LunarPyotr

LunarPyotr

Похорони меня возле МКАДа
Jul 4, 2020
Hi,
does someone have any idea where I could effectively and for free improve my Polish skills?
I'm currently going to an driving school to get a drivers license under my new name and I sometimes find it hard to fill out some paperwork, without taking out my phone and launching Google Translate in Camera/Live Translate mode.

I don't have any phone yet but I might get one from polish Ebay-like platform next week. It'll definetly be one with Android since I prefer running my phones on AOSP firmware :P

Reactions: Hemlock
Weary Soul

Weary Soul

Soon I will be free
Nov 13, 2019
You could try Duolingo - it has a free version online and I have heard good things about it. Never really used it myself so I don't know how good it is, but it might help?

Reactions: Hemlock and LunarPyotr
LunarPyotr

LunarPyotr

Jul 4, 2020
You could try Duolingo - it has a free version online and I have heard good things about it. Never really used it myself so I don't know how good it is, but it might help?
I heard to that but I remember that you had to pay 3.99$ after doing 2-3 lessons so I never used it again. Might check that out on an throwaway account

L

Life sucks

Visionary
Apr 18, 2018
I heard to that but I remember that you had to pay 3.99$ after doing 2-3 lessons so I never used it again. Might check that out on an throwaway account

Duolingo is free, it just has ads and a gem system. You don't have to pay anything at all. There are many languages and you can definitely improve your skills with it.

Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, Hemlock and LunarPyotr
littlelungs

littlelungs

Wizard
Oct 21, 2018
I'd have to echo what was said above: Duolingo is a great free resource for learning both vocabulary and grammar, in my opinion. If you want to get rid of ads or jump ahead to new levels then you'd have to pay for Duolingo plus, but if you're not terribly bothered by (skippable) ads at the end of a lesson and whatnot then Duolingo is very good. I'm learning Czech on Duolingo and it's been nothing but useful. :) I also really like the cute little green owl, haha.

For vocabulary and fixed phrases, I'd recommend an app like Memrise. Once your vocabulary starts to get a little more advanced, Anki is a great resource. There are pre-made flashcard decks for a ton of different languages, and you can make your own decks as well.

Also, you'd be amazed as to what you can find on YouTube when it comes to language learning – if you need help with a certain grammar concept, for example, a lot of times all you have to do is look it up and you'll find at least a few videos explaining it. YouTube is also great for listening comprehension in your target language, and just hearing how the language is spoken by native speakers, in terms of stress, rhythm, etc. I like to watch documentaries, so when I feel reasonably comfortable with a language, I'll watch a documentary in that language, and whenever I hear a word or expression that I'm unfamiliar with, I jot it down and add it to my personalized Anki deck.

When it comes to practicing speaking and writing, an app like Tandem is pretty good. With that app, you can connect with native speakers of your target language and exchange messages in that language (where they will correct any mistakes you've made). You can also send voice messages and do live voice/video calls with people, too, if that's your thing.

This is all just coming from someone who's learned quite a few languages and been around the block a few times. This is my simplified version, but I hope it's of some help to you. :)

Reactions: Hemlock, zi99 and LunarPyotr
LunarPyotr

LunarPyotr

Jul 4, 2020
I'd have to echo what was said above: Duolingo is a great free resource for learning both vocabulary and grammar, in my opinion. If you want to get rid of ads or jump ahead to new levels then you'd have to pay for Duolingo plus, but if you're not terribly bothered by (skippable) ads at the end of a lesson and whatnot then Duolingo is very good. I'm learning Czech on Duolingo and it's been nothing but useful. :) I also really like the cute little green owl, haha.

For vocabulary and fixed phrases, I'd recommend an app like Memrise. Once your vocabulary starts to get a little more advanced, Anki is a great resource. There are pre-made flashcard decks for a ton of different languages, and you can make your own decks as well.

Also, you'd be amazed as to what you can find on YouTube when it comes to language learning – if you need help with a certain grammar concept, for example, a lot of times all you have to do is look it up and you'll find at least a few videos explaining it. YouTube is also great for listening comprehension in your target language, and just hearing how the language is spoken by native speakers, in terms of stress, rhythm, etc. I like to watch documentaries, so when I feel reasonably comfortable with a language, I'll watch a documentary in that language, and whenever I hear a word or expression that I'm unfamiliar with, I jot it down and add it to my personalized Anki deck.

When it comes to practicing speaking and writing, an app like Tandem is pretty good. With that app, you can connect with native speakers of your target language and exchange messages in that language (where they will correct any mistakes you've made). You can also send voice messages and do live voice/video calls with people, too, if that's your thing.

