PeacefulDreams

PeacefulDreams

Going down hill again.
Aug 16, 2022
Ever since I started going to school, people always considered me incredibly talented and put me on this weird, unattainable pedestal to always be the best in every scenario academically. Now, over a decade later, that pedestal has pushed and pulled me so badly that now I am only good at anything academic, and even that is starting to crumble.

I should have known I was worthless from the start.

• Hugs
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, foreverfalling, Tmbass and 2 others
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
I had something pretty similar- a lot of academic success and no real caring at homje, the mental and emotional abuse was so bad, and this made it alsmot impossible to develop social skills and make friends. This culimnated in me being offered a full collegeg scholarship, incluing room and board, and my parnets screaming and swearinbg at me like crazy that I couldn't have it- I would have needed them to drive me to school, I couldn't do it without them, so I lost the scholarship- when you have parents like this it is better if you're just not born.

FadeOut

FadeOut

Aug 9, 2022
Hey, my story is a bit similar. I've been lead to believe that I should accomplish this and that because I'm intelligent or talented. I guess I internalised this and my expectations of myself are always too high. I pushed myself too far and into mental illness. I'm never really satisfied with myself cause I can't accept being "good enough".

Believe me, I know how hard it is to change your mindset about this, but you are not worthless. You don't have to be the best. You are enough.

• Hugs
Reactions: Suicidebydeath
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
The key reason academics went well for me is because the rules were clear for what to do to be successful. Socially, if you don't get at least some normal socializing at home, you don't know what to do, and you end up getting rejected and bullied. People think you're smart, you should know what to do socially, and this is not true, because people think you'[re smart because you get good grades, but you are given books to study so you have a chance. Kids are not taught basic social skills in school- how to introduce yourself, how to carry on a conversation, how to make friends, so if you literally learn none of this at home you are in serious trouble.

• Aww..
Reactions: Lonelyhotcake
Fadeawaaaay

Fadeawaaaay

Visionary
Nov 12, 2021
I had a taste of this attending elite schools but I ended up gaslighting myself, not realizing how smart and talented people are everywhere - and they're often willing to work much harder and with greater focus… Education represents an opportunity but, if not fully exploited, is overrated …

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, akana and Someone123