TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
As someone who was around during the time that Yahoo Answers was around (Yahoo Answers is an Internet forum platform that had people ask questions and other users answer them) before they were defunct, shutdown by Yahoo in 2021. I saw that there were some people who asked questions about CTB and to my chagrin, pro-lifers feel the need to either spew toxicity positivity, talk someone down, or just outright troll them. (I shouldn't be surprised though, it's the Internet after all!) This was also before Reddit became very popular, as I recall, Reddit was also around, but a bit less popular than Yahoo Answers as it was still somewhat less known and visited than other big social media sites at the time. This was around 2008-2010 or so.

Anyways, it annoyed me every time someone was suffering and asked a question regarding CTB or anything, and there are a bunch of pro-lifers who come out to dissuade or talk the person down, and of course the one that takes the disgusting cake; the ones who invoke religion and such. It is not only infuriating and annoying whenever I read about it as it seems to shame, dismiss, and proselytize on people who are suffering and desperately wanting a way out of their suffering, but then being preached on, talked down to, condescended, patronized, and more. To be fair, I understand that on public platforms and the Internet, there are indeed ToS and stuff, which (no surprise!) forbid talk of dangerous, sensitive subjects, including CTB. They are also partly why safe spaces like SaSu exist, because (almost) nowhere else can one even have a rational, open-minded discussion about CTB without being fed toxic positive, platitudes, and all the pro-life spiel!

Of course, over time, I've just stopped frequenting those places and somehow found out about r/SW on Reddit, which of course, still contained many pro-life and anti-choice rhetoric and vibes, but at least I slowly found my way to closer and less pro-life spaces, or at least more philosophical ones that don't automatically view CTB as an irrational or medical problem, but rather a rational and bodily autonomy choice. Even in 2024, I'm glad to be a part of SaSu and similar places, groups, and safe spaces where one can discuss about CTB and do so in a open-minded manner instead of automatically being labelled mentally unsound, defective, or incapable of making rational decisions.

Have you had experiences in the past where you found disgusting pro-life spaces and what were your impressions back then?

Reactions: Archness