Xocoyotziin

Xocoyotziin

Scorpion
Sep 5, 2020
Hello
So I'm staying in a tent at a nice little campground at the moment
This is my first time "properly" camping alone, and I've made a few mistakes
Like not bringing a flashlight aside from my phone and bringing fewer utensils than I should have
Things have been going smoothly enough and I've improvised a bit

I was cozying up and getting ready to sleep after streaming some netflix when I realized something: I have a cooler full of food sitting next to me, thankfully with no meat which I figure is most enticing. And then I thought of bears. The first thing I did like a true noob was jump on google to hopefully assuage my fears but that did not work when I read basically everywhere that storing food in your tent is a well known camping no-no and that I'm an idiot for not thinking of it earlier. I have no car to relocate it to so instead of sleeping I'm going to sit on this picnic bench and chain smoke all night, which I'm not sure you're allowed to do, because even if it's statistically unlikely I'd rather not be ambushed in my sleep.

I had earlier been thinking for unrelated reasons about how I've never been in a serious physical conflict, I'm a mega wuss and I've failed every test to assert dominance I've been presented with, especially with dogs, who can smell my wuss pheromones and almost universally hate me.

I read about people who somehow scared off bear invaders but I am 90% sure if it happened to me I'd be mauled to death after a split second where they'd measure me up as the non-threat I am, without a chance to explain myself and why killing me is unnecessary. This, to me, is very different from the careful, measured, and merciful death I could give myself.
Though it's the primary and often only means of communicating with animals, this "instinctive arena" bleeds into human relationships a lot as well.

How can someone like me overcome their inability to fight in such a way, without exposing themselves to potentially dangerous situations? It seems to me like it's a lot of grandstanding and signalling strength you may or may not really have to deceive your opponent into believing you have no fear. My instinctive modality, on the other hand, is to either remain stonedfaced and slip away as soon as possible or admit my fear and run like hell because I assume they can sense it anyway because who the hell wouldn't be scared in this situation?

Does anyone else have the same problem of being a hardcoded wuss who just can't override their flight reflexes, and hates conflict whenever it involves real stakes? Did you learn to overcome it, hopefully by choice? And are any of you naturally very capable of scaring off a bear who may be multiple times your strength and size? If so, what is it like and what's your thought process?

I apologize if this is long or disorganized.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, GrumpyFrog, Kassender and 3 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Does anyone else have the same problem of being a hardcoded wuss who just can't override their flight reflexes, and hates conflict whenever it involves real stakes? Did you learn to overcome it, hopefully by choice? And are any of you naturally very capable of scaring off a bear who may be multiple times your strength and size? If so, what is it like and what's your thought process?
I've got this exact type of problem...though my fear is intense enough that I probably would never have gone camping alone in the first place, but maybe that's because I just kind of hate the outdoors. When it comes to other tense situations I'm definitely gonna act as if I am about to be attacked by a bear for doing anything wrong though.

I don't think I'd be able to scare off an actual bear either.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and Xocoyotziin
Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020
You can tie your food up in a tree away from your tent.

And I've always had trouble standing up for myself, too. I hate fighting, I hate conflict. Fortunately, I'm good at talking my way out of fights.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Xocoyotziin and GoodPersonEffed
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
You can tie your food up in a tree away from your tent.
That's what I did when camping in British Columbia. The site at Whistler had hoists to drag your food up into the trees. I never actually understood this, because bears are excellent climbers!

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Mm80 and Good4Nothing
Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020
That's what I did when camping in British Columbia. The site at Whistler had hoists to drag your food up into the trees. I never actually understood this, because bears are excellent climbers!

Yah, but a bear in a tree beats a bear in your tent.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, overcomingfear and GoodPersonEffed
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
I know how to handle dogs but not bears. I knew about hanging the food from trees, but it sounds too late. Are there any other campers around or an office?

I'd recommend looking up what kinds of bears are in the area and how to manage an attack for that kind of bear. Some you confront and yell at, some you play dead. I was thinking that if the absolute worst happened and a bear attacked you, then to do like a shark attack and go for the eyes. No animal does well when its eyes are attacked. And if there are other campers, yelling would bring help, hopefully before teeth are involved, yours or the bear's.

• Hugs
Reactions: Mm80
Sarahlynn

Sarahlynn

Deep breath, stand back, it's time.
Aug 19, 2020
I loved your post, it was just kinda refreshingly different from everything on this forum, and not what I expected going in :haha:

I'm a huge wuzz. I have always thought that if I was ever attacked by a dude it would be easy, just kick him in the nuts and he will fall over in pain! Lol, no. When I get attacked I just freak the fuck out and get completely useless. Same when anyone else get violently attacked, my go-to response is hysterically sobbing. (Must admit that ny anxiety issues can cause hysterical sobbing at way more stupid instances as well, such as my most recent example; fucking up grocery shopping).

Sexual assault is another matter, that just makes me freeze up so that the fucker can proceed mostly as he please. And I get to the hysterically sobbing part afterwards.

I have never met a bear, so hard to know how I would react. I probably would just freeze, lie down, and give up on life right away. Would also depend on the type of beat though, we just had a guy killed by a polar bear in my country, and in that area you are legally required to carry a gun if venturing outside into the wilderness.

View attachment 24f28b7.png
Funny picture attached, no idea why it wont show up...

Aaand now I just realized telling stories about people getting killed by bears is probably kinda bad to someone who is freaking out over bear attack... But polar bears are probably the worst, and probably not an issue where you currently are. I see you are getting actually helpful stuff posted here, so listen to them. The point I ment to make is that you're not alone in being a wuzz. Not sure if thats helpful either though...

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Xocoyotziin, Good4Nothing, GoodPersonEffed and 1 other person
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
And this is why i love SS (obviously not the distress of the op) you just never know whats gonna come up in conversation. Respect to you op, the fact that you have gone camping alone shows you have some strength of character and independance. Maybe your being harsh on yourself.
Please dont let that comment give you a false sense of security though, and think you can beat a bear. They are huge.
Not sure on what you should do in a confrontation with one but storing the food away sounds logical. Apparently they run away if you stay calm and walk backwards while watching them. If you bare with us and stay online, im sure someone will know a bit about this.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Xocoyotziin and Sarahlynn
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
@Sarahlynn that image was hilarious!!!!!

@Xocoyotziin I did some research and found how to assertively confront a bear. The first is for wusses but uses universal body language to communicate boundaries clearly, the second is for those who are more confident.

• Love
Reactions: Xocoyotziin, Good4Nothing and Sarahlynn
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
@Sarahlynn that image was hilarious!!!!!

@Xocoyotziin I did some research and found how to assertively confront a bear. The first is for wusses but uses universal body language to communicate boundaries clearly, the second is for those who are more confident.

GPE i knew you were an expert on boundaries between human beings, but bear boundaries too lol ?

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
GPE i knew you were an expert on boundaries between human beings, but bear boundaries too lol ?

Good boundaries are universal. :pfff:

• Hugs
Reactions: Mm80
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
OP did you survive?

O

overcomingfear

Experienced
Sep 1, 2020
Rip suicide by bear

• Aww..
Reactions: Xocoyotziin
Xocoyotziin

Xocoyotziin

Scorpion
Sep 5, 2020
Lol yeah I made it so far. Something did circle my tent earlier tonight and I flipped the fuck out and bolted but it turned out it was a fox or something lol

• Hugs
Reactions: GoodPersonEffed, Sarahlynn and Dr Iron Arc