yesyesandalive

yesyesandalive

Apr 21, 2024
this has definitely been asked several times before, but i havent been able to find any good information on it, at least easily. id appreciate someone spending the time to respond, either way.

basically: im wondering what the chances of lethality are at more than 25 meters, whether it's meaningful to try to have a technique to the jump (trying to position oneself to hit head-first, if possible), and whether it's a good idea to jump from a tall building in the first place, since the lack of information about it on this site seems to imply otherwise.

Evelyn Lane

Evelyn Lane

banned
Aug 2, 2024
The survivability of jumping from height is pretty much always higher than zero.

You have to hit head-first to make it painless. Problem is, it's hard to guarantee that you hit the ground head-first, since you kind of lose control over your body once you start falling.

Definitely not my method of choice.

Reactions: rosepanda, _AllCatsAreGrey_ and SoulWhisperer
N

noname1982

Sep 12, 2024
I am also considering jumping. It's very complicated finding a good surface to fall on. If you jump from the 30th floor, how far would you travel horizontally ? 5-10 meters at most or possibly more ?

Reactions: Otto
_AllCatsAreGrey_

_AllCatsAreGrey_

(they/he)
Mar 4, 2024
I consider jumping. There are so many factors. Even in cases when people ultimately succeed, sometimes it's not immediate. Adding height greatly increases probability of success.

205057 1000000126 1

Reactions: Defenestration
S

samusaranvie

Sep 8, 2024
Personally, I like the idea of jumping into water more than jumping onto solid ground. There's a lot of upsides to it, little to no risk of hurting other people, no one has to clean up anything, and there's a chance your body won't be found. Also, in case you don't die on impact for some reason, you'll probably die via other means (drowning, hypothermia, etc). Not pleasant, but odds are you'll be unconscious anyway.

You just have to make sure you reach a certain speed by being up high enough, I think landing head first guarantees going unconscious due to the trauma your brain will experience, and that the water is relatively calm, as in no big waves to sort of cushion the impact.

That said, I'm no expert I'm just looking into it myself. I think you can make it easy to fall on your head by not jumping but instead sort of dropping/diving. You don't want your body to start rotating from momentum you might get from jumping.

That said, there's always a chance that something goes wrong and you somehow survive. In which case you're in for a hell of a recovery, because you will breaks bones, organs will get rattled/punctured, and who knows what else.

I think this can be mitigated by doing a little research and looking into the science of it all, as well as into how it is that people survive falling into water from high up so that you know what not to do.

Reactions: Life'sA6itch and _AllCatsAreGrey_
Defenestration

Defenestration

I want to have the courage to defenestrate myself
Oct 25, 2020
25 m IS not hight...
Search higher...more or 50 m.

Reactions: ladylazarus4 and Life'sA6itch
S

SVEN

Enlightened
Apr 3, 2023
There is a bridge in Scotland known locally as "Rainbow Bridge" because of the number of suicides who jumped from it over the years. It's 45 metres high over the Clyde.
I've never heard, read or known of anyone who survived a leap from it into the water. Needless to say, a few years ago CCTV and 12 foot high wire mesh barriers were installed to deter jumpers.

Davey40210

Davey40210

Even the stars make room for new stars
Sep 3, 2024
I read that over 9 floors is lethal. But I agree with the other commenters that there is still a chance you survive. Even people jumping out of airplanes survived (when parachutes didn't open). So it's not a method I would use. In my case I decided that hanging offers the highest probability of success and the lowest amount of suffering.