H

hiddenbpd

✌🏼
Oct 19, 2022
Kay, I'm not sure if I'm the only one experiencing this, but I thought I'd share in case it could help someone. I had been on birth control for 14 years, very shortly after my first period. For about the same amount of time, I've been considering suicide and dealing with extremely low mood. I came close to ending it last year. I was on and off a couple of psychiatric meds, seeing multiple doctors and professionals, and no one suggested I try coming off of birth control. It was a decision I had to make on my own, but am I ever glad I did. I now feel like an entirely different person. Perhaps it's coincidence since it's only been 2 months, but I'm feeling pleasure again for the first time in years, it looks like life might be beautiful afterall.
Not sure why birth control is viewed as a "harmless" medication when it clearly disrupted my entire life, and I'm sure many other people's.
Obviously I don't want people taking this as medical advice (because it isn't), but I'm just saying if the alternative is suicide like it was for me, what's the harm in trying to eliminate a possible contributor. If doctor's won't listen to you, consider making the choice for yourself. Afterall, the decision to take your life is much more permanent.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: lachrymost, ctbsurvivor<3, hungry_ghost and 15 others
jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
Nice one, well done!

Reactions: hiddenbpd
valkyrie

valkyrie

Feb 11, 2023
It's crazy that people go on birth control which can have such bad side effects when they can use condoms
I'm glad you feel better

Reactions: mafuyu, Deo volente, FrozenMango and 1 other person
R

Regen

I stay in my power
Aug 20, 2020
I saw similar effects on my friends daughter. And no doctor recognized it... It was pure luck she changes her birth control medication.

Reactions: LittleJem and hiddenbpd
H

hiddenbpd

✌🏼
Oct 19, 2022
It's crazy that people go on birth control which can have such bad side effects when they can use condoms
I'm glad you feel better
Absolutely. If only I was educated about the possible side effects, I could've made a more informed decision and stopped it years and years ago. (even online the side effects listed regarding mental health are so vague, that even with the concrete evidence I have, doctors likely won't believe that it's connected).

Reactions: lachrymost
leeloosnow

leeloosnow

Warlock
Aug 28, 2022
Kay, I'm not sure if I'm the only one experiencing this, but I thought I'd share in case it could help someone. I had been on birth control for 14 years, very shortly after my first period. For about the same amount of time, I've been considering suicide and dealing with extremely low mood. I came close to ending it last year. I was on and off a couple of psychiatric meds, seeing multiple doctors and professionals, and no one suggested I try coming off of birth control. It was a decision I had to make on my own, but am I ever glad I did. I now feel like an entirely different person. Perhaps it's coincidence since it's only been 2 months, but I'm feeling pleasure again for the first time in years, it looks like life might be beautiful afterall.
Not sure why birth control is viewed as a "harmless" medication when it clearly disrupted my entire life, and I'm sure many other people's.
Obviously I don't want people taking this as medical advice (because it isn't), but I'm just saying if the alternative is suicide like it was for me, what's the harm in trying to eliminate a possible contributor. If doctor's won't listen to you, consider making the choice for yourself. Afterall, the decision to take your life is much more permanent.
i did not physically react to birth control medication very well either. decided to fly hans solo then got my tubes tied as young as they'd let me (27)

L

lionetta12

Just a random person
Aug 5, 2022
I stopped using birth control for one and a half months at the end of 2022 in hopes that it could help my depression improve, but it sadly didn't change my mood or anything in my life, so now I started taking it again 3 days ago.

thx1138

thx1138

Student
Jun 28, 2019
Good for you, I hope more women see this!
I had a similar experience, except I had always been depressed, even without birth control, but when I started taking it, my symptoms got 100x worse, so I recognized it as the cause and stopped it.

Reactions: leeloosnow and hiddenbpd
H

hiddenbpd

✌🏼
Oct 19, 2022
I stopped using birth control for one and a half months at the end of 2022 in hopes that it could help my depression improve, but it sadly didn't change my mood or anything in my life, so now I started taking it again 3 days ago.
It won't fix everyone's difficulties for sure. My research suggests it can take 4-6months for your hormones to return to normal depending on the person, so it's possible it wasn't long enough to make a difference. Again, I'm not saying that's the case, but I always give myself at least 3 months to adjust to changes unless it's absolutely terrible.

Reactions: lionetta12
codedarchaeologist

codedarchaeologist

everybody ends up where the river meets the sea
Jan 21, 2023
I'm glad you feel better
It's not just used for contraception. For people with very heavy or painful periods, PMS, or period dysphoria, using birth control to skip your period can be helpful. It can also get rid of stuff like acne (while also making acne worse for others).

Reactions: JealousOfTheElderly
L

lionetta12

Just a random person
Aug 5, 2022
It won't fix everyone's difficulties for sure. My research suggests it can take 4-6months for your hormones to return to normal depending on the person, so it's possible it wasn't long enough to make a difference. Again, I'm not saying that's the case, but I always give myself at least 3 months to adjust to changes unless it's absolutely terrible.
I was depressed and suicidal long before I started on any birth control so I don't think it would have changed much for me anyway, but it was worth the try to rule it out and to discuss it with my doctors.

Venus13

Venus13

Experienced
Oct 2, 2022
Birth control is so much more harmful than people think. Of course some people have little problems, but my body has always been sensitive to things. I have some busted dna.

I never wanted to be on hormonal birth control because of its side effect. I was only on it for a month and my body hated the type I chose.

I chose the copper IUD instead and within 12 months my mental health started to fray worse than ever. It accumulated from daily panic attacks that were oddly physical, to a change in thoughts/personality, to finally full blown intense psychosis for the first time in my life. The panic attacks were felt deep in my chest. My heart would flutter so bad and this feeling of impending doom was always over me. I'm shaky and weaker than ever before in my life. My hair started falling out too towards the end. I had it in for 3 years and got it yanked out last week. I finally get to find out if that was a contributing factor. I never theorized that might be it until recently. I just assumed my ptsd was escalating in strength. The possibility came to mind and after some research I got it out immediately. A lot of women report mental health decline with even the nonhormonal option and no one takes it seriously. I couldn't overcome the panic attacks and psychosis no matter what, so if that fades I'll know for sure that copper iud fucked with me.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: hiddenbpd and whatevs
H

hiddenbpd

✌🏼
Oct 19, 2022
Birth control is so much more harmful than people think. Of course some people have little problems, but my body has always been sensitive to things. I have some busted dna.

I never wanted to be on hormonal birth control because of its side effect. I was only on it for a month and my body hated the type I chose.

I chose the copper IUD instead and within 12 months my mental health started to fray worse than ever. It accumulated from daily panic attacks that were oddly physical, to a change in thoughts/personality, to finally full blown intense psychosis for the first time in my life. The panic attacks were felt deep in my chest. My heart would flutter so bad and this feeling of impending doom was always over me. I'm shaky and weaker than ever before in my life. My hair started falling out too towards the end. I had it in for 3 years and got it yanked out last week. I finally get to find out if that was a contributing factor. I never theorized that might be it until recently. I just assumed my ptsd was escalating in strength. The possibility came to mind and after some research I got it out immediately. A lot of women report mental health decline with even the nonhormonal option and no one takes it seriously. I couldn't overcome the panic attacks and psychosis no matter what, so if that fades I'll know for sure that copper iud fucked with me.
Wow, I'm so sorry, that sounds terrible. Despite it being nonhormonal it still interferes with the way your body is naturally supposed to be, and that can't possibly cause zero side effects. I really hope it's the change you need to reduce your symptoms. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you 🤞🏼. You deserve a break.

• Love
Reactions: Venus13
fell

fell

bpd, cptsd, bipolar 2, trying lots of things 💞
Feb 4, 2023
Getting off birth control also changed my life for the better 🙌🏼 I thought I was anxious my entire life. Turns out it was birth control from 14-27. As soon as I got off it, anxiety I had my whole life went away in a few months. I still have a bunch of other issues 😂 but at least there's not that!

Reactions: leeloosnow, Venus13 and hiddenbpd
Ashu

Ashu

novelist, sanskritist, Canadian living in India
Nov 13, 2021
Perhaps it's coincidence since it's only been 2 months, but I'm feeling pleasure again for the first time in years, it looks like life might be beautiful afterall.
Pleasure in sex and life in general?

gentleflower

gentleflower

Student
Jun 6, 2019
I was on birth control from age 12 to 28. The side effects were more or less alright. I got it not for the contraceptive effect but because of so many problems with my period. I was off it for two years until my period got unbearable again. My moods actually got way worse without it. I've been on another one now for two months again and thankfully it works well for me.

• Hugs
Reactions: leeloosnow
TransMagical

TransMagical

Volo ergo sum
Feb 10, 2023
I'm glad you feel better
Even better then condoms;

Be trans, do hormones.

