Plato'sCaveDweller

Plato'sCaveDweller

Sleep is good, death is better.
Sep 2, 2024
I'm preparing for a possible failure with SN, even though my chances are very, very low (given I will not call EMS under any circumstance, nor will I be found early - the main causes of failure). It's probably unnecessary to prepare for such a possibility, but it'll give me peace of mind to know I've got a second opportunity at this should something go wrong.

I've got 100g of SN in the vacuum seal bag in which it arrived, and I plan on using only half of it (2 glasses) for my attempt. I will then have half of it leftover for a second attempt should things go awry the first time around. But I have no way to store that leftover SN currently. I was told to look into getting mylar bags, but it's seems you need a specific vacuum seal device in order to use them, and those go for like $150 - $600 from what I've seen. I then looked into airtight food storage containers, but I am not sure if they'll suffice for something as sensitive as SN. I then looked for standalone vacuum seal containers, but the cheap ones don't seal things properly or break easily upon use according to reviews.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what might work here. Will food storage containers work just fine? Or will I need to shell out a decent bit of money for something proper? What would be recommended here?

Plato'sCaveDweller

Plato'sCaveDweller

Sep 2, 2024
I say "generic-ish" food vacuum sealing devices can be had pretty cheap nowadays. Also, Maybe a bottle or jar with an airtight seal along with a dessicant thrown in for good measure???????

Take a look at this, too:

https://www.amazon.com/Tightvac-Air...=se&keywords=vacuum+jar&qid=1727222147&sr=8-8
that Tightvac was one of the ones I was looking at. It looked promising and the price was appealing. But some of the reviews mention it doesn't create a true vacuum seal, which I worry will affect the long term stability of the SN.

But you think something like a mason jar with a few silica packets thrown in might do the job? Afaik, air doesn't affect the SN but rather the moisture in it, so it sounds like that'll work in theory. I'll have to see what anyone else suggests before making any purchases though. I live in a very humid climate so I have to make sure that it'll work.

locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
that Tightvac was one of the ones I was looking at. It looked promising and the price was appealing. But some of the reviews mention it doesn't create a true vacuum seal, which I worry will affect the long term stability of the SN.

But you think something like a mason jar with a few silica packets thrown in might do the job? Afaik, air doesn't affect the SN but rather the moisture in it, so it sounds like that'll work in theory. I'll have to see what anyone else suggests before making any purchases though. I live in a very humid climate so I have to make sure that it'll work.
Sorry, I didn' read the reviews on it. Well, for a Mason jar, how you going to get the air out? Dessicant is good for moisture, but not really air. That's sort of the reason I tacked on the amazon link. Maybe there's a better one of those? Or, maybe, some of the reviewers are inept? Do any of the reviews indicate it works? Honestly, I like the vacuum sealer idea best

Reactions: Plato'sCaveDweller
Plato'sCaveDweller

Plato'sCaveDweller

Sep 2, 2024
Sorry, I didn' read the reviews on it.
That's alright, no worries.
Well, for a Mason jar, how you going to get the air out? Dessicant is good for moisture, but not really air. That's sort of the reason I tacked on the amazon link. Maybe there's a better one of those? Or, maybe, some of the reviewers are inept? Do any of the reviews indicate it works? Honestly, I like the vacuum sealer idea best
That is true. But isn't exposure to air okay for SN as long as there's no moisture? Or do I have a misunderstanding on the matter? And yeah, the reviewers certainly could be inept, so it'd sort of be a coin toss as to whether it actually works or not. I'll try to read some more of the reviews to see if it's simply a matter of a few faulty containers, or an actual flaw in the design. The vacuum sealer does seem like it'd be the ideal way to store it, if it works.

schrei_nach_liebe

schrei_nach_liebe

Experienced
Jul 6, 2023
Air and moisture affect the SN, the more of both the more effect you have potentiated by higher temperature. It's easy to get both desiccants and oxygen absorber packets, and combine that with a vacuum. Not many people can get a perfect vacuum at home, but you can get pretty close, like 97% close. Combine those 3 factors and you're going to get what you need, and it's inexpensive.

• Informative
Plato'sCaveDweller

Plato'sCaveDweller

Sep 2, 2024
Air and moisture affect the SN, the more of both the more effect you have potentiated by higher temperature. It's easy to get both desiccants and oxygen absorber packets, and combine that with a vacuum. Not many people can get a perfect vacuum at home, but you can get pretty close, like 97% close. Combine those 3 factors and you're going to get what you need, and it's inexpensive.
Thank you for correcting me.

I'll definitely get both moisture and oxygen absorbers. But do you have any ideas as to how I may go about creating that vacuum inexpensively? I'm looking around amazon for some better and slightly more expensive vacuum seal containers such as this one: AirScape Glass Food Storage Canister - Patented Airtight Lid. Do you think something like this would create a good enough vacuum?

schrei_nach_liebe

schrei_nach_liebe

Experienced
Jul 6, 2023
Thank you for correcting me.

I'll definitely get both moisture and oxygen absorbers. But do you have any ideas as to how I may go about creating that vacuum inexpensively? I'm looking around amazon for some better and slightly more expensive vacuum seal containers such as this one: AirScape Glass Food Storage Canister - Patented Airtight Lid. Do you think something like this would create a good enough vacuum?
I would not recommend what you linked, that's only displacing extra space, akin to flattening out a zip lock bag before you seal it, it doesn't introduce any vacuum at all.

Something more along the lines of this…

Or an actual vacuum sealer with film, but that's more expensive. It's hard to tell how well of a job they do at the vacuum part of the equation too, but I think they've been around so long most of them are good enough.
Oh, you could test the vacuum by filling the jar like a third of the way with room temperature water and see if it will make it boil when you introduce the vacuum. It can take a while to create a vacuum.

• Informative
Plato'sCaveDweller

Plato'sCaveDweller

Sep 2, 2024
I would not recommend what you linked, that's only displacing extra space, akin to flattening out a zip lock bag before you seal it, it doesn't introduce any vacuum at all.
Got it. Thank you for warning me off. I have no knowledge about this whole vacuum seal thing so I don't know what to look for exactly.
Something more along the lines of this…
This looks good! And it's affordable too. Thank you.
Oh, you could test the vacuum by filling the jar like a third of the way with room temperature water and see if it will make it boil when you introduce the vacuum. It can take a while to create a vacuum.
That's a really smart idea, I'll have to try this when I get the vacuum sealer. I appreciate the tip.

Reactions: schrei_nach_liebe