allym101

allym101

Ally
May 29, 2020
I'm going to start some birth control pretty soon and I was wondering if any of you have negative experiences mood wise. I've read that depression is a huge side effect and I'm a little scared because I honestly don't know if my mindset could get much worse than it already it.

• Hugs
Reactions: Caspers
nigelhernandez

nigelhernandez

Experienced
Apr 14, 2020
Birth control to control periods or to prevent pregnancy %?

Throwmyselfaway

Throwmyselfaway

Not gone yet but soon
Jan 14, 2020
I did the shots for a year before I had my tubes blocked. I hated it. My mental state was all over the place

Reactions: allym101
PointlessStruggle

PointlessStruggle

Wretch
Oct 28, 2020
Before we fell out a female friend of mine took it for acne prevention or something back in HS. She was chronically miserable, not sure if it was a side effect of the BC though

G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
It effects each person differently. My system can't handle the progesterone, it makes me grumpy and really depressed.

• Love
Reactions: MindFrog and allym101
D

death becomes her

Jul 3, 2020
There are a lot of online forums that discuss in length the affects of birth control ranging from mild depression to suicide. I experienced this myself. Now I don't trust anything that's run by big pharma!

I recommend an IUD 100% instead :)

Reactions: LittleJem
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
I've been on the patch for 5yrs. (mostly because all the other methods fucked with my anxiety (total no ways) and remembering to take a pill everyday isn't a me thing since I don't really have a short term memory any more.) I personally haven't really noticed anything.

Caspers

Caspers

Lost
Jun 23, 2020
I'm not certain. I've had the arm implant to control periods (thank goodness they're gone) and I already felt crap before I got it, but I am wondering whether it is adding to my miserableness. Tbh as I already feel crap, I don't know whether it's not done anything for my mood, or is slowing my chance of recovery

L

LostSoul101

Student
Nov 7, 2020
Doesn't your birth control come with a label to read? I wouldn't use one if it didn't come with a label to read what the side effects are. Side effects vary depending on which birth control pills or method you use.

allym101

allym101

Ally
May 29, 2020
Doesn't your birth control come with a label to read? I wouldn't use one if it didn't come with a label to read what the side effects are. Side effects vary depending on which birth control pills or method you use.
Yes it does come with a warning but it can vary drastically from person to person which is why i'm concerned

Seiniar

Seiniar

Nov 2, 2020
I can't tell exactly. I started taking the pill before antidepressant and didn't feel anything weird. After taking antidepressant my libido lowered a lot but then I realized it was actually because of the relationship I was in. With my last boyfriend my libido was fine. I didn't gain any weight either. My boobs grew bigger but that was a pro for me xD I am depressed as fuck but I can no longer tell if it's me, antidepressant, birth control pill (mostly unlikely)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Gnip
stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
I was on the pill for 8 years and it had literally no side-effects on me. But after I stopped everything got worse...my skin, my hair, my period, my mood even. So beware from potentially having "reverse" side-effects when stopping it. But all in all it's highly dependent on the person.

Last edited:
Deleted member 19654

Deleted member 19654

Working towards recovery.
Jul 9, 2020
It affects everyone differently. I started on birth control about a week ago. The only side effects I experienced were a bit of nausea for the first couple of days. I normally get quite moody and I'm more emotional when I'm on my period but my mood seems to have improved. However, that could be because I'm now taking antidepressants too.

If you notice bad side effects, contact your doctor and see if you can switch to something else.

Deleted member 23009

Deleted member 23009

a flame dancing in the rain
Oct 20, 2020
Where I live almost everyone is on the pill, it's more common to be on it than not. But as stated above, it affects each person individually. I'd say from what I've seen that for a vast majority it has no big side effects and in some cases it can affect you a lot individually. So I'd say it's fine to try it for you but if it's a huge change in your mental pattern you might want to reconsider. It's usually always okay though, hopefully it works out for you! :hug:

• Hugs
Reactions: botanormal
S

SilverLining

Dec 19, 2019
I'm going to start some birth control pretty soon and I was wondering if any of you have negative experiences mood wise. I've read that depression is a huge side effect and I'm a little scared because I honestly don't know if my mindset could get much worse than it already it.
when i was on birth control a good while back my mood got soooo bad. i think i attempted ctb twice in a week and sh a lot more than normal. it really affected my mood, but people i know on it say it ahs hardly affected them at all so idk

k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
I recommend you look into something like Mirena. There's a much lower hormone dose than pills so it doesn't affect your mood so much, and it has the bonus of stopping your period (for a lot of people, anyway). It also lasts and extremely long time. I never regretted getting it. Pills really screwed with me, and I had trouble remembering to take them.

S

Steven88

Nov 25, 2020
it increases your estrogen which makes you mad easily and more emotional

kappa

kappa

Experienced
Apr 2, 2019
Everyone is different. I take the pill, have always taken the pill, never noticed anything. Some people gain weight, or have mood effects.

I take it to skip all of my periods. I'm a lot happier not having periods and happier with less anxiety not having to call in sick once a month.
it increases your estrogen which makes you mad easily and more emotional
My birth control isn't why I'm mad.