Laststop

Laststop

Experienced
Jul 9, 2019
I've been thinking today about the option of just disappearing. I read the book Stranger in the Woods, about the Maine Hermit. That guy spent over 20 years in some thick woods not far from where there were people. He just found a good spot, and if he hadn't been caught stealing food by people who tried long and had to catch him, they say he may never have been found in the spot he settled in. If I go the disappearing route I see two issues. One is being found after you CTB, and there's just no good way to 100% be sure about that. As deep in the woods you go, someone might find you one day. You can only do the best you can.

Then the other one is not leaving a trail for others to follow if someone gets the authorities to search for you. I mean, if I drive way out deep in a scarcely populated area, and walk as deep as I can in the thickest woods I can find, I'm still leaving my car behind somewhere. And they ask for ID to even take a f$*&ing bus now. About the only thing I can think of is the cab company where I live. They'll take people long distance for cash. If I arrange a ride and get a cash price quote using a phone not mine (payphone, if I can find one) and get picked up at a place also not mine, there should be no record of it? If I erase myself as much as I can, and do this, think it'd be like I just vanished?

• Hugs
Reactions: Lifeisatrap, Bluedew, Soul and 1 other person
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
The cab company would know where they took you, though. I'm trying (and failing) to think how it would make sense to have the cab take you far from where you actually want to go.

Laststop

Laststop

Experienced
Jul 9, 2019
The cab company would know where they took you, though. I'm trying (and failing) to think how it would make sense to have the cab take you far from where you actually want to go.
Fair enough. Say I live in the Southern part of my State. But the area that is all forest is at the top part of my State. If I drive myself there in my own car then the car is left behind, and thus tracks me. If I take a bus I have to give a photo ID. The only way I can think of to get to a different part of my State without having to give ID, or leave behind something, is cab. I could walk, or even hitch. But neither is a good option. How would you get there @Soul?

allgood

allgood

Student
Jul 17, 2019
Fair enough. Say I live in the Southern part of my State. But the area that is all forest is at the top part of my State. If I drive myself there in my own car then the car is left behind, and thus tracks me. If I take a bus I have to give a photo ID. The only way I can think of to get to a different part of my State without having to give ID, or leave behind something, is cab. I could walk, or even hitch. But neither is a good option. How would you get there @Soul?
If you were really committed you could just burn the car out when you get near to your destination. A cab driver probably wouldn't remember you anyway.

Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019

Can you take the cab to somewhere midstate near a horse stable, take another cab to the stable, buy a horse, ride it to your destination and set it free?

If you were really committed you could just burn the car out when you get near to your destination. A cab driver probably wouldn't remember you anyway.

On an unusually long trip I reckon the cab driver would remember.

I'm sorry you're contemplating this, even though solving the problem *is* kind of fun. 8]

A

a_strange_day

Arcanist
Jul 16, 2019
public transports as far as you can, cash only, then you walk, walking at a good pace you can do easily 5km/h, and dont forget to throw away you phone