists of a 999-line poem AND a commentary to it. The poem is written by poet named John Shade; from what i could gather, Shade is killed right after finishing his piece — and then his insane friend named Charles Kinbote gains access to the poem and writes an excessive commentary to it. I could speak about this book for ages, but if you're interested, you better google and read it yourself; unfortunately, i'm really bad at explaining things.

In second part of the poem John Shade talks about his daughter Hazel's suicide. She has always been not normie-like; she was ugly, had no friends and, of course, no boyfriend; her acquaintances send her on a blind date, and the guy leaved immediately after seeing her. Hazel died that evening on her way home.

At first we'd smile and say:
«All little girls are plump» or «Jim McVey
(The family oculist) will cure that slight
Squint in no time» And later: «She'll be quite
Pretty, you know»; and trying to assuage
The swelling torment: «That's the awkward age»
«She should take riding lessons,» you would say
(Your eyes and mine not meeting). «She should play
Tennis, or badminton. Less starch, more fruit!
She may not be a beauty, but she's cute»

It was no use, no use. The prizes won
In French and history, no doubt, were fun;
At Christmas parties games were rough, no doubt,
And one shy little guest might be left out;
But let's be fair: while children of her age
Were cast as elves and fairies on the stage
That she'd helped paint for the school pantomime,
My gentle girl appeared as Mother Time,
A bent charwoman with a slop pail and broom…

• Love
Reactions: waitingforrest, Ringo, deleted and 1 other person
tryingtoescape

tryingtoescape

Experienced
Dec 30, 2019
"By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead."

Reactions: FrozenMango and houseofleaves
houseofleaves

houseofleaves

Jan 14, 2022
J. R. R. Tolkien. «The Return of the King».

Third and final volume of «The Lord of the Rings». It's unlikely that anyone needs a plot explanation. I decided to include this because of Frodo's fate: still wounded in body and spirit, he sails to the Undying Lands to find peace. Catches the ship, if you will 😉. Through his final, er, months (years?) before leaving he has some sort of episodes, where he is saying… see spoiler.

One evening Sam came into the study and found his master looking very strange. He was very pale and his eyes seemed to see things far away.
'What's the matter, Mr. Frodo?' said Sam.
'I am wounded,' he answered, 'wounded; it will never really heal.'

'But,' said Sam, and tears started in his eyes, 'I thought you were going to enjoy the Shire, too. for years and years, after all you have done.'
'So I thought too, once. But I have been too deeply hurt, Sam. I tried to save the Shire, and it has been saved, but not for me. It must often be so, Sam, when things are in danger: some one has to give them up, lose them, so that others may keep them. But you are my heir: all that I had and might have had I leave to you. And also you have Rose, and Elanor; and Frodo-lad will come, and Rosie-lass, and Merry, and Goldilocks, and Pippin; and perhaps more that I cannot see. Your hands and your wits will be needed everywhere. You will be the Mayor, of course, as long as you want to be, and the most famous gardener in history; and you will read things out of the Red Book, and keep alive the memory of the age that is gone. So that people will remember the Great Danger and so love their beloved land all the more. And that will keep you as busy and as happy as anyone can be, as long as your part of the Story goes on.

[i can recall reading this story for a first time as a child; and i remember that my heart sank for a moment when i read Frodo's words — he had conveyed my feelings so perfectly — he unterstood me like no one ever could]

houseofleaves

houseofleaves

Jan 14, 2022
Thomas Bernhard. «The Loser».

The main characters meet a young Canadian prodigy (named Glenn Gould; he was a real, very famous pianist — but the book is all fiction, this events never took place), who plays the Goldberg Variations miraculously and who, they quickly come to realize, is a greater pianist than even their teacher.

Encounter with Gould triggers the suicidal tendencies of his two colleagues; they realize that he represents an artistic ideal to which they cannot hope to aspire. It is Gould himself who, with his «ruthless and open, yet healthy American-Canadian manner» first calls one of the friends, to his face, «The Loser» (reminder: this is all fiction). And as this friend comes to see the accuracy of this epithet, he gradually loses his grip on life…

Glenn Gould was the born virtuoso in every respect, I thought, Wertheimer the failure from the very beginning who couldn't admit his own failure and all his life couldn't understand it, even though he was one of our very best piano players, as I can say without reservation, he was also the typical failure who failed, who had to fail, at his very first actual confrontation, that is with Glenn. Glenn was the genius, Wertheimer nothing but pride, I thought.

Wilting Daisy

Wilting Daisy

Loves Me, Loves Me Not
Aug 15, 2022
What Dreams May Come by Richard Matheson (Very thought provoking. Great for existential thinkers who question life after death by suicide)
Everyday by David Levithan (A beautiful, empathetic YA novel with a suicide/self harm scene and many other human struggles)
The Pact by Jodi Picoult (A page-turner that starts off with a death in the very beginning. Felt like a modern-day Romeo and Juliet)

• Love
Reactions: houseofleaves
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
I guess I'll be a Charles Bukowski stan again. Got a lot out of his books of poetry. I'm not sure I've read a more compelling account of depression, self-loathing, and self-destruction. His views on women and the way he sometimes talks about them is offensive (lots of Madonna/Whore Complex going on), but I don't think it takes away too much from his work. He was a massive misanthrope and also disliked most men.

Suicide Kid:
I went to the worst of bars
Hoping to get
Killed
But all I could do was to
Get drunk
Again
Worse, the bar patrons even
Ended up
Liking me
There I was trying to get
Pushed over the dark