Oct 8, 2018
what would be the best? i don't know anything about ropes

Reactions: Lifeisatrap and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
dysfunctional

dysfunctional

Arcanist
Oct 26, 2018
Don't know what your budget is, but seems like you'd need something strong. Any static climbing line or tree climbing rope would work. Some arborist supply companies sell custom lengths of rope so you wouldn't have to buy a full hundred feet.

Reactions: Lifeisatrap, lv-gras and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Lra888

Lra888

Enlightened
Sep 30, 2018
I purchased a nylon rope from Home Depot. Nylon is soft & smooth but also very strong - you can purchase rope that can hold many hundreds of pounds. (pretty cheap too). For drop hanging you need a rope that holds much more than your weight because it needs to hold you plus the energy of the drop without snapping.

Reactions: BurningLights, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, AndyCurious and 2 others
Empty Smile

Empty Smile

The final Bell has rung. Goodbye to all.
Jul 13, 2018
I got 8mm climbing rope that I was going to use, but now I've kind of reverted back to CO.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Motherfly

Motherfly

Student
Oct 24, 2018
Either manilla or hemp, nothing else. These two are the least elastic. And you want it 1/2" or 1" thick. If you want to break your neck, around 8 or 9 foot drop should do.

Look up judicial hanging.

T

TiredHorse

Enlightened
Nov 1, 2018
For drop hanging, I (as a rock climber) strongly recommend a 10mm or 11mm static rope. Arborist rope would do the job well --you can find a source on a web search. Speaking as a rigger of tall ships, manilla and hemp would work, but the low Becker value grades of manilla commonly available do not have comparable strength and good hemp can be difficult to source.

If you intend a noose to slip, you can lubricate the rope with any number of substances. I once read an article about a hangman in India (current era) who swore by bananas...

S

spicyfriedtofu

Idiot
Jun 10, 2018
You need to know what your goal with a drop hanging is. It's assumed that a (calculated) long drop hanging will provide enough force to the neck that the cervical spine will break, effectively resulting in an almost instant death. The length of drop, body weight and type of ligature used are all (extremely) important considerations in a long drop type of hanging, because too short a drop will only inflict more pain than necessary, and too long a drop can partly or fully decapitate the body, making it more gruesome than necessary.

When it comes to suicide, I can't think of any reason for decapitation being considered a failure. If you go for a long drop, you would then just set the drop to an extreme and use a ligature that is thin, strong and has low stretch. If breaking the neck or decapitating your body is not your goal, what would be the benefits of having a drop? In partial or full suspension, your body weight should be heavy enough to close a ligature that is not too unwisely chosen, and essentially strangulate you.