No more eggs or sperm, problem solved.
/hj

(bad attempt to make a trans joke bc they funni and i trans)

• Love
Reactions: Hopeliss and noaccount
N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
Even better then condoms;

Be trans, do hormones.

No more eggs or sperm, problem solved.
/hj

(bad attempt to make a trans joke bc they funni and i trans)
It is tragic that even here we are not safe from people defending psychiatric violence and abuse - and that HiddenBPD continues to maintain that, while she was working in a psych ward, she was fully justified in torturing and violating people by restraining them and forcing drugs into their bodies without their consent.

T

throwawayyy

Jun 21, 2022
It is tragic that even here we are not safe from people defending psychiatric violence and abuse - and that HiddenBPD continues to maintain that, while she was working in a psych ward, she was fully justified in torturing and violating people by restraining them and forcing drugs into their bodies without their consent.
Where are you getting this information from?

N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
There was a thread now-deleted in which she wrote it out explicitly, and then sent me DMs to the same effect.

H

hiddenbpd

✌🏼
Oct 19, 2022
Where are you getting this information from?
Noaccount has been harassing me for months now despite me not engaging and not even being on the forum in a month, take what they say however you wish, but they're exaggerating if you care to know the truth (watch for their reaction to this post 😉🍿)

Reactions: throwawayyy
TransMagical

TransMagical

Volo ergo sum
Feb 10, 2023
I didny mean it to condone what happend.

I just use humor to lighten moods and cope snd just make myself feel better aswell as others. Sorry if it came off as rude

• Hugs
Reactions: hiddenbpd and leeloosnow
N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
Here are some of the words straight from the torturer's mouth. These were uninvited, harassing DM's she sent me because I dared to post survivor testimony of - and UN CRPD condemnation of - the kind of assault she has done to detained disabled people.
The original thread was deleted but was to the same effect.

Torturers out of SaSu and off the face of the earth.

Myforevercharlie

Myforevercharlie

Global Mod
Feb 13, 2020
Here are some of the words straight from the torturer's mouth. These were uninvited, harassing DM's she sent me because I dared to post survivor testimony of - and UN CRPD condemnation of - the kind of assault she has done to detained disabled people.
View attachment 105070

View attachment 105071
If you are being harassed/ bullied report them.
Noaccount has been harassing me for months now despite me not engaging and not even being on the forum in a month, take what they say however you wish, but they're exaggerating if you care to know the truth (watch for their reaction to this post 😉🍿)
It you feel that way, why don't you report them?

H

hiddenbpd

✌🏼
Oct 19, 2022
If you are being harassed/ bullied report them.

It you feel that way, why don't you report them?
They've already been reported; a couple of times. It changed nothing.
View attachment 105070

View attachment 105071
I don't understand what you're getting from this since I've been ignoring you for months, but I hope it makes you happy.

cristaleyez

cristaleyez

xe/they/it
Feb 21, 2023
I didn't even consider this. My only problem is that off of birth control my periods are basically disabling. I wonder if there's a natural way to have my periods be less heavy and painful.

ctbsurvivor<3

ctbsurvivor<3

Audhd Chronic Pain Robot
Feb 28, 2023
I think anyone experiencing debilitating depression to the point of planning to ctb should absolutely try switching up their medications first. As much as we like to otherwise ignore, even the most innocuous meds can have severely differing effects in different people. It would suck for someone to leave prematurely when the chance for stability and even happiness is right around the corner.

milkandcoffee

milkandcoffee

Aug 8, 2022
I had my arm implant taken out two months ago after seven years or something like that. 90% of my suicidality has vanished since. I'm still depressed/anxious/the whole lot, but I don't think of suicide nearly as often. I knew it was worsening a problem I already had, but I had no idea it was that drastic. I was tolerating it because I wasn't getting a period lol. I'm having a tough time lately, but suicidal ideation is no longer my go-to coping method. Also doing some EMDR that may play into it as well. Idk

ChiseHatori

ChiseHatori

Mar 2, 2023
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I have awful periods, some of the worst. I have been begged to go on BC many, many times by guardians, doctors, friends, etc. The one and only time I was forced to go on it I had a period for a straight month and also got more depressed. Obviously I can't go on it again, especially now because of how bad my mental and physical health has gotten. I hate BC so much, I'm glad it works for some people, but it is absolutely appalling the way they push that shit and barely explain the side effects.

Reactions: lachrymost and hiddenbpd