D

doneforlife

Arcanist
Jul 18, 2023
How many of you have faith/ belief in soul? In case you believe that soul can exist on it's own and float around, why do you think it keeps hopping into bodies ? Considering the complexity of this body and the pain it can impose ? I mean , if there is hell and heaven which soul can experience without a body , why at all pass through bodies??

• Love
Reactions: deathsisarelief, iloveloving, Praestat_Mori and 2 others
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
I don't believe in souls. I think that it's just as irrational as believing in religion. That said, I don't mind people who believe in souls as at least they don't force their beliefs upon others

Reactions: landslide2, pthnrdnojvsc, deathsisarelief and 1 other person
D

doneforlife

Arcanist
Jul 18, 2023
I don't believe in souls. I think that it's just as irrational as believing in religion. That said, I don't mind people who believe in souls as at least they don't force their beliefs upon others
Great ! How did you bypass this belief? Growing up, everyone is taught that there is a soul . It's another level of indoctrination. I am unable to overcome it.

• Aww..
Reactions: ijustwishtodie and kkamasal
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
Great ! How did you bypass this belief? Growing up, everyone is taught that there is a soul . It's another level of indoctrination. I am unable to overcome it.
I don't have a specific answer or way I bypassed the belief. I think that it all just boils down to critical thinking. My parents were religious and taught me religion but, as I aged, I started to realise that religion is made by humans for humans rather than being made by a god for humans. I don't really know what causes me to have more critical thinking than others to where I managed to escape religious indoctrination but I don't think that it's linked to intelligence as even smart people believe in a religion or a soul.

Also, not everybody gets taught the belief that there is a soul. Some people have atheist parents who don't believe in a religion or a soul. I think that they're truly lucky as I see religion as a burden on me and extra unnecessary baggage rather than something useful and insightful

Reactions: deathsisarelief
SoulWhisperer

SoulWhisperer

Careless Soul « MtF »
Nov 13, 2023
Despite my name I actually believe that I am a brain controlling a physical body, but I don't have any evidence of that. Either that or I "am" my entire body. It's hard for me to define what makes me "me" physically.

Edit: But I do use soul for metaphors, philosophy and similar.

Reactions: landslide2 and doneforlife
D

doneforlife

Arcanist
Jul 18, 2023
I don't have a specific answer or way I bypassed the belief. I think that it all just boils down to critical thinking. My parents were religious and taught me religion but, as I aged, I started to realise that religion is made by humans for humans rather than being made by a god for humans. I don't really know what causes me to have more critical thinking than others to where I managed to escape religious indoctrination but I don't think that it's linked to intelligence as even smart people believe in a religion or a soul.

Also, not everybody gets taught the belief that there is a soul. Some people have atheist parents who don't believe in a religion or a soul. I think that they're truly lucky as I see religion as a burden on me and extra unnecessary baggage rather than something useful and insightful
That's understandable! I have known atheists that started having faith in religion. I guess it boils down to the mystery of consciousness. As long as we can't explain, how it sprung up , we need to rely on God. I mean, a bunch of amino acids and boom ... there's life .. consciousness...self awareness...crazy stuff !!
Despite my name I actually believe that I am a brain controlling a physical body, but I don't have any evidence of that. Either that or I "am" my entire body. It's hard for me to define what makes me "me" physically.

Edit: But I do use soul for metaphors, philosophy and similar.
In spiritualism it is believed that we have body , soul and mind. Body is the vehicle...like say a car. Soul is the passenger. Mind is the driver. The senses are the windows to the external world. Mind has to steer clear of vices ( greed , lust , anger , adultery) in order to make the soul reach it's destination ..which is God's abode .

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SoulWhisperer and ijustwishtodie
Holu

Holu

Hypomania go brrr
Apr 5, 2023
I don't believe in soul in the traditional sense that it physically or spiritually exists, or that it carries on following death.

I do however believe soul exists in the form of identity. To me it's a culmination of morals, beliefs, and perspectives that we have on our surroundings, and so in that regard it's very much alive in how we interact with the world. Its our essence, not in spirit, but in identity, and though its not eternal in spirit, be it little or large it is in impact.

Also this is my 666 post lmao, the irony of this idea aligning with LeVeyan Satanism is not lost on me.

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: landslide2, iloveloving, doneforlife and 1 other person
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I have doubts about it. I only like the idea in terms of a more romanticised view- soul mates. Seeing loved ones again after death, stuff like that. Seems more poetic than real though to be honest.

Some people believe we actually choose our lives pre-birth. But- why we would have been conned into this?!! I can't really fathom it. Unless it was a con of course. Glossy holiday magazines or something and a pushy life rep.

Still, being more antinatilist, all that kind of thing annoys me. I don't feel like I'm here because I chose to come here or, because some mystery spirit sent me here. I'm here because my parents wanted children.

If it's true though, the only other reasons I can think of are that the waiting area is utterly awful or, utterly boring. Maybe we decide that experiencing something would be better than experiencing nothing for billions of years.

