Mendex

Mendex

The Sleep of reason produces monsters
Jan 9, 2021
What if death is nothing but sound....electrical noise….you hear it for the eternity…sound all around…, repeating as near as always was.
718987.gif

Think about that. Death: now called as black noice. A metaphor for the substance of nothingness.

However we wish to describe it, death casts a large black shadow on us. It covers human beings but not animals - because animals are not afraid of death. Get rid of that shadow,

Is this who really I am?

Reactions: profoundexperience, thouisdead, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 3 others
killedbypsychiatry

killedbypsychiatry

drugging kids is abuse
Jan 27, 2021
You need a functional brain to process sound, without it, it's very likely you won't hear a thing

Reactions: Élégie, Umbreon, thouisdead and 4 others
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
If that's death I will get bored way too fast lol.
Also, I might go crazy for real. I mean, if that's somehow possible without a brain haha.

I prefer the simulation or "death is just like the time before we were born" theories.

Reactions: moths and Joey
Imaginos

Imaginos

Full-time layabout
Apr 7, 2018
If death isn't like a dreamless sleep of complete non-existence, it'll be a neverending nightmare. Any notions of heaven one could conjure up would eventually turn into hell given enough time.

Reactions: Gabby78, Élégie, wait.what and 8 others
Tarod

Tarod

Mar 2, 2021
Yes that's who really you are, nothingness that becomes something and vice-versa, but you don't remember the becoming process.

Reactions: wait.what
LiesAndLigatures

LiesAndLigatures

Please kill me. Please? PLEASE!
Nov 8, 2020
If death isn't like a dreamless sleep of complete non-existence, it'll be a neverending nightmare. Any notions of heaven one could conjure up would eventually turn into hell given enough time.
I would really enjoy something like "The Good Place". Paradise while you want it, and then just walk through a door to return to nothingness.

• Yay!
Reactions: wait.what, moths and lofticries
lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021
I'm pretty sure if god wanted to he could make you feel like each day is a new day in heaven for all eternity. Which in a way is frightening but hey you won't even realize it.

What if death is like that fortnite black hole.

Reactions: moths
Revered

Revered

Mar 6, 2021
Theory: when you die you're "instantly" reborn
(For simplicity's sake let's ignore the theory of a multiverse)
If time/reality is infinite then the Infinite monkey theorem should take effect - meaning you'll exist forever and ever. In an infinite amount of time the universe (or reality) might entropically die and then reform an unimaginable amount of times until it comes into existence again exactly, or near exactly, in the same configuration that it currently exists in. Everything will play out in exactly the same way, or perhaps even slightly altered and for the better (butterfly effect). In other words, with time being relative to the observer, instead of 14 billion years passing unbeknownst to you a quadrilliontrillionbillion years might pass after your death but you'll "instantly" be reborn into a newly and nearly identically formed universe far, far into the future.

• Wow
Reactions: Peaceisnear, moths, lofticries and 2 others
Tarod

Tarod

Mar 2, 2021
There are many theories, for all we actually know any of them might be accurate but some just make more sense than others. Believe what you will.
I like stories like the one on this yt video which propose a sort of "human imagination" based theories.

Last edited:
Imaginos

Imaginos

Full-time layabout
Apr 7, 2018
Paradise while you want it, and then just walk through a door to return to nothingness.

Fair enough. I suppose that wouldn't be so bad, assuming it was true non-existence. For me though, I'd rather just skip to the non-existence. My desire for a final ending to what I am is more potent for me, versus any small yearning for paradise I might still have. Unless this hypothetical paradise could disable ennui/anhedonia then you'd fast find those pleasures bleed out into nothingness and dissatisfaction.

Which in a way is frightening but hey you won't even realize it.

To each his own, but personally I wouldn't want this. I'd much rather have total non-existence be the outcome, instead of some endless loop of being, pleasurable though it may be.

Last edited:
StringPuppet

StringPuppet

Lost
Oct 5, 2020
It sounds scary but I think we'd become desensitized to the noise eventually.

LiesAndLigatures

LiesAndLigatures

Please kill me. Please? PLEASE!
Nov 8, 2020
Fair enough. I suppose that wouldn't be so bad, assuming it was true non-existence. For me though, I'd rather just skip to the non-existence. My desire for a final ending to what I am is more potent for me, versus any small yearning for paradise I might still have. Unless this hypothetical paradise could disable ennui/anhedonia then you'd fast find those pleasures bleed out into nothingness and dissatisfaction.
I wouldn't consider a place paradise unless it was able to block those negative things. Any place where my PTSD and MDD still effects me, is far from paradise. My greatest wish would be for death to allow me to try everything I want, and actually enjoy it with no memories of my traumatic life events. Then, I can not exist when I decide I have done everything that satisfies me.

