eddy hendryx

eddy hendryx

lay me in the river
Nov 27, 2023
Lately I've been on the search of a job to have at least a source of income for myself and help a little in my home, I spent hours looking online for anything that looked good enough (as long it paid what it said on the job application post), eventually I postulated for a call center (the page was flooding with many jobs of the kind), next day I got a message about having the interview next day, after what felt like a eternal day on the university, I drove where the workplace was, when I arrived I was looking for it for several minutes due to it being a bit hidden, when I get in reception, I give my ID and wrote my info in a visit agenda.

When finally I got called, I walked towards a room with other people planning to postulate for the job too, we were getting a powerpoint presentation explaining what the job was about, basically selling phone plans for people through calls, but the more time we spent listening to their propositions and how everything worked, everyone stood up and got out of that room, reason? Well, in the job application post, there was a salary imposed on the post, but then when we got the real salaries, basically it was way less and if you wanted more, you had to work from Monday to Saturday, hell no. If you wanted to reach the post salary, you had to do successful sales several times to earn a considerable amount, and that is if you're lucky to manage to do that.

When I walked out, I was just laughing of how outrageous this situation was, I was desperate for looking a job and getting money, but I have enough self respect to not put me in a job where I had to work more for less money, then I got home and received a message for a job application in a fast food place, gotta be careful when applying for jobs, everyone now wants you to do their shit like you go to work hard just for the fun of it? Come on please, oh well at least I avoided a bullet with this one. :p (sorry for the crappy english tho i wrote all this in a rush)

• Informative
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, GoatHerder and landslide2
landslide2

landslide2

Experienced
May 6, 2024
I saw recently again how bad Amazon treats its workers from this recent post by a now ex-Amazon driver. You must behave like an automaton under surveillance until they actually replace you with a robot. Every working person should be unionized so employers can't exploit them and treat them like this.

Amawhat

• Wow
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and eddy hendryx
eddy hendryx

eddy hendryx

lay me in the river
Nov 27, 2023
I saw recently again how bad Amazon treats its workers from this recent post by a now ex-Amazon driver. You must behave like an automaton under surveillance until they actually replace you with a robot. Every working person should be unionized so employers can't exploit them and treat them like this.

View attachment 148905
Wow that's pretty messed up, they really want us to become flesh machines whose only purpose is to work for them, while we're getting the bare minimum, holy hell. Definetly the dehumanization of workers is really concerning, and they don't even try to hide it anymore, such a shame.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and landslide2
Ironborn

Ironborn

Experienced
Jan 29, 2024

View attachment 148905
The delivery companies don't care about the small van drivers.
I used to work as an HGV driver for one of the big carriers here in the UK, let's call it ExFed. The HGV drivers are employed by the company itself but all the smaller van drivers (the bulk of the driver force) work for separate smaller agencies.
This is because there is such a high turnover of drivers, the companies moan and wail about health and safety but in reality the amount of deliveries they were given meant to even have a chance of getting it all delivered they had to drive like lunatics.
If there was a crash and it was the drivers fault they could just cut them loose and get in someone else the next day.
The area I covered would comprise of several of the smaller vans areas, I was mostly carrying pallets and heavy bulky items but would constantly have the drivers of the vans in the area I covered asking if I could take odd items that would otherwise have taken them 20 minutes out of their way for one delivery.
Was always funny pulling up in an 18tonne mercedes truck to deliver a single parcel though haha.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori, eddy hendryx and landslide2
landslide2

landslide2

Experienced
May 6, 2024
The delivery companies don't care about the small van drivers.
I used to work as an HGV driver for one of the big carriers here in the UK, let's call it ExFed. The HGV drivers are employed by the company itself but all the smaller van drivers (the bulk of the driver force) work for separate smaller agencies.
This is because there is such a high turnover of drivers, the companies moan and wail about health and safety but in reality the amount of deliveries they were given meant to even have a chance of getting it all delivered they had to drive like lunatics.
If there was a crash and it was the drivers fault they could just cut them loose and get in someone else the next day.
The area I covered would comprise of several of the smaller vans areas, I was mostly carrying pallets and heavy bulky items but would constantly have the drivers of the vans in the area I covered asking if I could take odd items that would otherwise have taken them 20 minutes out of their way for one delivery.
Was always funny pulling up in an 18tonne mercedes truck to deliver a single parcel though haha.
I've heard similar stories about delivery drivers including Amazon. They had to drive like crazy to make all the delivery times and would even have to pee in bottles so as not to lose time. The irony of safety demands meanwhile crazy delivery schedules/demands that inherently increase risks for the drivers and other people on the road.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori