• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Azzy69

Azzy69

-
Aug 8, 2019
Diagnosed bipolar 1 disorder after years of symptoms.
I was wondering if anybody else recognises triggers in order to stop the onset of mania.
For me lack of sleep plays a big factor, which is my case at the moment. I am starting to display signs that I am about to enter a manic episode, and I don't know if I can stop it. I have cut down on coffee so far. My manic episodes generally last anywhere from a week to a month. I have so much energy right now I got up early to clean the house and I have been cooking all morning. My mind is racing with thoughts. I honestly do not want to go through this again. Last manic episode lasted 2 months and I was almost hospitalized.

• Hugs
Reactions: wasteofspace22, Moonicide, TheDevilsAngel and 4 others
K

kiko

Sep 10, 2019
Yeah my last manic episode was also two months until i coule re enter society. Maybe if you are catching it early it might be good to see a psychiatrist?

My plan if im able to catch the next episode to avoid hospitalisation is to call psych, get lithium levels tested, short term antipsychotic and increase my seroquel to encourage more sleep and rest or to just knock me.out for a couple of weeks, then im just going to try stay home.for a long period.

Im worried about mania coming on because i really want to remain in the mindframe because its the only time i feel "good" .

• Hugs
Reactions: wasteofspace22, Little Mook and Azzy69
Azzy69

Azzy69

-
Aug 8, 2019
Yeah my last manic episode was also two months until i coule re enter society. Maybe if you are catching it early it might be good to see a psychiatrist?

My plan if im able to catch the next episode to avoid hospitalisation is to call psych, get lithium levels tested, short term antipsychotic and increase my seroquel to encourage more sleep and rest or to just knock me.out for a couple of weeks, then im just going to try stay home.for a long period.

Im worried about mania coming on because i really want to remain in the mindframe because its the only time i feel "good" .
Unfortunately my next psych appointment is not until late January. I think i am doomed

Reactions: wasteofspace22
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I'm bipolar and I'm actually writing a book on the topic of bipolar disorder, so I'd say that I've read up well. There are some triggers for mania: sleep depravation, shift work, antidepressant medicines, stimulants like cocain, and so on. However, in most cases there are no discernable triggers. It "just happens". Instead, you have to learn to recognize the signs that you are about to have a manic episode. These signs seem to be individual to a high degree, so you have to figure out yourself what they are or ask people close to you.

• Hugs
Reactions: wasteofspace22, Moonicide, puppy9 and 1 other person
Moonicide

Moonicide

ᴘʜᴀꜱᴇꜱ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏᴏɴ
Nov 19, 2019
I'm Bipolar 2. So I only deal with light hypomania, and I'm mainly stuck in the depressive phase. I remember reading that Bipolar 2 people are more in danger of committing suicide due to our severe depressive episodes. I'm barely hypomanic these days due to my mood stabilizer, but my depression is very much persistent and hasn't left me. I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder along with Bipolar 2, which just makes it even worse. Along with PTSD / Anxiety, and Agoraphobia. Hypomania for me is very fleeting and when I do feel it, it gives me this jolt of energy I enjoy until I become so irritable. Without medication I had been up 3 days before seeing my first psychiatrist... What causes flare ups for me is stress and not sleeping properly. As well as being triggered by certain events.

Reactions: wasteofspace22, Azzy69 and Sensei
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I'm Bipolar 2. So I only deal with light hypomania, and I'm mainly stuck in the depressive phase. I remember reading that Bipolar 2 people are more in danger of committing suicide due to our severe depressive episodes. I'm barely hypomanic these days due to my mood stabilizer, but my depression is very much persistent and hasn't left me. I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder along with Bipolar 2, which just makes it even worse. Along with PTSD / Anxiety, and Agoraphobia. Hypomania for me is very fleeting and when I do feel it, it gives me this jolt of energy I enjoy until I become so irritable. Without medication I had been up 3 days before seeing my first psychiatrist... What causes flare ups for me is stress and not sleeping properly. As well as being triggered by certain events.

Moonicide, I'm in a similar situation. I'm bipolar II and have many depressive episodes and few hypomanic. Depressingly, the ratio between hypomanic and depressive episodes can be as extreme as 1:40. I don't know my ratio but I certainly hope it's not that bad. It's true that bipolar II has a higher suicide rate than bipolar I, yet some people still call bipolar II "bipolar disorder light". There's nothing light about suicide. As for hypomania, it's something through and through positive for me. In fact, I enjoy it so much that I consciously have tried to trigger it, despite the risks, but it has unfortunately always failed. When I have hypomania I feel I'm a better me or even the real me. I wouldn't mind if the rest of my life was one long hypomanic episode.

• Hugs
Reactions: wasteofspace22, Azzy69 and Moonicide
Moonicide

Moonicide

ᴘʜᴀꜱᴇꜱ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏᴏɴ
Nov 19, 2019
Moonicide, I'm in a similar situation. I'm bipolar II and have many depressive episodes and few hypomanic. Depressingly, the ratio between hypomanic and depressive episodes can be as extreme as 1:40. I don't know my ratio but I certainly hope it's not that bad. It's true that bipolar II has a higher suicide rate than bipolar I, yet some people still call bipolar II "bipolar disorder light". There's nothing light about suicide. As for hypomania, it's something through and through positive for me. In fact, I enjoy it so much that I consciously have tried to trigger it, despite the risks, but it has unfortunately always failed. When I have hypomania I feel I'm a better me or even the real me. I wouldn't mind if the rest of my life was one long hypomanic episode.

That's very true with me as well when I'm hypomanic. I feel more me when I am hypo, but I eventually start crashing. First sign is irritability, which sucks. Because I am not good company when that's happening.

• Hugs
Reactions: Azzy69 and Sensei
K

kiko

Sep 10, 2019
Unfortunately my next psych appointment is not until late January. I think i am doomed

oh wow thats miles away In my countrys public mental health services they assign a psych nurse to each out patients sector and you can call and have chat with her and she will inform the consultant. Im guessing you are somewhere with expensive mental health care.

• Love
Reactions: Sensei and Azzy69
Azzy69

Azzy69

-
Aug 8, 2019
oh wow thats miles away In my countrys public mental health services they assign a psych nurse to each out patients sector and you can call and have chat with her and she will inform the consultant. Im guessing you are somewhere with expensive mental health care.
I'm from Australia, I guess you could say it is expensive !! the wait list is months here - especially in public health system

Reactions: wasteofspace22