Water-Lily

Water-Lily

Enlightened
Dec 26, 2020
I hung out with some friends yesterday. We saw the Barbie party and went to an after party. It was a lot of fun and got to meet some new people/friends

In it I was talking to a girl who is working at getting her bachelors at her own pace. Makes me feel conflicted over how pressured I feel by my father. Like he's forcing me to get on something education wise I'm not ready for

I know I want to do more careers, I just don't have the degree so I'll have to go back to school at some point (and it'd get me away from home)

I wonder if my father is a narc, or just has hard traits, or both

Dealing with my family can be exhausting. I'm just focusing on my job and each day, working on my resume and doing social work research for my masters degree

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep
theslasher

theslasher

psychonaut
Jun 12, 2023
Well these days college is certainly overpriced so I can see why people are trying to find alternate routes, myself included. But for some jobs you definitely need a degree so if that's what you want then go ahead and get it (just don't go to an overpriced private college, do a technical college for your associates and transfer to a state school for your bachelors / masters, work and pay off debt throughout school as much as you can).

Me personally, when I told my dad I hated college and was not interested in any of the degrees, I was surprised that he wasn't mad at me. I thought he might kick me out but he said, "Well if you really hate it that much, then I don't see the point in you doing it." And I think what helped was my big ambitions outside of formal schooling. But if college is the path you want to go on, and it's required for your future career path, it makes perfect sense that your dad is pressuring you to go. He's literally pressuring you to do what's required for the goals you want to achieve.

And I don't know your full story, nothing is black and white. Maybe there are some attributes about him that make him a narcissist, or maybe he's just hard on you. But if your father truly only cared about himself then why would he be pushing you to do the exact thing required to improve your career?

Reactions: Water-Lily
Water-Lily

Water-Lily

Enlightened
Dec 26, 2020
Well these days college is certainly overpriced so I can see why people are trying to find alternate routes, myself included. But for some jobs you definitely need a degree so if that's what you want then go ahead and get it (just don't go to an overpriced private college, do a technical college for your associates and transfer to a state school for your bachelors / masters, work and pay off debt throughout school as much as you can).

Me personally, when I told my dad I hated college and was not interested in any of the degrees, I was surprised that he wasn't mad at me. I thought he might kick me out but he said, "Well if you really hate it that much, then I don't see the point in you doing it." And I think what helped was my big ambitions outside of formal schooling. But if college is the path you want to go on, and it's required for your future career path, it makes perfect sense that your dad is pressuring you to go. He's literally pressuring you to do what's required for the goals you want to achieve.

And I don't know your full story, nothing is black and white. Maybe there are some attributes about him that make him a narcissist, or maybe he's just hard on you. But if your father truly only cared about himself then why would he be pushing you to do the exact thing required to improve your career?
That is true. He's also 60 and is the only family member I can rely on financially. When he retires in a few years, that's it. I'm on my own

So I need to get a grip and get things moving

Reactions: theslasher