I believe that we skip straight to non-existance though. Maybe some hallucinations with skewed time before our brains die, but not an actual dimension of afterlife.

Reactions: wait.what, lofticries, Imaginos and 1 other person

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
Also, I might go crazy for real. I mean, if that's somehow possible without a brain haha.
But what then? It's like waking up after dreaming of dying, or being scared by something spooky.

I had a couple of dreams where I'm dying and feel the urge to wake up, but then: "Wait... what then?"
I actually had an imagery of black noise after "dying". Both in sound and in sight.

GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
This whole thing could be bypassed by realizing that the "you" is created by the brain. Sure, consciousness might be received by the brain instead of produced by it, but the identifying, recalling and labelling seems like an obvious brain-thing. Oh noes, I'm assooooming again :pfff:

d1d.jpg

• Yay!
Reactions: virginiawoolf, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Mendex and 3 others
grungeCat

grungeCat

Awkward & weird
Jul 5, 2020
Sounds better than my existing life anyway

Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
So according to the "Black Noise" theory death is a permanent ASMR video? It does not sound as bad as some of the alternatives, such as eternal damnation, but it would probably get boring after a while.

Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
I like your spooky theories. Please don't hesitate to post more.

• Yay!
Reactions: virginiawoolf
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
But what then? It's like waking up after dreaming of dying, or being scared by something spooky.

I had a couple of dreams where I'm dying and feel the urge to wake up, but then: "Wait... what then?"
I actually had an imagery of black noise after "dying". Both in sound and in sight.

Well, I think in order to experience sound, sight, waking up, dreaming, etc you need a brain so, unless there's actually something like souls or we're in a simulation, there will probably be just eternal nothingness. Just like the time before we were born. We won't realize because we won't exist.

Reactions: BluesRunTheGame and yeahwellso
Y

yeahwellso

Student
Dec 5, 2020
This isn't a "theory of death". It's just a random piece of idle speculation. "What if you experience this one specific sensation after you die?" Yeah, wow, there's no reason to consider it.

It's just a very unremarkable trillionth restatement of "What if you experience stimuli after death?" Considering that you don't experience stimuli during something as mundane as the deep sleep phase every night, it's bizarre to think that you'd do so after your brain has physically ceased to exist.

People who suffer serious brain damage can completely change personalities and their sense of themselves. They essentially become a different person with no memory of who and how they used to be. If there's such a thing as a soul, it has nothing to do with the individual's subjective experience of life. Who cares what the soul might think of a buzzing TV for all eternity? That soul isn't you in any way you can conceptualise.

E

enuff

had enuff
Sep 10, 2020
What if death is nothing but sound....electrical noise….you hear it for the eternity…sound all around…, repeating as near as always was.
718987.gif

Think about that. Death: now called as black noice. A metaphor for the substance of nothingness.

However we wish to describe it, death casts a large black shadow on us. It covers human beings but not animals - because animals are not afraid of death. Get rid of that shadow,

Is this who really I am?
oh yes i'd like to trade my tinnitus for that electrical noise.
sounds soothing compared to the blaring fire trucks in my ears.
yes and i'd pay the ultimate price for it too.

thouisdead

thouisdead

unpredictable, but it suits reality.
Feb 15, 2020
Have you ever had a mystical experience of eternity? I thought that till I dreamt of some kind of paradise that showed me a lot of concepts I didn't understood. Now eternity sounds plausible. (This heaven is not Christianity's heaven, I don't believe God)

A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
Huh? There is as much logic to this theory as death is the sound of running water for all eternity, the smell of oranges, the sensation of being tickled, or the color green.

Reactions: yeahwellso and wait.what
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
Huh? There is as much logic to this theory as death is the sound of running water for all eternity, the smell of oranges, the sensation of being tickled, or the color green.
Nothing suggests that afterlife follows the same logic as life does.

Reactions: GenesAndEnvironment
A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
If the afterlife doesn't follow the same logic as the existing universe, you have literally listed one of an infinite number of options (I listed several others). This would then mean you have an infinitely small chance of your theory being correct, making this thread ridiculous and pointless, which it is.

Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
If the afterlife doesn't follow the same logic as the existing universe, you have literally listed one of an infinite number of options (I listed several others). This would then mean you have an infinitely small chance of your theory being correct, making this thread ridiculous and pointless, which it is.
You overrate the importance of being correct.