Squidward

Squidward

This is as brave as I know how to be...
Apr 18, 2018
I've been getting into audio books lately, does anyone have recommendations? I'm specifically looking for fiction set in a society where suicide is offered and/or respected. Anything relevant to suicide is welcome, but I have most of the recommended academic resources on the subject.

If anyone else is looking for recommendations I just finished this short (and free!) one called "down and out in the magical kingdom" and it's set in a post-scarcity, post-death world. But you can opt out and request a lethal injection, which is the plan of one of the main characters. It also has recurring themes of mental illness and an interesting concept called "dead-heading" where you can put yourself in a timed coma for however long you want.

Fun question: If you had easy access to both suicide and dead-heading, would suicide still seem attractive to you? I personally think I'd take the lethal injection, as I don't expect to like a future world any more than this one, but sheer curiosity might change my mind if it were a real option.

Maybe suicidal people would turn it into a fun little gambling game where we predict how things will go and then dead head until one of us is proven right ;p

Or y'know, the misanthropes can just skip to the end and literally watch the world burn. ;D

Oh and this is my first thread here, so hello everyone!

Lion

Lion

Zzz
Apr 18, 2018
think id go with the dead-head thing, unless the future just got progressively worse then the injection is a sure thing

skyofAuroras

skyofAuroras

Student
Apr 10, 2018
The "dead-heading" seems interesting, but realistically I'd go for lethal injection. Going into a coma only to wake up just as depressed wouldn't work out.

Reactions: FullFat
K

Kfoe!12

the grind
Mar 21, 2018
I've been thinking about reading the web series "Worm", supposedly has a fan made audiobook as well.
Since I hope there are more like me here, but I've been re-reading some light novels (source materials for anime) lately, currently re-reading oregairu, it's a lot less edgy than and black n white than the anime.

Bonus meme: Goddamnit, I was thinking about doing this thread since this kind of hobby threads have kind of been my thing.

Squidward

Squidward

Apr 18, 2018
just looked it up, that worm series sounds good! I'll have to find the audio book later, thanks!

Bonus meme: Goddamnit, I was thinking about doing this thread since this kind of hobby threads have kind of been my thing.

Hehe sorry, didn't mean to steal your thunder but I did follow your lead. These discussion topics are fun. We should do a podcast thread next!

K

Kfoe!12

the grind
Mar 21, 2018
Hehe sorry, didn't mean to steal your thunder but I did follow your lead. These discussion topics are fun. We should do a podcast thread next![/QUOTE]
Oh god, I used to listen to so many podcasts, I've been waiting to find a new podcast series to follow. It's pretty hard for me to find one fitting for me since I really don't have many hobbies, though I have been into computer science lately...
Go ahead and make the podcast thread, It really isn't my forte, looking forward to some recommendations.

S

septembersunrose

Apr 19, 2018
Dead-heading for sure. My biggest problem right now is that I can deal with my own death, but I'm worried about some friends I care about, I don't want them to become self-destructive, or to blame mutual friends who were dicks to me. Coma is great. 1) I don't actually die but get a time-out, 2) I can have an interesting new experience. Totally worth the risk of being trapped in my body for a while - I would start with a short test-run. (Of course, if people who woke up tell me it's not good, bring me the lethals.)

Not a suicide thing, but I'm very picky about audiobooks. James Marsters nailed the Dresden files; if you want something not-suicidal, his readings are good. (Well, compared to for example the woman that made me feel like a demented grandma tried to read me a story about teens after strapping me into the bed. I'll lurk here in case someone has good suggestions.)

Reactions: Squidward
Squidward

Squidward

Apr 18, 2018
Just started a new one called "long way down." (Apparently they made it into a movie, so maybe I'm just out of touch here)

Basically 4 strangers end up on the same rooftop, intending to kill themselves on new years eve. Someone described it as a suicidal "breakfast club", which is what originally piqued my interest.

I've only gotten through the first part and expect the ending to be some Pollyanna bullshit, but am enjoying the ride so far anyways.

Kinda makes me want to spend holiday nights on a rooftop with beer and a pizza. I wouldn't want anyone taking the leap on an empty stomach and maybe I could keep them company on the way down. ;p

FullFat

FullFat

^best order at Micky-D's ever
Apr 27, 2018
You've probably already been exposed to it, but GoT/ASoIaF has the Faceless Men cult of assassins. They off anybody who asks for the poison water they have.

As for the dead-head idea, it sounds nice, but it wouldn't be helpful to me at the moment. Need to be around for family. It's more like I need a brain swap from the body snatchers. Need some malevolent alien force to snatch my body. They'd have to be a pretty stupid alien hivemind to take my body, but I wouldn't complain.

Squidward

Squidward

Apr 18, 2018
You've probably already been exposed to it, but GoT/ASoIaF has the Faceless Men cult of assassins. They off anybody who asks for the poison water they have.

As for the dead-head idea, it sounds nice, but it wouldn't be helpful to me at the moment. Need to be around for family. It's more like I need a brain swap from the body snatchers. Need some malevolent alien force to snatch my body. They'd have to be a pretty stupid alien hivemind to take my body, but I wouldn't complain.

I have not, GoT seems like a big universe to jump into and I haven't gotten around to it yet. I don't have the attention span for the show, but eventually plan on listening to the books.

I hear you about the family thing. Being sucked into a hive mind does sound kinda nice, lol. So long as my individual thoughts and such get drowned out by the collective.

FullFat

FullFat

^best order at Micky-D's ever
Apr 27, 2018
I have not, GoT seems like a big universe to jump into and I haven't gotten around to it yet. I don't have the attention span for the show, but eventually plan on listening to the books.

I hear you about the family thing. Being sucked into a hive mind does sound kinda nice, lol. So long as my individual thoughts and such get drowned out by the collective.

The show is actually easier to get into than the books, imo. The character and subplot bloat is real, and the showrunners have trimmed a lot, especially in the later books. I always keep my phone handy to lookup stuff on the wikis or reddit while reading the books or watching the show. It's a bit easier if you're willing to do the DVDs/blu-rays of the show. They have special features you can turn on where every character on the screen is listed and you can see their allegiances. That's how I started.

I can definitely see why it would be daunting though. It's a long book series. I usually don't have the commitment to read novels, but I loved the show, so I bit the bullet. You could also check out fanfiction to dip your toes in.

Reactions: Squidward
W

Wheelofdawn

Apr 14, 2018
Yeah often will search for fanfictions and such on these subjects...besides my own interest in CTB, for some reason I also get a enjoyment out of seeing characters I love suffer...I am fucked up...