P

polarbear

attention seeking bi-polar
Oct 11, 2020
I had an online appointment with a doctor who is suppose to be the best psychiatrist in my country,first thing i told him is that i have bi-polar disorder,he seemed pissed he asked how do you know you have bi-polar by searching internet? Then i told.him about my conditions and he said you dont have bi-polar disorder but personality disorder and gave me Quetiapine ,which is used for bi-polar and schizophrenia..i feel like i couldnt explain my situation well enough...have any of you guys had any experience with this drug,what should i expect to happen,if i take it

N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
Ok, so it's seroquel, which is a tranquilizer...

You know yourself best. You have the right to apply whatever diagnoses/descriptors you want to your psychological struggles. Doctors are full of shit if they say otherwise. If you're experiencing mania that's distressing you, it's a tranquilizer so it could help with that. If you're needing help with depression more, it might not help so much.

I don't know how much you've been through the run-around with psychs before. Basically, be prepared for them to have way different ideas of what "healthy" looks like than what you actually want and need. Things you're going through that are hurting you, they might brush off and ignore. Experiences that you're okay with having, they might consider "sick." So you might just have to yes-man your way through and bullshit/sweet-talk them until you're out the door. If you're not taking something as prescribed, or taking any non-prescribed drugs, generally best not to tell them. Do yr homework looking up drug interactions - doctors unfortunately don't always check about counter-indicated drug combinations.

Seroquel/quetiapine can work okay as a PRN (meaning just taking it on occasion / as needed, to calm down or get a good night's sleep, rather than every day.) If you ARE taking it every day and then stop abruptly, withdrawal can be pretty harsh - that's what the harm reduction guide for tapering off is for.

Reactions: polarbear