Or, this is all a learning experience. We have a bunch of stuff we need to learn and experience- either individually or as part of some greater being. What we're supposed to be working towards though defies my comprehension. The fact that most of us don't remember past lives seems kind of self defeating too. We can't learn from past life mistakes if we don't remember them!

Maybe once we are in that state between death and rebirth, we remember it all. As much as I doubt the whole thing, it would be just typical if, when we die, we are given some lame performance review by some either very enthusiastic middle managememt angel or, one that hates their job.

Reactions: landslide2, doneforlife and Holu
D

doneforlife

Arcanist
Jul 18, 2023
I have doubts about it. I only like the idea in terms of a more romanticised view- soul mates. Seeing loved ones again after death, stuff like that. Seems more poetic than real though to be honest.

Some people believe we actually choose our lives pre-birth. But- why we would have been conned into this?!! I can't really fathom it. Unless it was a con of course. Glossy holiday magazines or something and a pushy life rep.

Still, being more antinatilist, all that kind of thing annoys me. I don't feel like I'm here because I chose to come here or, because some mystery spirit sent me here. I'm here because my parents wanted children.

If it's true though, the only other reasons I can think of are that the waiting area is utterly awful or, utterly boring. Maybe we decide that experiencing something would be better than experiencing nothing for billions of years.

Or, this is all a learning experience. We have a bunch of stuff we need to learn and experience- either individually or as part of some greater being. What we're supposed to be working towards though defies my comprehension. The fact that most of us don't remember past lives seems kind of self defeating too. We can't learn from past life mistakes if we don't remember them!

Maybe once we are in that state between death and rebirth, we remember it all. As much as I doubt the whole thing, it would be just typical if, when we die, we are given some lame performance review by some either very enthusiastic middle managememt angel or, one that hates their job.
What's waiting area ? The irony is that even though there are so many different religions, almost every religion has the concept of soul .

Reactions: Forever Sleep
pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Extreme Pain is much worse than people know
Aug 12, 2019
I agree it's massive indoctrination. I don't believe there is a soul.

How did i bypass this belief? Reading books. If you read books on the brain , neuroscience, cell biology , evolution. you will see how everything fits together and how a human just evolved from a single cell as did all life and how a human is just a brain .

83% of Americans believe in a soul. I don't and never will :

I will never believe in a soul or any kind of religion, god , afterlife , reincarnation , magic , ghosts, computer simulation etc. : for one thing there is not even a single piece of evidence for any of that. however thousands of pages of books that show evidence for evolution, that humans are composed of cells, that the brain generates all thinking. and some of these things for example from Brain science can be tested, cross refrenced , cross reasoned to see that it's the truth.

Last edited:
Reactions: landslide2, Darkover and doneforlife
D

doneforlife

Arcanist
Jul 18, 2023
I agree it's massive indoctrination. I don't believe there is a soul.

How did i bypass this belief? Reading books. If you read books on the brain , neuroscience, cell biology , evolution. you will see how everything fits together and how a human just evolved from a single cell as did all life and how a human is just a brain .

83% of Americans believe in a soul. I don't and never will :

I will never believe in a soul or any kind of religion, god , afterlife , reincarnation , magic , ghosts, computer simulation etc. : for one thing there is not even a single piece of evidence for any of that. however thousands of pages of books that show evidence for evolution, that humans are composed of cells, that the brain generates all thinking. and some of these things for example from Brain science can be tested, cross refrenced , cross reasoned to see that its the truth.
Thanks for the links. I shall go through it. Why do you think life happened in the very first place? All these describe the "how" things work part. But why at all life happened? I find it very hard to digest that everything got aligned just to give way to life. The physics, chemistry, biology all work in sync to do what ??.. sustain life. It amazes me and confuses me ..

C

CantDoIt

Mage
Jul 18, 2024
I believe in a consciousness that survives death in some way, but not in heaven or hell as we know it. The universe itself is mindlike and incarnates as humans because in its true form it is limitless and unable to experience limit. The phrase "can God create a rock too big for him to push", and the answer being "yes," makes sense here as well.

In this case, the soul is a piece of the divine that incarnates because it wants to. This piece is not the same after death and does not adhere to the same flaws and feelings of dissatisfaction as it did in life.

Reactions: doneforlife
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
What's waiting area ? The irony is that even though there are so many different religions, almost every religion has the concept of soul .

Whatever there is between dying and being born again- for those who believe in reincarnation. Didn't know what else to call it really asides from a kind of waiting area.

I wonder if that's because certain concepts in religion influence other religions. Maybe not if they all generated independently, continents away from one another. But, whether or not they are based on something factually known about, all religions are surely just stories passed down through generations.

Besides- with reference to a soul- what is this original source? Did someone actually have proof of one at some point? Why can't we replicate that proof today? Approximately 150,000 people die every single day. You'd have thought a few more would have been detected by now. And again- what's the source? Someone claiming to be a prophet and telling a good tale?

Still, I do see what you mean. It's weird when similarities turn up in very different cultures. It could point to it being true I suppose.

Reactions: doneforlife