W

woundedanimal

Just a wounded animal that should be put down
Jul 12, 2023
What is antifreeze poisoning like?
I've heard from a nurse that someone who's been poisoned with it without their knowledge would typically appear extremely drunk and would go through kidney failure unless they were treated immediately. I was told that it tastes sweet and has the consistency of cough syrup, almost like the drink doctors give you when they test for gestational diabetes.
Is that accurate? How painful would this be? Does anyone know long does it take? Is it easy to diagnose and treat, or is it easy to mistake for something else? If I decide to do that, would I be awake for it?
Give me honesty, would it be a bad way to go? Because "you drink something sweet and feel drunk and then you die" sounds too good to be true.

• Informative
Reactions: marchshift
MatrixPrisoner

MatrixPrisoner

Enlightened
Jul 8, 2023
Firstly:

They don't make it particularly sweet anymore because dogs have been known to lick up puddles of it because of the sweetness.

It is indeed a gradual death. Even if you swallow copious amounts at one time. I know for a fact that it is not instant...

...because I tried this method in 2008. I swallowed 2 cups of it then immediately chickened out and instantly threw it all back up. I don't remember it tasting awful, but I don't remember it tasting overly sweet either. My FWB at the time drove me around for about a half an hour after I threw it all up until I mustered up the courage to finally go the the ER. I was there for 3 or 5 days I think. Then straight to the psych ward prison for the entire week after.

The doctor that treated me did so in silence. I don't think he was in the business of becoming my counselor or therapist and I was too ashamed to ask him if there were any long term effects of what I did. I didn't suffer any permanent damage that I can notice, but I'm sure my kidneys were torn up to some extent. If I somehow live to see old age I'm sure I'll pay the price then. But I guess that would REALLY give me a reaon to CTB, so bring it on I suppose.

• Informative
Reactions: marchshift, rozeske, Nyotei and 1 other person
TransilvanianHunger

TransilvanianHunger

Grave with a view...
Jan 22, 2023
Antifreeze poisoning is mainly caused by metabolites of ethylene glycol, one of the key ingredients of antifreeze.

The phases of ethylene glycol toxicity, from this article.
CNS Phase (1-12 hours post-ingestion)
Toxicity initially resembles alcohol intoxication. Nausea and vomiting may also occur. Severe anion gap metabolic acidosis and convulsions may develop in severe cases.

Cardiopulmonary phase (12-24 hours post-ingestion)
Cardiopulmonary symptoms become evident. Tachycardia, tachypnoea occur. Pulmonary oedema and congestive heart failure usual cause of death.

Renal phase (24-72 hours post-ingestion)
Renal effects may occur, and include oliguria, which can persist for up to 50 days, acute tubular necrosis, and renal failure. Formation of calcium oxalate may lead to hypocalcaemia.

Also, from reading a couple of case reports of ethylene glycol toxicity, it seems like the patients remain conscious, possibly experiencing coughing, palpitations, chest tightness, fever, nausea, agitation.

"You drink something sweet and feel drunk and then you die" is not at all how it goes.

Nyotei

Nyotei

here nor there
Dec 7, 2023
Death via ethylene glycol poisoning occurs slowly over a period of many days. It starts with nausea and vomiting, severe stomach intestinal pain, before it metabolizes and turns into other toxins that shut down your heart and kidneys. A slow, cruel, and agonizing death would occur through organ failure.

If someone wants to ctb by just drinking something, I doubt anything could be much better than SN. Even SN isn't perfect though.

Last edited:
T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
There are now bitterants added into it so it certainly won't be sweet. Not to mention it won't be fast or pleasant. I can't add much beyond what anyone else said and I don't wanna beat a dead horse, but I would say it's advisable to find a different method.

IWishToDie

IWishToDie

I check notifications once per week
Dec 31, 2023
You might as well drink bleach. No OP, don't do it. Sounds horrible. Be a patient boy and find some nitrite or azide like you've been advised to do. Nembutal if you're one in a million lucky. I would rather get high on painkillers and try a partial hanging than drink a n t i f r e e z e

W

woundedanimal

Just a wounded animal that should be put down
Jul 12, 2023
You might as well drink bleach. No OP, don't do it. Sounds horrible. Be a patient boy and find some nitrite or azide like you've been advised to do. Nembutal if you're one in a million lucky. I would rather get high on painkillers and try a partial hanging than drink a n t i f r e e z e
Well at this point, I want a way out by the end of the week, so I'd honestly take a SAW trap over breathing right now.