This is all just coming from someone who's learned quite a few languages and been around the block a few times. This is my simplified version, but I hope it's of some help to you. :)
Yeah, I actually don't mind the ads as long as those aren't some fullscreen ads with 10 seconds timer : P
Luckily I have an DiY WiFi router/Multimedia Streaming station which is an Raspberry Pi 4 and an LTE+ USB dongle and I have something called PiHole (info) on it that helps me blocking advertisements without running any additional apps on my other device :ahhha:
So, I can block such annoying ads on Android, iOS or on any other device if I need to

Reactions: Hemlock, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and GenesAndEnvironment
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Yeah, I actually don't mind the ads as long as those aren't some fullscreen ads with 10 seconds timer : P
Luckily I have an DiY WiFi router/Multimedia Streaming station which is an Raspberry Pi 4 and an LTE+ USB dongle and I have something called PiHole (info) on it that helps me blocking advertisements without running any additional apps on my other device :ahhha:
So, I can block such annoying ads on Android, iOS or on any other device if I need to
Always impressed by your tech skills.

Reactions: Hemlock, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 2 others
Kattt

Kattt

Ancient of Mu-Mu
May 18, 2021
Only way to actually be understood Is go to the country

LunarPyotr

LunarPyotr

Jul 4, 2020
Only way to actually be understood Is go to the country
I'm actually in that country and my language skills are 7/10 but sometimes I can't find the right word for certain things

Reactions: Hemlock and Fehler
All Things Must Pass

All Things Must Pass

Mage
Apr 14, 2021

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
There is a website called Anki that has loads of language learning flashcards. I used Japanese decks that incorporated vocabulary, grammar, and kanji from the JLPT exams as well as the Genki and Tobira textbooks.

I guarentee that most Polish language learning books will have an accompanying Anki deck that someone has made.

Fehler

Fehler

Oct 12, 2020
I'm actually in that country and my language skills are 7/10 but sometimes I can't find the right word for certain things
That's the best if you want to perfect it! I believe that speaking or listening with native speakers is one of the best ways to improve it, whether in lexicon or fluency when speaking it.
It will also cost more or less depending on the language, some have "set phrases/sayings" that enrich your speech and are learned over time but have meanings different from the context, wich makes them harder to remember.

Reactions: Hemlock and WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
LunarPyotr

LunarPyotr

Jul 4, 2020
That's the best if you want to perfect it! I believe that speaking or listening with native speakers is one of the best ways to improve it, whether in lexicon or fluency when speaking it.
It will also cost more or less depending on the language, some have "set phrases/sayings" that enrich your speech and are learned over time but have meanings different from the context, wich makes them harder to remember.
Yeah
After all I have to cover the truth and it doesn't make sense if I have a Polish ID and Polish name but speak Polish like not flulently : P

Today I'll go to my local SIM provider and sign a contract which contains a 230gb data plan and an Poco X3 Pro that is actually an modern phone but has all the amazing features that the old phones had (3.5mm audio jack, MicroSD Card slot, non-curved display and an fingerprint reader that isn't integrated into the display)

As soon as I get it, I'll go ahead and see if that Duolingo app is free or just free for a couple of lessons.

Reactions: Hemlock and Fehler
CFLoser

CFLoser

I fcking hate myself
Dec 5, 2018
This is what I have used on and off and I am a high level in Japanese.

LunarPyotr

LunarPyotr

Jul 4, 2020
Tried Duolingo for a while now and it's definitely now a free app with some micro-transactions which doesn't mean that you actually have to pay

I

irememberinnocence

Student
Jun 10, 2020
I wish I knew the answer to this. I used to use Duolingo for Spanish but the gem system sucks now. Anyway I'm planning to be dead before I'd be able to get fluent unfortunately but in the meantime just wanted to vent about Duolingo going down the toilet through monetisation. I did have fun learning with it previously and whenever I met Spanish speakers I'd practice on them and get a few laughs. I've tried Babel too but that makes you skip important grammar lessons if you don't pay.

TheHatedOne

TheHatedOne

Death is salvation
Sep 26, 2021
There are free apps like Duolingo and Memrise(this one in particular helped me learn words as I struggle to learn words the most in a language) and even Drops but that one is limited as a free user but nevertheless has an engaging interface and helped me to learn words too.

However I learnt that the best way to learn a language is to exercise it by talking with natives and/or people who are learning the same language. I used to be awful in English and school didn't help me much, what helped me became fluent was talking with people, mostly in games. At first I abused Google Translate, but as I learnt more and more, I didn't need it anymore. And this is how I became fluent. By having conversations daily in that language with others.

However, it may be difficult to find others when you are trying to learn a rare language. But, there are many spaces on the internet and apps dedicated to meeting people to practice a language with. I know there are some subreddits dedicated to that, but I forgot their names.

Also, listen to a lot of music and watch series in that language. I learnt German words from constantly listening to German music and some Turkish words from watching soap operas.

WrongPlaceWrongTime

WrongPlaceWrongTime

Better never to have been
Jul 4, 2021
I use Duolingo, though being unable to practice due to making too many mistakes and running out of hearts is annoying.

Reactions: uselesswaste